Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I chose brands I had never tried before or scents that I've never tried before. Of those I've tried before I took small samples, less than a full shave worth. I already know that Stirling works great so it was all about the scent. Those brands I've never tried before I took enough for 2 shaves so that I could form an educated opinion.

RyX, PLAla and wildcatsfan10 like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

@hvacguy85 - A stick of Arko is on the way to you. @SharptoothC graciously agreed to send one your way. Give it a try and see what you think!

RyX and ob1page like this.
  3. hvacguy85

hvacguy85 Well-Known Member

I just talked to him a bit ago, i can't wait to try it, and thanks again @PLAla

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Sometimes when fishing with live bait, you can see the tip of the rod shaking and shuddering as a large fish approaches and the bait gets jittery. As the box gets closer to my stop, I am starting to relate with this concept more and more. Ready to jump out of my shoes.

Stu929, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 18 - RazoRock XXX and Astra SP (Day 3)

My time with the pass around box is quickly coming to a close. I have been privileged to have it at this time. I spent all night last night after work baking a Pizza Rustica and finishing taking samples from the box. It was nearly midnight when I finished both. The Pizza Rustica was well worth the effort. Having so little soap experience, I have been grabbing sample from everything I could think of and am totally blown away with all the differences in soap from their hardness, creams, and all the wonderful scents. Tobacco was one I was sure I would not like but Stirling Gentleman and Zi Peppino turned out wonderful that I had to grab a sample to try in the future.

I heard many professing Kiss My Face cream as being good and heard others have not tried it that I am debating either just adding it to the box or swapping a RazoRock or Italian Barber out for it. I also have an AOS unscented that I am not sure about trading in. Hopefully the next couple days will yield my decision.

Today was the third day with the Astra SP and so far I have been a little disappointed with it. Been irritated to some degree, granted not a lot, each day of use. I tend to get a BBS shave with it but just cannot escape some level of irritation. I was hoping to rectify this today.

This is my first shave with a RazoRock product. From what I have been told, XXX is meant to complement Creed Aventus which I do like from the other soaps emulating it. Also, RazoRock is suppose to be a very good product. the soap is softer than Stirling but had a very pleasing scent. I do smell the similarities to Executive Man. Lathering yielded a very shiny and slick cream that was good in hydraulics but was a little lighter than Stirling. I only needed a few additions of dribbles to get a very good lather. The scent was very good as well. I do feel thought that it dissipated during the shave and I needed to smell the bowl to really smell it. Stirling EM tends to fill the room. RR was still very good, just lighter.

3 passes yielded a BBS nearly everywhere except a spot on the jawline. Irritation was again lighter than the 2 days before. I was careful shaving but I am not sure if this was due to blade dulling or technique.

If the other RazoRock products are anything like this, they too will be good. I think I could have gotten more cushion with either more soap or slightly less water. I think it was reasonably easy to get the lather tuned.

I would like to find a RazoRock product to purchase but , for now, Executive Man fulfills my need for Aventus. It is just a bit better or the same but I have learned already how to tune it so I will stick with it. Not sure I want multiple Ventus like scents. then again, I do have several Sandalwoods....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    RyX, ob1page and PLAla like this.
  6. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but inst xxx a clone of aqua di Parma and emperor is the Adventus clone? Also try razorock Puros. It's a tobacco. I love it probably my favorite tobacco scent. And I've tried a ton of them

ob1page, RyX and PLAla like this.
  7. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I think you are right. It is Piacenza that is supposed to be a take on Parma then. So XXX is like Piacenza.

RazoRock has 2 soaps like Aventus: Emporer and The Freedberg. Not sure if one replaced the other or why they have two that are emulating Aventus. Read it on another shaving forum looking for Shaving Soap Inspirations.

Update: Emporer replaced the Freedberg.

Right idea, wrong soap.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    PLAla and ob1page like this.
  8. hvacguy85

hvacguy85 Well-Known Member

If someone wants to try the Puros, I will be glad to send them a sample

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

What's it like?

