So, you want an injector....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bronco, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

........there are billions out there. Here are three examples:
    [vbpg]826[/vbpg]
    A beautiful 1937 butterschotch handle Schick, a 1960's J1 Schick and a PAL injector, date unknown.
    Many of these razors look good but may be past their prime.
    [vbpg]827[/vbpg]
    Here I've started to open up the Schick lever, I've covered the pliers with tape to help prevent damage. Be careful, the metal may be brittle.
    [vbpg]828[/vbpg]
    Here's the inside, rust and gunk, this is after an electrostaic cleaning. Time for a toothrush and elbow grease. This razor also is loose, it doesn't hold the blade tight so I'll tighten it up a little. This adjustment won't last forever, the metal seems to have a memory and loosens again. The newer off-brand blade injectors aren't much help either after you wrestle the blade in place.
    [vbpg]829[/vbpg]
    This J1 is in pretty good shape and doesn't need to be "hammered".
    [vbpg]831[/vbpg]
    The PAL is the worst of the lot and the adjustment needed won't last long, this one is easy to get too tight.
    [vbpg]830[/vbpg]
    Injectors are good razors if you get a good one. I know several of you shave with one and enjoy using them. I thought it might be a good time to start a thread with tips and tricks or the injector you like best.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Great post, and excellent photos Steve! :happy088

I have a bakelite-handled Injector, much like the 1937 model pictured here. Looks great, but needs a thorough cleaning. I would imagine it would make a great shaver.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

They do. ::

Had one, gone now.

4. Smedley

Smedley New Member

My bakelite injector is my fav, I have a J type but I don't like it as much for a shave.

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

So what if they are past there prime. My entire shave den is past its prime. Does not bother me one bit.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm fairly certain Steve doesn't mean the razors are past their prime in the way a Mach3 user would say the injectors are past their prime.

Steve can speak for himself, but I believe he means some of these style razors are non-salvageable.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Right, there are tons of these available but you may have to purchase several in order to get a good one. Some of these can be tightened up but it won't last forever. Some are just past their usefulness. You wouldn't want a DE that has bent rails and doesn't hold the blade properly. All that said, a Schick injector was one of my first two razors and they do provide a pretty good shave especially under time constraints.

8. fritz

fritz New Member

There are some more pictures of Schick injectors in my gallery. Here's one:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And some oldies:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Fritz, I was waiting for you to surface. You've got some great ones!

10. fritz

fritz New Member

Thanks! Those magazine repeaters are really fantastic bits of machinery. But if you note the blade exposure, you have to shave carefully with them!:eek:

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Very sharp (no pun intended) pics Fritz!

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Yes it was...........and it was very good too! :D

13. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Just recently acquired an E-3 and a L-1 injector. I really enjoy shaving with them. I have only used the Ted Pella blades but they seem to work great. I have seen posts that say the injector blades last long than DE blades, but I still change them after three shaves. I also have one of those magazine repeaters but I have never used it.

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Johnnie, I had forgotten that you have injectors. Could you post a pic of the repeater? I was wondering about the Pella blades, may have to try them.

Regards,