Soap Pass-Around 2016 Volume I

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Eton college is an absolute must. It smells fantastic and lathers super easily. It is phenomenal.

PLAla likes this.
  2. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well it would seem I need to get some barrister and Mann now

twhite, Rockclimber, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Barrister and mann is easily in my top 3 soaps

Rockclimber and PLAla like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Beautiful lather! Glad you enjoyed it.

5. whiteboy_cannon

[​IMG]
    Gave the TOBS Eton College a shot today. Wasn't originally planning on using it, but the scent is just too awesome. Loved it

PLAla and Straight razor dandy like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Great shave!

PLAla likes this.
  7. PLAla

@whiteboy_cannon has informed me that the box is on the move. Off to it's final recipient - @NickMach007. When he's finished it will return to me. My plan is to start another pass-around but might wait until after the holidays so that everyone isn't so busy. Stay tuned!

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

If you do start again, put me on the list.
    I'm not sure if we are voting, but I am for starting sooner rather than after the holidays because I still have to shave before and during the holidays, lol

dustmite, twhite and PLAla like this.
  9. whiteboy_cannon

10. PLAla

I'm just thinking that lots of people go out of town and there are tons and tons of boxes being shipped at that time. It would be easy for the pass-around box to get lost in the shuffle!

youngunn likes this.
  11. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

I'll be on the lookout this week! I understand the eagerness for another passaround, but I'd vote after the holidays as well. Depending on the week, I might be out of town, or just sleeping in and skipping a shave.

PLAla likes this.
  12. PLAla

@NickMach007 - tracking says the box was delivered yesterday. Did it make it okay? Take your time with all the sampling and let us know your opinions and thoughts!

13. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

yes, box arrived safe and sound. Have not had a chance to shave with any of the soaps yet, but reviews will be incoming this weekend for sure!

Straight razor dandy and PLAla like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Let us know what your "smell test" opinions are

NickMach007 and PLAla like this.
  15. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

Absolutely. I gave everything a very quick sniff last night. I'm not sure about that cedarwood scent. Not bad, but not sure if I want to smell like a woodshop. I'll try it though if for no other reason than to test out the soap itself.

16. PLAla

@NickMach007 You doing okay with the soap box? Let us know your impressions and what you shaved with!

17. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

Hey sorry I didn't get anything posted this weekend. But I had a chance to get 3 shaves in so far.
    First I didn't post a pic, but look back at post #269--nothing has changed. So, I have already used Stirling quite a bit, so I gave MITA a sniff--and it indeed does smell like a frozen margarita. The Vanilla sandalwood smells like a candle to me--very heavy vanilla fragrance, Sandalwood was muted. And the wintergreen--well like a wintergreen mint. I am not going to use any of these since I know an enjoy Stirling--but I prefer Executive man, Stirling noir, Mountain man, etc much better.
    I sniffed all the little Ice samples (Mama Bear if I am remembering correctly)--I couldn't really smell anything much.
    I live in Nashville--so I was interested to see a soap from a local maker--but that cedar is just too much. But to be fair it smells like REAL cedarwood oil. But I do enough construction projects that I don't necessarily want to smell like wood when I'm going in to work ;) I will still try it though to see how the soap base is.
    MWF--very faint. I smelled something mild, unoffensive, bland, not sure how else to describe this scent.
    Derby--smelled like lemon. A bit like sprite to me. Not bad, though I usually prefer soap over cream.
    Col. Conk- smelled heavily mentholated and citrus behind that--good thing it is going to be 87 Degrees in November, otherwise I'd be hesitant to still be suning menthol soaps right now.
    Razorock- very mild, smelled like almond to me.
    Tiki--this was confusing. I didn't get any Rosemary, Mint or Lavender in the smell test. I let me wife (who has a better nose than I do) and she said "Camphor." This was very disappointing honestly.
    I did smell the Bar Harbor brut--but now I forgot what it smelled like, though I remember it being fairly mild as well.

Shave#1: I went right for the MWF. I had a pretty easy time getting it to lather. It felt fairly slick and the shave was quite nice. The scent was still mostly non-existent wet, but that's ok. I found this to be a middle of the road soap for me. Decent lather, decent slickness, no scent. I'm glad I tried it, but this is not one I would spend money on since there are definitely better soaps out there for reasonable money. But it was not bad at all, and if someone gave me a puck, I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at it.

Shave #2: Tiki. This was mixed for me. This scent is...bad. Usually I would just say, not for me, but I almost wonder if this was a bad batch or something. I don't understand. I like lavender, mint, and rosemary, but this was not enjoyable (though not offensive) scent-wise. As for the soap itself, I actually give it a big thumbs up. It felt slicker to me than the MWF, and the post shave feeling was nicer as well. I would try Tiki again (if I can find any)--BUT not this scent.

Shave #3: Mama Bear (I think) grapefruit ice: I've tried stirling menthol soaps and citrus soaps (lemon, lime), so I elected to try a grapefruit scent. I was a bit sorry I did. Now, this is not a bad scent. Personally I prefer either natural scents or occasionally a classic cologne scent. This one is neither. It is a mild scent, and smells more like grapefruit candy than true grapefruit. That being said, the menthol was mild, but nice (it was 85 degrees here yesterday). The slickness was decent, but I found the lather to be THICK and luscious the first pass and then very unstable (ie thinning quickly) by the second pass. Not sure if this was user error, but I don't typically have this problem. All in all I put this one in between MWF and Tiki as far a performance goes. I would try Mama Bear again (and might if I have time), but using a different scent and see if I can get a more stable lather.

More reviews to come -- though my face needs a day off I don't typically shave everyday--but I have now for 4 days in a row.

whiteboy_cannon and PLAla like this.
  18. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011: Looks like a lot of good stuff got added, and I actually have some things that I can throw in for round 2!

PLAla likes this.
  19. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

Ok, 2 more shaves to report.
    Razorock. This is the essence of a good soap at a great price. These soaps can be found for dirt cheap if you are patient. This one smells like almonds. Not a scent I would buy, but very pleasant and mild if that's your jam. The performance for me is always solid. Is it the best in any category? No, but all the qualities are pretty decent and I can get a very good shave with it. I've been meaning to try some of their "X" series to check out the scents- and this was a reminder to do it!

Col. Conk - I forget the name, but it was something sunrise (tequila?).
    This one was very lemony. Again not a scent I would choose, but nothing offensive about a lemon! I think this would make a nice warm weather soap. I think this is a glycerine based soap (but I'm trying not to bias my reviews by looking things up). This was also an average soap for me. Decent lather and slickness, but nothing that knocked my socks off. And lemon scents are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad soap but I like a little complexity in my scents and I really am trying to only keep soaps I love these days.

I'll do a few more shaves this weekend and the box will be headed home on Monday. Thank you again for the opportunity to participate.

PLAla likes this.
  20. PLAla

Thanks for the reports!