Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Saturday From Florida!

Hot Shower
    RAB Scuttle
    Mama Bear Dublin Tweed
    Vey/Mac Flat Top
    R41
    Treet Carbon (2)
    Cold Water Rag
    Blenheim Bouquet

IMG_20170211_102118-1024x938.jpg

2-Passes, WTG/XTG = DFS!

I like the scent of the soap, the lather was a bit pillowy at first, but I got it dialed in at the last try. I have been face lathering for so long I have lost the knack for bowl lathering.

I usually don't shave on the weekend, but wanted to throw shave in this thread to keep it going.

Off to gnaw on some cow!

2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I just got word that a large box came in the mail, and I quote, "smells like the detergent isle threw up." I can only assume that the box has arrived! I can't wait to get home and see the goodness within!

PLAla, ob1page and RyX like this.
  3. dustmite

Finally got home to the box. My first impression? Wow, that's a lot of soap! It's going to take me awhile just to "sniff through" the box. My initial thoughts on the soaps I was most looking forward to: Ghost Town Barber, which I was really excited about, I don't care for. Stirling Piacenza is also one I don't like. Razorock Caribbean Vacation is one I'm considering swapping out if no one is opposed. I will leave a good sized sample of anything I do take...

ob1page, RyX and PLAla like this.
  4. dustmite

First Box shave was Crowne & Crane Tobacco and Amber. What a fantastic soap! I was instantly taken back to my early childhood, when my dad smoked a pipe. I have never been able to figure out exactly what he smoked, but this soap smells just like his cold pipe. Performance was on par with anything else I've used, not quite as slick as Stirling, for example, but every bit as cushiony, and super easy to lather. I am definitely putting this on my "must buy" list!

RyX, PLAla and ob1page like this.
  5. hvacguy85

hvacguy85 Well-Known Member

Are forum newbies allowed to get in on this? If so I'm interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  6. dustmite

I just realized that I forgot to take pictures of the box when I got it... I'll lay out the contents in the morning, and apologize for my faux pas.

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Sure thing! PM me your name, address, email and phone number. I'll get you added.

RyX and ob1page like this.
  8. dustmite

20170212_080506.jpg

It showed up just about stuffed to bursting! Good thing I spent so much time playing Tetris when I was a kid!

9. dustmite

20170212_081248.jpg

My intended "puts" if I can squeeze them in. They are unused. I also have a roughly 85-90% full tub of Cella that I plan to put in. I'm not a big fan of almond scents, I guess.

10. dustmite

Quick question, some of the containers in the box are way bigger than the contents. Is anyone opposed to me putting some of the soaps into marked baggies to make some room?

11. dustmite

That is a GORGEOUS brush!

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thank You! The knot is a Shavemac D01 Two-band Silvertip Flattop knot. The size/loft is approx 21/42 mm.

The handle is a big bump beehive in disco, from Rudy Vey. Rudy turned the handle and installed the knot.

PickledNorthern, RyX, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  13. PLAla

That will be fine! You guys need to take some soaps to help make room!

dustmite, RyX and ob1page like this.
  14. dustmite

Time to eat some crow... I opened up the Ghost Town Barber first thing, because it really seemed like something I'd like from the description. I think my nose was burned out last night, because I am head over heels for it now! I decided to keep approximately 2/3 of the tub, and put the other 1/3 in a baggie for the rest of the pass to have a chance with it. I also kept a small bit of the TSD Bay Rum in the tub, and put the rest in a baggie. I'm trying to make some room in the box...
    20170212_151551.jpg 20170212_151615.jpg

PLAla, ob1page and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good for you! That's what this is all about. Thanks for leaving a sample for those that follow :happy088:

PLAla, ob1page and dustmite like this.
  16. dustmite

A big thank you to, in no particular order: @ezlovan of Stirling, @Salty Belle of Route 66, @Crowne & Crane and @Jeeves of Hudson Street, both self-named, and @soapbuddy of Ginger's Garden. I took a sample from each vendor, excluding Stirling as I already own half of their lineup, making sure to get some of each formula for Crowne & Crane and Ginger's Garden. I will give more detailed thoughts when I get to use them, but I can say that they all smell great!

17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'm surprised the ghost town barber lasted this long honestly. It is a VERY sought after soap

PLAla, ob1page and dustmite like this.
  18. dustmite

I used Mitchell's Wool Fat tonight. This is a soap I've been wanting to try for years. It always seems to be at the top of the soap lists, but has a reputation for being difficult to work with. The smell, to me, is very middle of the road. I found it to have a mild, clean smell, but something in the scent reminds me of hospital. I had no issues working up a thick, fluffy lather. Where this soap shines, IMO, is slickness. This stuff made my face greased-pig slick! I felt like I could have made my second pass without lathering, that's how slick this stuff is. It rinsed away clean, and left my skin soft and moisturized without being greasy. Final thoughts: I'm going to pick up some of this, it's a solid performer and based on the tales of how long it lasts, a fairly good value.

19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I pretty much agree with you. MWF for me has great slickness and a Wonderful post-shave feel (I.e. moisturizing). The smell is fine for me, but I prefer something more interesting or unique.

dustmite, PLAla and ob1page like this.
  20. PLAla

I use Mitchell's once a week - each Friday! I love it.

dustmite and ob1page like this.