Slim vs Super Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim99, May 14, 2015.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I own Fatboys, Slims, and 2 Super Adjustable razors - one long handle with the plastic base and a short handle with the metal base. I like the short handle better (not because of the base). I think the handle length on the Super Speed is perfect, so I do prefer a shorter handle.

Truth be told, I get as good a shave out of nearly all of my vintage razors regardless of what they are - Techs, Adjustables, Super Speeds.

Were I put to the fire and told to pick ONE razor - It would be the Fatboy; purely out of emotion, not because it is a better shaver.
    Durability would have to go to a Tech - less moving parts to wear out (don't over tighten it).

Best of both worlds? No emotion? Purely the shave? The Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed. As smooth as a Tech, and with a little more panache.

Jim99 likes this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Have you tried an Aristocrat?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I have not... Yet. I take it they are a nice shave?

I looked at a few on the "bay", but most are out of my price range for now. I need to take an extra On Call weekend and I will add one to my collection.

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

For me they seem to work the best. I have tried a handful but my SS Flare and Aristocrat always seem to shine. The Aristocrat seems to be a bit more aggressive/efficient yet not extremely technique dependent. Example would be I have other razors that get as close maybe closer but I will usually get some irritation or weepers and I have to take my time. Seems as though if I need to I can fly through a shave with my crat and still get very good results without tearing my face up. As always YMMV but those two in particular have stayed in the top for me but the Aristocrat seem to cut a little closer.

Knox likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

+1 on the Aristocrat. I have a late 40's Aristocrat and get great shaves with it. Wonderful razor.

Knox and Stu929 like this.
  6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I wish I could figure out how to date mine. All I know is its pre 50 and works Great!

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver