So it's possible to reupholster old gillette cases

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gemmicro, Jul 2, 2014.

1. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I know there's not much info on the web, and some may look down upon this, but if you have an old case, it is possible to reupholster it on the inside. I recently bought a nice gold tech with the original box, but the inside of the box looked rough. The material was ripped, the steel under tray rusting, and some water damage. I took the case all apart; the top is a cardboard insert covered in a velvet material, and the bottom consists of a steel trey covered in the same material. The steel tray also sits into an insert made out of a goldish cardboard like material. It all pulled apart quiet nicely, probably due to its age and water damage. I just cut some new velvet ( as close to the original as I could find), recover the steel tray and cut a piece or the hinge. Then I just got some cardboard stock (like 0.125" or 0.0625" thick) and made a new top insert. You can use auto headliner spray adhesive like 3m to glue the material.
    Put it all back together and this is the result. next time I'll take pictures of the process, I wasn't even sure this was going to work, but I've done a lot of work with fabric. I've made plenty of carpeted sub woofer boxes, and lined some cigar boxes to house my razors.
    I wish I took a before picture.

Attached Files:

TitanTTB, Slow Joe, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  2. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I do have an original photo but it's not up close.

Attached Files:

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Excellent job! Looks like new again! :happy096:

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

Thank you. I love giving new life to these old razors.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Great work! Enjoy!

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

7. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

My philosophy is that if it's in dire shape and not super rare, refinish it, and make it use able and look damn good. From a user and seller point of view, usability and looks are key.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Great job! Now I want to refurbish my Old Type case. :)

9. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

Old type would probably be a little harder, just because it looks like a lot of ridges. The only down side to this is if you still have the gillette logo on the original material, you will loose it. It would be nice to know how they got the logo on the material, so it could then be replicated on the new stuff.

Slow Joe and Tdmsu like this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I agree with that! I see so many ratty looking cases for all kinds of things, not just razors, on Ebay. I know some people like it like that, but for me I'd rather not have a case at all. Your reupholstering was great.

11. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I often wondered if these cases could be restored to their former glory. In good condition these cases look great, in bad condition, they look ready for the scrap heap. You have done a great job saving this one. :)

Tdmsu likes this.