Soap making?

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by VintageModMan, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

There are many all veg shaving soaps out there with Stearic Acid and Coconut Oil as the main two ingredients. check out this thread: Rockclimbers Soap Making Adventure

VintageModMan likes this.
  2. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

Thank you I look into this more!!

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I was going to start making my own, but after researching thoroughly, it seems there are some great values in tremendous quality soaps out there without the hassle. I elected to buy from them instead.

ninjack, RyX, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  4. VintageModMan

There is always that chance. Once I delve into it that may be my conclusion. I've found diy on a lot just has an expensive startup but its cheaper in the end. Beard oil for example is very costly. Making your one is miles cheaper per ml.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Have fun with it!! It would great once you get the kinks out.

6. VintageModMan

Just because I'm getting ready to get some straights. I slapped this together tonight its a little rough but it will do. Just putting off the soap diy till I know more. IMG_20170307_221621.jpg

ninjack and Linuxguile like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It should be noted that stearic acid can be obtained from either animal or vegetable sources and therefore a soap containing stearic is not veg just because. FWIW soy wax is also very high in stearic acid and is a good choice for those looking for a veg, non-palm oil derived source.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've been making my own bath soaps for a number of years. If tou can read, comprehend what you're reading, and follow instructions, you can make soap. It's not much more difficult than making a pancake batter. All you need are
    lye
    fats (acids)
    PPE
    a recipe
    some sort of mold
    old cookware
    And...patience.

I don't make shave soap. There are far too many superior soapers out there for me to even bother. Bath soap however, I'm making a much better product for much less cost...well, now I am. Start up was pricey.

ninjack and RyX like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Natural can be used as a marketing ruse. Natural doesn't necessarily mean gentler, safer or better performing. Radioactive crude oil and snake venom are both all natural, but aren't really very good for people. Just something to think about...and fwiw, animal fat soaps can be "all-natural" too, and in my experience typically outperform vegetable based soap for shaving applications.

RyX, Keithmax and VintageModMan like this.
  10. VintageModMan

I guess that's what I'm more looking for is fat, veg derived products. Im not a huge fan of chemicals added to products. Call me hippy or whatever you want but most things can be made without.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'll call you determined and decisive! There are plenty of boutique makers and supply houses that can help you find things that will suit your criteria.

12. VintageModMan

I hope so. I grew up on my grandparents farm. They grew and made a lot of their own things and my great grandma was cherokee. They were very sufficient people. I don't farm personally but I like the idea of being self sufficient for as much as I can. I.E. personal hygiene products. Lots of the products have acids, silicone and alcohols in them. There are great products out there that have many synthetic. I just don't often use them lol.

13. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

This song popped into my head after looking at this thread:

RyX and VintageModMan like this.
  14. VintageModMan

Well I took some advice and checked out my options. I ended up getting a shea butter soap base. Mixed with some coconut oil, finely ground clove and bergamot essential oils. I'll try lathering it up tomorrow. [​IMG]

Jayaruh Owners Club (JROC)

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  15. VintageModMan

I didn't get a big amount of lather but the lather I did get was nice and stiff. And smelled great. This may be a keeper.

Jayaruh Owners Club (JROC)

dapper636 likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Another though on stuff to add- have you tried goat milk? I only work with Melt & Pour soaps, because I am just no up for handling lye in my kitchen. But some of the bases I buy contain goat milk and I use then in my shaving blend. It lathers well & leaves nice, moist skin.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I would personally like to have the original Williams Mug Soap recipe. I have nothing against animal fats at all. Keep in mind that if you're trying to reduce _processed_ ingredients, you almost have to eliminate most of the vegetable sourced ingredients. This isn't necessarily a good thing.

Although it's all natural, and used almost no processed ingredients, I REALLY don't think I'd enjoy my grandmother's lye soap, especially not for shaving. It was made with soot and ashes from the fireplace, mixed with fat from the animals they slaughtered. I mean, you can't get much less processed than that :) (Cue up Johnny Stanley's "It's In The Book (Grandma's Lye Soap)" )

Sara-s likes this.
  18. VintageModMan

So the soap I put together smelled awesome but didn't lather at all. I'm sure I'll have better future attempts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thinking about trying again?

My dad's a chemist. We've talked about it, but mom isn't having any of that in her kitchen... She gets upset when ever we start talking about growing portobello mushroom. Or getting a pet goat.

SharptoothC and RetLEO-07 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy097: