slims extra turn, really tight?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by casper, Jan 1, 2014.

1. casper

casper Member

so this isnt a big deal, just makin conversation, but on the slim i got, the extra quarter turn to lock the blade in place is really hard to turn. if my hands and the razor are dry, its fairly easy to turn, but when shaving i cant get it to go. anybody have any theorys what would make it so tight? maybe thats just how this one ended up leaving the plant? i tryed everything, from 3 in 1 oil, baby oil, i put some metal polish in the twist part, and just kept twisting it back and forth, and then re applied oil to try and make it looser. any ideas.

2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Just the way it is supposed to be. That is the final lock down to secure the blade. Also, do NOT try to adjust the setting with it locked down. Partially open it up to change the setting. Enjoy it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why is that? I would have thought that the razor was made to be adjusted with a blade in it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. casper

casper Member

well i guess i should have said, really really tight. the other slims iv had i can turn it when my hands are wet, but this darn bugger is really really tight. i figured if i oiled it, it would be like the other ones iv had, but it just aint becoming any easier. maybe it just wasnt used as much as the other ones, and thats how its supposed to be. but it even kinda sticks shut, seems like it needs a good cleaning, but iv done that half a dozen times already, lol.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. casper

casper Member

you can adjust it down with the doors shut, just dont do it when adjusting up. remember to turn the lock alittle more after adjusting it down though.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

When they were new that was the case, as they aged, the open silo rule was developed as a rule of thumb to preserve the tension spring from breaking due to age and wear.

RaZorBurn123 and swarden43 like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Oh OK, that makes sense. When the razors were originally sold, most guys probably adjusted them only a few times for as long as they owned the razor.

Thanks for the illumination!

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As far as the quarter twist, I soaked my black beauty in dish soap for a couple of days. That did the trick.

GDCarrington and Slipperyjoe like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have my dialed in to 8 now and rarely ever change it :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. casper

casper Member

i tried that a few times, but i never kept it there for long. i thought after awhile i would turn the dial up, but so far, i use a slim on 4 or 5. then 3 on the neck, and 2 or even 1 on my upper lip. my skin is like baby skin, its terrible. my dad got that tough leather skin, but i didnt inherit that. if i shave every night, it dont matter what blade i use, theres gonna be alittle redness afterwards. if i go every other day, then the shave is much nicer. problem is, i like shaving this way so much, i do it every night now.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

As I recall a while back, it was Jody that posted an original set of instructions from Gillette, that expressly mentions a caution to open the silo doors of an adjustable prior to adjustment in order to prevent breakage. And oil will only wash off. Try the dish detergent soak for now and see what happens. The only guaranteed solution would be a partial tear down and cleaning of the tension spring and chamber and this is quite tricky, especially on the slim, as the razor was never meant to be taken apart...

GDCarrington and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  12. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Casper, are you speaking about the Slim I sent you?

13. casper

casper Member

yea, doesnt it seem a bit tight? or is it just fine, and supposed to be like that?

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

It is functioning exactly as it's suppose to. I knew you were looking for one that was as close to "unused" condition as you could get. I went through each of the 11 I own to make sure you were receiving the best. The one I sent you was in perfect working order. Maybe the ones you've had were not working correctly so it makes this one appear to not be functioning properly. Also, please heed Bobcat's info and loosen the doors before changing the settings.

Bobcat and GDCarrington like this.
  15. casper

casper Member

yes, always do loosen it up before adjusting. now thats what i was starting to think, because the other slims ive seen the knurling on the handle is worn down from use over 50 years, but the one you gave me the knurling still has good definition to it. it sure is nice, i got it her all cleaned up and been taking good care of it.

johnus and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Mine is working great and is the same way. If my fingers are wet its actually hard for me to loosen it up...I need to dry my hands before I can get enough of a 'grip' to loosen it up :)

BigT likes this.