Soap or cream?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by flettaloff, Jan 8, 2014.

1. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

What is the best buy between sosp and cream? Now i'm just using gillette gel on a box and I really want to try the real deal but i'm not sure what to buy?

2. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Buy both, start with TSD soap, which is not very expensive. And they also have Palmolive cream, again not very expensive. Both are high quality. You may be like most around here and use both.

have fun with it

Dave

3. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Wow that's a decision you will have to make in time. Creams tend to be easier at making lather but creams are soap with more water on them. Just starting off I would recommend trying both. My picks would be for cream Mem Olive and soap Arko both easy to find and won't break the bank.
    Welcome to the Den.

4. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

Thanx! I will try both!;)

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Using either is really just a matter of preference, while one may work better for you than another they both do the're jobs equally well....I'd second the above answers and say buy both so you can really know if you have a preference..Although I use creams on occasion, I prefer hard soaps myself, with as of now at least, Arko leading the way...Two inexpensive and locally available soap choices would be a puck of Van der Hagan Delux hard soap and a tube of C.O. Bigelow for a cream...Another soap application choice you may want to check out is a "shave stick"..I've never seen any locally, but you can find Arko, Palmolive,Speick,etc. easily online.. :)

Another tool you will need is a brush and bowl..Van der Hagan sells a shave kit(brush,bowl and puck of Delux shave soap) relatively cheap and locally,sometimes you can find the kit sold under a storebrand a little cheaper... :signs046: to the addiction errrr hobby....:)

Bobcat and fram773 like this.
  6. flettaloff

flettaloff Member

Thanx for good answer!;) do you know where I can buy all this?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Personal preference. Some prefer soaps, some prefer creams.

Me, I prefer soaps. They take a little longer to lather up, but I like the ritual. Creams are a bit easier to lather.

As for one or the other providing more slickness or cushion than the other, I can't tell the difference in general. I do know a good soap from a bad soap, and a good cream from a bad cream. But put a good cream up against a good soap, as I said, I can't tell the difference on my face or with my shave.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'm with Steve here. I too prefer soaps, but that's from personal preference also.

However, a soap last longer than a cream, so the price-ratio is in the soaps favor.

PanChango likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I prefer soaps, except when I prefer creams. There is nothing that says it has to be all or nothing. Use both.

I agree with Martin about the price per shave being in favor of soap. That said, I think you have more scent over the lifetime of the product with shave creams.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Van Der Hagen shave kit w/soap should be at Walmart or Target...Some Drug stores as well. C.O. Bigelow cream is at Bath & Bodyworks.

Creams are probably easier for Newbies to get a decent lather with.

TSD has great creams and soaps as well.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd start with TSD store. You also can pick up some M-Bomb. Which will bring your shave to an entire new level. Happy shaving!

12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I actually find creams harder to lather because I have to squeeze the right amount out. Much more intuitive to get the right soap amount IMO.

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

It's fairly difficult to find a less expensive soap than VDH that's even close to as easy to lather; VDH has the advantage of being widely available in pharmacies and even grocery stores.

For myself, I find VDH just as easy to lather as the cream I've used.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Soaps are always my preference, but creams are quicker—if I'm in a rush—which isn't a common occurrence when I decide to shave. Some good suggestions in this thread to get you going in a proper direction. ;)

15. tuxxdk

The VDH Select I have is quite harder to lather than compared to other soaps, eg. Speick, Arko, D.R. Harris etc. It took me a while to figure it out. It turned out I found that it needs a brush that's a lot wetter than normal.

VDH here is a ghost, wastly expensive due to import from the US.

16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Excellent example of YMMV, then. Here - and, from what I can tell, elsewhere in the USA - it's abundantly available, and I honestly rarely see people say they have difficulty making it lather. That's not to say your experience is wrong.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a lot of creams, but prefer soaps. I think they do a better job at moisturizing my face.

My favorite creams: Palmolive Menthol, Mem Olive, Mem Original, Ingram, Proraso Red.

My favorite soaps: Mike's Natural Barbershop stick, Palmolive stick, Cella, Proraso White, Irisch Moos, Tabac, Stirling.

With the exception of Irisch Moos (discontinued,) all these items can be bought reasonably cheap.

Check out vendors like Bull Goose shaving, Razor Blades and More, West Coast Shaving, and Italian Barber.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. tuxxdk

Yes but that is USA. Our friend here is from Scandinavia. I doubt he'll be able to find VDH locally. Europe, especially Scandinavia is a whole other world when it comes to wet shaving. We're sadly a cartridge/canned goo part of the world.

Get it on eBay. Forget US vendors, it'll break your bank in shipping alone when compared to eBay vendors close by.

19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

True story. The only wet shaving thing I know of from Scandinavia is Fitjar soap.

Connaught in England might be cheaper. So would Barbiere di Figaro in the Netherlands.

tuxxdk likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

Fitjar is from Norway so that might be a good start for OP.

Good tip, Ryan!

Ryan B likes this.