Soap / cream recommendations?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Irishgator, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

I am considering trying going away from the shaving gel. I want to start with a simple process that is not too expensive. I will expand in the future if I find it better than just a gel.

I would appreciate a good starting recommendation for a rookie...

Thanks!

Zilla likes this.
  2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

For a rookie just starting out I would recommend Van Der Hagen shaving soaps. It can be purchased at Wal Mart depending what country your in. It usally comes in a starter kit with a bowl and shaving brush. It is cheap and lathers well. Also you have Arko shaving stick. I like this a lot, it is cheap as well. You will see there is many to choose from!!!!! It is best to just get away from the canned stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW welcome to the DEN.

Irishgator and Sodapopjones like this.
  3. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Proraso is an excellent way to go! It is affordable and one of the best soaps I have tried!

mark_s and awake2shave like this.
  4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

+1 Porrasso was my starter soap aswell and is still in my regular rotation

mark_s likes this.
  5. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Same here. If I had to abandon all but two, I'd keep the Proraso soap and the Taylor of Old Bond Street lavender (there are a variety of scents). Both lather well and treat your face right.

6. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Proraso green! Wonderful soap, slick, inexpensive and smells great! If you like eucalyptus and menthol. My favorite so far.

mark_s and awake2shave like this.
  7. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Keep in mind that you'll need a shaving brush as well, get a decent one,it makes a difference.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Proraso is great, (I use mine every week) also get a good brush (unless you have one already) Omega boars are very good and cheap and many different ones to choose from.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I too recommend the Walmart starter kit, for $8 and some change its not a bad start and its easy enough to find without having to fiddle around with anything....

I still use the cheapo VDH, its just melted into a different container ;)

sotd4192012.jpg

10. Irishgator

Irishgator New Member

Thanks! I like the Walmart suggestions so I can get it easily. A combo pack seems like a great way to start until I see if I like it enough to invest!

KLF likes this.
  11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

RazoRock line of soaps, also our TSD soaps are both great soaps and value.

12. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

+1

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. TSD soaps and creams are fantastic.

What I can buy locally (southern New Jersey, right across the river from Philly):
    -- Van der Hagen soap, Williams Mug soap, Kiss My Face cream -- these three can be found in drugstores, as well
    -- C.O. Bigelow cream (re-branded Proraso) at Bath & Body Works
    -- L'Occitane Cade soap at L'Occitane stores in some malls
    -- Crabtree & Evelyn soaps & creams at Crabtree & Evelyn stores in some malls
    -- Art of Shaving soaps & creams at Art of Shaving stores in some malls

14. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I believe that some of the Targets are now beginning the carry the VDH starter kit.

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

All good soap suggestions. Van der Hagen and Kiss My Face are the easiest to not mess up, so they're my recommended place to start.

For a brush, the Shea moisture Brush sold at some Target stores is both very good and inexpensive at about $9. Otherwise, I'd order online, either the Van der Hagen badger or an Omega boar.

16. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

I really like Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus and TOBS Sandalwood. Both are relatively inexpensive and will last a long time...

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Arko Shave Sticks work great and are inexpensive. Pick up a couple of them and an inexpensive Omega boar brush.

18. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

For most in the USA I'd suggest C.O. Bigelow from Bath&Body Works along with either a Shea Moisture or VanDerHagen badger at Target. A very efficient kit for about $20.

19. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

He could also just use the Bigelow brushless, but I'm not getting vibe hes actually going to jump into this like some think, if you read his posts.

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1