Smack Down: Schick vs Gillette?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, May 28, 2013.

?

Which Razor Gives The Better Shave?

1. Gillette Slim

30.4%
  2. Schick Adjustable Injector

69.6%
  1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I have gotten great shaves from both the Schick Adjustable Injector and the Gillette Slim Adjustable. So here's my question. If you had to choose only one, which razor gives the better shave? Consider using the best blades too regardless of cost. Both of these razors were available around the same time period, so people at the time (late sixties) had to make this choice too.

Gillette Slim.JPG SchickDial.JPG

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

When I was just starting out, the injectors gave me better results. I think the learning curve is a little shorter for them. But now that my DE technique has got better they both do a nice job for me.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wasn't overly impressed by either. I found my Adjustable Injector to be harsh and don't much care for TTO razors due to the thickness of the head. If I had to pick one, it would be the Gillette.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Probably Schick over Gillette...But now I truly believe GEM was the the monster company for Safety Razors...They were ahead of Gillette at every turn....and their Micromatic even beat Gillette to the TTO punch...and their TTO mechanism is much more sophisticated and better built....plus the Micromatic is a better shaver than any Gillette I've tried... YMMV...ha,ha,ha....The only competition I believe would come from some of their earlier models like maybe the Damaskeene, 1912's or the Gem Junior Bar LC....and Ever Ready also built razors that I much prefer to all the Gillettes...like the ER 1914, 1924 and their version of the earier GEM...the ER 1912....

Discovering Gem's engineering superiority is shocking....it has rocked my shaving world...

178-bplatoon, fram773 and Lothar101 like this.
  5. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

I would say the Schick for me as it is easier to maneuver around my face.

Leo K. likes this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

For a buck seventy-nine, I'd go with the slim..:happy088:

7. GlennConti

Would you change your mind if you knew the Schick was only $1.50?

SchickAdjustable.JPG

GDCarrington and Slipperyjoe like this.
  8. GlennConti

Then there's the James Bond factor. In "Goldfinger" James is shown with a Gillette Slim. He takes a homing device out of the razor handle, activates it and puts it in his shoe. This was shortly before the barn scene with P. Galore if I'm not mistaken.

9. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Which razor gives the better shave? A Schick Adjustable or a Gillette Slim? Hmmm.

My preference would be the Pal Adjustable, a better razor than either of the Schick or Gillette adjustables.

10. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Roger Moore used a standard injector in one of those movies.

11. GlennConti

You are right! This is James Bond in "Live and Let Die". However, it looks like it could be a Schick Adjustable??

RogerMoore.jpg

12. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Possibly....but I don't think so, product placement in the Roger Moore Bond movies were huge. Live and Let Die came out in 1973 they stopped making the Adjustable Schick in 1972. I don't think Schick would have paid for a razor that was about to be discontinued.

I just nerded out on so many levels with that statement.:cool:

GlennConti likes this.
  13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I think it looks like an L1. Weren't they still making the L1 in 1973?

14. GlennConti

Here's the underside of a Schick L1: Looks like what Roger has in his hand.

SchickL1.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

16. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

I'll say Gillette, but I absolutely love my Edwin Jagger!!!

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

As I've already expressed my affinity for GEMs and Ever Readys.....in this situation I have to go Schick....I do place my I2 and my favorite SEs as equal whisker whackers....

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, @Bird Lives, we know you like the GEMs. Thanks for taking a stand on the question at hand.
    I, too, choose Schick. I've been shaving with the L1, but tomorrow I will be shaving with the good old M2 adjustable. It handles like a sports car instead of a truck. Love the ad.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I answer in the affirmative! ;)

20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I went with the Schick. I prefer 3-piece DEs over TTOs but the Slim still gets a turn once in a while.