Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

How thick is that box??? Only prob I would see is that some of the tuba are pretty thick.. would they fit in there?

2. wildcatsfan10

wildcatsfan10 Member

23.6x11.75x3

If that doesn't work, shipping via FedEx might be cheaper than usps- esp if you create an account and print the label

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  3. banks741938

3 inches thick would prob work. I don't think any of the tubs are that thick.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I pulled the LPL out of the Ikea Grundtal container I had it in.
    Ikea Grundtal.gif
    It's one of those Savory scented that I find less than my fav. The container I kept. Clear screw on top, magnet on the bottom, stainless steel. I may get more of them for soaps purchased as a puck rather than in tubs.
    If the stuff won't fit next choice seems to be remove soaps from their tubs, move them to ziplocks. That reduces the space lost to air. And you get to keep the tubs. Win-Win!
    win.jpeg

ob1page, PLAla and dustmite like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'd like to keep as many tubs intact as possible. The quality of the box, in my opinion, will be diminished if everything continues to move into Ziploc bags.

We may need to break the box into two smaller boxes to where the cost to ship both would be the equivalent to mailing the large box. The remaining participants would then work with two boxes, staggered in arrival. That's a thought.

Other thoughts? I value your opinions and appreciate everyone's generous additions and input to this point!

Straight razor dandy, ob1page and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Your Pass Around - your rules, Perry!

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  7. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

My two cents, it is still a bargain to ship at priority flat rate. Moving it two boxes might work dividing up into creams and hard soaps.

8. banks741938

I've come back through and taken some of the samples. I will say that some of the vendor samples were getting low when I received the box. In particular the gingers garden both soaps and the rt.66 I took really really small samples of those... just a heads up.

Also on my second smell through I came back to the sharp dressed man and gin and tonic tub.. would anyone be against me taking those??????

Thanks!!

PLAla, RyX and ob1page like this.
  9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have tried two soaps for the last two days. Tiki Bar "Set Sail", Blackland by Local Gent Shaving Co. "Blackbird.

I will preface this by saying my sense of smell is greatly diminished.

Saturday;

Tiki Bar "Set Sail"
    Brush RazoRock Synthetic
    Razor Maggards Slant (outstanding razor) and 7 o'clock yellow
    Bowl lathered

On scale of ten:

Scent; 7 I could actually smell this soap, very pleasant scent
    Ease of loading; 9 Easily loaded the brush, not overly thirsty soap, container was enough for the brush
    Lather Quality 10; Whipped up into a nice thick lather and enough for three passes +
    Slickness; 10 provide excellent slickness razor just glided
    Post shave; 9 Post shave feel was good scent lingered a bit.
    Overall; 10 This is my first experience with Tiki Bar soap, I was impressed with the quality of my shave.

Blackbird
    I was not really expecting too much from this soap but was surprised.
    Brush Semogue 1460
    Same razor and blade

Scent; 5 I can barely detect any scent from the soap.
    Ease of loading; 5 the container is small for brush loading, overall was able to load the brush with plenty of soap
    Lather Quality; 9 I was pleasantly surprised of the quality of lather I was able to whip up
    Slickness; 10 This soap was very slick and cushioning
    Post Shave; 8 Skin felt good but a tad dry.
    Overall; 8 Despite the smallness of the container I was able to load the brush fully, lather quality was very good, This soap surprised me

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

10. PLAla

Go right ahead! That's what this is all about!

Straight razor dandy, ob1page and RyX like this.
  11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Gin and Tonic is a great soap.

12. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Yeah. Go ahead. Every time I read this thread there is always something I want to try and it always gets taken but that's ok because something replaces it that I want to try too. I have got to stop reading this thread. The ups and downs of what goes in and out are killing me!!!! Let me know when it's my turn

13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Ok, I gotta ask how did the first pass around end? What happened to what was left?

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It got ripped off by a newbie.

15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is why there are only a few participants, and people have been tentative to add to it.

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That's terrible. I was expecting that they ran down so low they basically ran out or people lost interest and it was sent back to the start. Or at least it was PIFed to someone on the trial list or given to someone in need

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  17. PLAla

The first soap pass-around? It ended fine. I ended up with the remainder and they were lumped in to the contents of this version.

There was a Nationwide Pass-around that was stolen last year. But this box, despite one hiccup with a member last time, has been on the go.

RyX and ob1page like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Our fellow Pass Around participant Brad @fishcrow's efforts are what caught my eye. His Pass Arounds are the stuff of Legends. Having someone abscond with his Box - a tragedy. We are fortunate that Perry @PLAla put his products in to start it up again. Thank you both, kind Sirs!

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 03202017.gif
    Pre de Provence Cream, Vulfix 2235 S
    Schick G-1 and Schick Chick blade
    Alum, Pre de Provence Shea AS Balm

French shave cream. Light on the scent that's supposed to have a Sage aura. I'm not a fan of Savory soaps so it's just as well. When the Soap Pass-around box came through my den this was another I have to try it product. Being a cream I used a badger brush. No worries about trying to load from a triple milled hard soap. I moistened the brush, shook it out well, and applied it to the snurdle of cream. Several dribbles of water later it produces a modest lather. On my face it covered well. Being a small sample I gathered the shaved up lather and went back to the bowl. Couple more dribbles of warm water and it cream frothed up. Much better and plenty for two more passes & clean up. PdP rinsed off easily revealing a smooth DFS reduction. Part Deux of the sample; Shea Butter AS Balm. Again little or no scent. I'm OK with that as I was expecting Sage. The shea butter cream and balm left me well hydrated. If I lived in a dry environment it could be beneficial. Good for winter time.
    Has anyone tried the triple milled hard soap? I'm curious about the scent.

20. wildcatsfan10

wildcatsfan10 Member

I've got it and will try to remember to compare the two when the box gets to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLAla, RyX and ob1page like this.