So I'm all vintaged up now...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mr. Shaverman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Just won an auction for a 1951 Gillette Super Speed Black Tip W2. I've wanted to see what all the vintage fuss was about, so this will do it, I'd guess. I got a pretty good price on it, I think. Less than $20, and less than a new Weishi 9306, which I believe is modeled after this.

2. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

I have a 52 black tip x2 it's my birth year/quarter. It's light on handle but I get a really good shave with it, especially with Astra SP's or Personna blue. I have a small hand and the handle is just right for me! If however, you have a larger hand you may struggle for grip.
    Anyway nice razor and certainly on or better than my EJ 89L. Good luck...

Forgot to add that the black tip was only made for a couple of years so they don't come up often..

3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Let us know how you like it. I am in the process of grabbing a vintage razor or two as well...

4. Mr. Shaverman

I know the black tips were only around a couple of years, but for some reason I've been seeing quite a few of them on ebay in the last couple of weeks. They also seem to be going at decent prices.

5. Mr. Shaverman

And when it rains it pours... Ever put out some low bids on things to play the odds? Then have the odds pay off more than you needed? lol

Today I won a 1962 Gillette Super Speed. So from 0 to 2 vintage razors in 1 week.

6. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Found a "51" W4, for $5 a while back, been using it a lot, and really like it. Yeah they seem to be pretty reasonably priced, even on ebay. Well worth the $20.