Slim vs Super Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim99, May 14, 2015.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love the Gillette Slim and it gives me a great shave. I like the weight and balance too. But, I'm wondering how it stacks up to a Gillette Super Adjustable. Is the difference only in the handle? I've heard there's a weight difference too. Are they very different from each other?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish I could help you, but the Super Adjustable is on my list of razors to get, and I haven't got it yet. I wish you well.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

If you like your slim then a SA might also suite you given the lighter longer handle. You can also pick up a Lady Gillette for
    About half to 1/3 the price of
    A SA that will shave like your slim on 3-4. If you shave more open consider the SA. If not the Lady is really sweet. If you are collecting then yea, you need one!

Jim99 likes this.
  4. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

the super adjustable and the slim are both great razors. They also have different blades exposures. I own a Super adjustable but have yet to purchase the slim. The slim is a little heavier than the super adjustable also if I recall correctly. Here is a link to an earlier discussion on the topic here at the den http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/slim-vs-black-handle-adjustable.20888/

Jim99 likes this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Slim is nickel plated brass through and through. The Black Beauty is brass and aluminum with plastic in the late models.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I don't know the reason but I enjoy my shaves with my SA more then my slim.

Jim99 and maltedmilk like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, the SA sounds like an interesting razor. I would want to stay away from any plastic. So, I'll go for one of earlier ones. Is there any year to avoid?

8. DEfettish

I have a 71 that is built really good. I think any of the earlier ones from 69 to 74 would be all right. I really can't speak about the later ones.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have both the long and short handle Gillette SS adjustable. I can tell no difference in shave quality; however, I prefer the heft of the long handle version. Unfortunately, if you are looking for one, these guys are going out of sight price wise on the bid and win sites.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    :signs011:

Not by a whole lot. Not enough to say "This is my final answer." However, the last time I compared, I gave the photo finish decision to the Black Beauty (long handle, but I'm not sure that matters. I think the difference is very slight in the head geometry.).

On a different note, I like both enough better than my FatBoy that I recently traded it for a New Deluxe. The FB is in a new loving home where it will be used and my RAD can stop screaming for a New Deluxe. It was a win-win! ...even though stupid RAD was sad to see the FB leave. Go figger.

Jim99 likes this.
  11. DEfettish

I would never give up my Fatboy. It is by far my favorite of the adjustables.

Jim99 and LOOT like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, based on all of the feedback here, it think I have to find myself an SA in the near future. Hmmm... I think I'm starting a razor collection.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have a couple of slims and a couple of super adjustables.
    I really, really liked the long handled on the long handled black beauty.
    I did find it to be a tad less aggressive than the slim though - not a bad thing just something that struck me as I used it.

Looks-wise - chrome vs gold - I am slightly partial to my gold one below.

Razor pr0n photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim99, dangermouse, DaveL and 5 others like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That gold and black looks sweet! I want one.

Jayaruh and spacehobo like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like the slim over the SA. the latter only give me ok shaves, whereas the slim knocks them out of the park.
    I'm thinking the longer handle throws me off. I keep it cause it was my dad's. but not my favorite razor. maybe it'll grow on me with use.

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_1310.JPG
    Today's shave with my 1967 Slim Adjustable. 2.5 passes of shaving excellence. Set on the triple natural(7,7,7) for all passes.
    I also own a 1971 Super Adjustable 109
    IMG_0244.JPG
    I love 'em both! To be honest with the same blade and my eyes closed I couldn't tell the difference when they were both set on "9". My lovely bride handed me the razors and when I was done, gave me that "I've married a nut job" look.

Jim99, dangermouse, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  17. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I have that same razor although the plating on mine is badly worn, especially on the silo doors. Still, it shaves great.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I like the Slim better than the SA. The SA isn't quite as smooth, to me.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Personally I like all the Gillette adjustable razors equally. In my opinion they all perform the same and give great shaves no matter what blade I use in them, although for some reason the Fatboy feels just a little bit more comfortable and more natural while shaving with it, its almost like you can never have an awkward moment with it when going trough all 3 passes. Overall all of the Gillette Adjustables are worth obtaining and actually shaving with them instead of leaving them in the drawer for the sake of collection and collecting dust.... All of my Gillette costed me $140 for all 5 of them and they are all well worth it even if they costed me double for what I paid for them.

[​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Interestingly enough, I bought a Q4 SA long handle but didn't care for it. I sold it after a few months. I'm not sure what it was, but the shaves were never comfortable. I think the safety bar was bent and I didn't know enough at the time to try and fix it. I was not too fond of the long handle either.

However, I do wish I had kept it. I might try one out again in the future.