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 19 - Razorock Classic

Merkur 34C
    Astra SP (Day 4)
    Dark Chocolate (Jr #148)
    DIY PSO
    Razorock Classic
    alum/Thayers/Nivea

After my first experiences with Razorock, I was anxious to try another one form the pass around box. this time it was the Classic scent. I have no idea which version or year this soap is from other than to say the container has a snap on lid and is sloped like a flying saucer on top and bottom. Form the first opening of the tub the wonderful aroma of Almonds and Marzipan emanated. I must say that this scent is nice and strong. I felt like fresh baked almond cookies were being made. Great memories of holidays gone by resulted and all the good times had were recalled. Suffice it to say, this soap's scent is very pleasing to me.

Lathering int was very easy and this time I was able to get a denser slicker lather than I did with XXX. Shine, retention, hydraulic effort and glide/slickness were all perfect and better than yesterday's. I was very pleased with this lather to say the least. I also was able to make enough lather for about 6 passes.

I ended up doing 4 passes today with just a little touch up. Oddly enough, I required less touch up today than usual. I spent some time last night reevaluyating the beard growth on my jawline and lower neck. I was wondering iof my irritation with the Astra SP was being caused by improper direction. I tend to need a WTG followed by a XTG in order to even contemplate an ATG pass. the neck and jawline on me is running from the midline of the neck straight towards the back of my neck sort of sideways. this is true until the hair crosses just above the jawline where it is growing from my cheeks/eye socket down and back. With my new found focus and 'change in direction' I found that the amount of irritation was again lower on my neck such that the alum just barely was warm. This could also be due to the blade being worn a bit more but I am hopeful technique is more causative.

In all, I am grateful for my time with the pass around box and having experienced several soap that I otherwise never would have. As we speak, I am readying an order for several of the Razorock soaps. Of course, this is not including the Menthol and all the wonderful soaps from Stirling tomorrow. These two soap companies will make up the primary soaps of my den. Just to give you all an idea what soaps I am thinking about, Here is the list of where my den will be going:

RazoRock Son Of Zeus Artisan Shaving Soap
    RazoRock Classic Italian Shaving Soap
    RazoRock Caribbean Holiday Italian Shaving Soap
    RazoRock XX Artisan Shaving Soap
    Italian Barber Amici Shaving Soap
    Castle Forbes Lime
    Barrister and Mann Dickens Shaving Soap
    Barrister and Mann Shaving Soap - Rhapsody
    Barrister & Mann Arctique ?
    Barrister & Mann 42
    Barrister & Mann Night Music
    Fine Accoutrements Classic Shaving Soap - Platinum
    RazoRock Santal Royale Italian Shave Soap
    RazoRock One X Artisan Shaving Soap
    Saponificio Varesino Shaving Soap - Dolomiti
    Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Shaving Soap
    Saponificio Varesino - Manna Di Sicilia Shaving Soap
    Stirling Arkadia
    Stirling Baker Street
    Stirlinbg Dunshire
    Stirling Executive Man
    Stirling Gin & Tonic
    Stirling Margarita in the Artic (regular or Glacial)
    Stirling Orange Chill
    Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
    Stirling Piacenza
    Stirling Sharp Dress Man
    Stirling Tuscany
    Stirling Sandalwood
    Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint
    Stirling Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo
    Stirling Glacial Obsidian
    Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Stirling Weekend in Malibu
    Stirling South Padre
    Stirling Island Man
    Stirling Gin & Tonic on the Rocks
    Stirling Sandpiper

I do not feel there is a bad soap in the lot. I must say I hate you all for making me become so passionate about shaving soaps. All of your great reviews, experiences and feedback and the opportunity to try so many soaps in the pass around box has brought me here and I only started wet shaving this past Dec '16.

Thanks for adding to my fun in this hobby and changing shaving from a chore to a pleasant morning experience.

I can only imagine how many more I will want to add when I finally get to try more of the sample from RT66 and Caties Bubbles and so many other wonderful soaps in the pass around box.

Wishing you all a pleasant and enjoyable shaving experience.

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  11. PLAla

ob1page, BaylorGator and RyX like this.
  12. RSHWETSHAVE

RSHWETSHAVE Member

Super stoked. Had no idea anything like this was happening. It's the best idea for trying different soaps and creams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ob1page, RyX and PLAla like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 20 - Two soaps in a single shave!!!

I have been on a kick to try all I can in Razorock. The sample box will be on to the next tomorrow if I can get to the post office in time, otherwise early Saturday. It has been a super pleasure smelling and sampling all these soaps. I have truly been spoiled and I would recommend anyone of any skill level, beginner or expert, to grab this opportunity to try a bunch of different soaps. I have become so enamored with all these scents that I have been ordering like a mad man lots of soaps to replace the presence of the box so my Soap Pass Around Box Withdrawal (SPABW) will be light. I am sure many have been afflicted with it.

Today, I decided to use half as much soap so I could enjoy two soaps in one shave. I lathered the right side with Razorock Santal Royale (RR SR) and the left with Italian Barber Amici. I have been very happy with the Razorock/Italian Barber product and just wanted one last opportunity to try the last couple I was interested in from the box. I ended up shaving one side of my face at a time completely before changing soaps and doing the other.

In addition to using two new soaps, I loaded the Merkur 34C with a Gillette Nacet blade. this is my first use of a Nacet.

I shaved my right side first with the Santal Royale. I saw a youtube review of this soap where he did not love this scent. In some way I can understand. Once you find THE sandalwood scent for you, no other will do. So far I like best TOBS and Stirling Sandalwoods. RR SR is nice but not quite up to the caliber of the others in scent. To me, it is more woody but has a heavy vanilla scent masking any sandalwood. I do not get any scent that reminds me of the others. It wasn't bad either but having based a preference for TOBS sweeter more cologny scent and loving the Stirling's more lumberyard woody scent, this just wasn't what I wanted it to be. I think it was strong enough to be fully enjoyed for the duration of the shower and I still feel like I got hints of the scent well after the shower which was good.

Lather for RR SR was up to the usual RR standards - thick, creamy, slick and so delicious. For such an inexpensive product, it really performs better than its price to me. I have been very happy with it. When the three passes and touch up were done, I lathered the right side of my face with the remaining just so I could continue to enjoy it further. For a scent that wasn't my definition of sandalwood, I did get much enjoyment from the small 1/2 sample I used.

While my right side marinated in Royale, I worked up a lather of the Italian Barber Amici (IB A). Both soaps do not need a lot of water and even in the 1/2 sized dollop I was using, I found pretty easy to get it dialed in. Amici, to me, smells like some citrusy lemon and orange scent. Its scent was simple but I am a lover of citrus scents, I found this very pleasing. From what I have heard and form looking at the ingredients, this and Razorock are the same soap. As such, it was great as well. IB posts the following for its scent: Top Notes: Red Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange Heart Notes: Spices Base Notes: Amber, Musk, Hay, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Patchouli. I am not the greatest with smell but some of this I could detect. The scent was at a good strength and very much enjoyed.

Shaving with Amici I realized I was just a little too much on water but only slightly. It was just barely lighter than the RR SR but still had excellent glide. For a $2.99 soap, this performed far better to me.

The Nacet blades did quick and rather quiet work of my stubble yielding a nice BBS and very muted alum. there was still some tingle but again less than with the Astra SP. Nacet blades may join my list of revered blades if they can keep up this result for a couple more days.

In all, this has been the best week of my shaving life.

Thank you guys for facilitating this and including me in this opportunity. A Big thanks also goes out to all the vendors and guys who donated soap to make this possible.

Thank you all.

Sincerely,
    Frank

14. PLAla

Glad you have enjoyed it and that it's opened up a new world of soaps and creams for you!

RyX and ob1page like this.
  15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Boy this is so hard. It has been a great week. The hardest thing I have to do... is fit all thes soaps back in the box!

You guys must be some kind of magician or something to get it closed.

I ended up feeling really bad not having much to offer to add to the box. I ended up running out and purchased a new bottle of Kiss My Face lime to add to the box. There isn't much local that I could find to add so at least it is something. Sorry it isn't more. My daughter just loved the scent and with some water it does whip up to a nice lather.

Now to wait for my daughter to wake up so she can sit on the box to keep it closed and we can tape it shut.

Will make an attempt to get the box in the mail tomorrow.

RyX, PLAla and ob1page like this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 21 - Good bye Soap Pass Around Box!!! Marked occasion with Martin de Candre and 21 gun solute (we had pizza and left over tacos).

Today was the last shave while I still have the box. I still have a ton of samples since I really have experienced very little of the soaps in the shaving world. While having the box, I had the luxury of grabbing just a bit more should I be too frugal. Once the box is gone, all I could rely on are my estimations for how much soap is needed.

To mark such a grand occasion, I saved what I hope to be the best soap in the box, Martin de Candre Scented. This is a milled soap, I think or I would expect. Everyone who speaks of this soap indicates you need like half of what other top soaps need. The scent in the jar was very herbal. I am not sure if it is rosemary or thyme or sage. I will say it reminds me of scents used to roast chicken. The official scent listed is ,'It is scented with lavender, rosemary and mint.' It isn't bad just different from my normal fair. even in the container, I felt the scent was at a good strength. I have a hard time detecting mint or lavender but the rosemary is the strongest scent there. Do I love it? I am more of a citrus guy and since this is not I won't rate it great but , much like T&H 1805, I think it is a welcome change to my normal lineup and is appealing.

Working up a lather is a lie for this soap. There is no work involved. I put a good 1-2 teaspoons of water to bloom it and forgot to dump it on the brush and add a lesser quantity. As soon as I hit the brush to the soap in my bowl, bubbles started forming quickly. At first, I thought I wrecked this lather since it was foamy. In no time, the lather was thickening but still looked frosted and not shiny. continued whipping resulted in a shiny thick lather. What was just bubbles transformed into my perfect lather. I think this is the only soap with such a wide water mix ratio. It was easy to get perfect lather. Most soaps that I have tried, once they look frosted and dry do not recover. they remain airy and light and lack protection. This worked out well. The cushion was excellent and very slick.

Shave with a 1 shave old Nacet blade and a 34C required 3 passes and some touch up to get BBS. Alum was lightly bright but any minor burn quickly faded. The entire shave, I was amazed by the glide and cushion. I really did not feel the blade and had to fight urges to shave over areas lacking cream. This blade even felt smoother and better than yesterday's shave. The RR and IB soap was a perfect lather and very slick and thick. MdC was just better.

Is this cream worth its price? I would say yes. You can be extremely frugal with this soap. I ended up using very little and still had enough lather easily for at least 6 passes. One jar should last 2 - 3X longer than most of the top artisan soaps. I will go on and say that Castle Forbes and Saponificio Varesino both are in league with MdC in my opinion. If your den were to contain these three, you can really get great lather every day with top notch slickness AND never have the same scent twice. Each will cover a slightly different scent category with minimal overlap. I have a new Dolomiti on the way and hope to verify my conclusions. Pricewise, CF and SV are half the price and I might be able to live without MdC. MdC does have one issue to me - it lacks a large variety of scents. If I were to just use MdC, I think I would have perfect lather but quickly bore from so few scents. The same is true of CF and SV but, we have been granted all three vendors and they only overlap a little at most in their scent offerings. I have been fortunate to have been able to try all three during this pass around box. CF Lime and SV Dolomiti are on their way in full size tubs. that was how enjoyable they were. MdC might be out of my budget but will have to see what a holiday or occasion in the future might bring.

Thank you to whomever added MdC, CF and SV to the box. I was granted to opportunity to taste, or shall I say shave, some of the finer things in life.

Thank you

With much appreciation,
    Frank

17. PLAla

Frank - awesome job! You fully embraced the spirit of the box and seemed to enjoy it. Way to go!

On to @wildcatsfan10 next!

18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I will be running to the Post Office over lunch so I will forward the tracking number as soon as it is available. Thanks for this opportunity.

I would recommend everyone, new or seasoned shavers to take this opportunity.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

The Pass Around Box has Left NY on route to NH!!!

Wildcatsfan10, you're up!!!!

One thing that is very cool. Even when the box is gone, you have all those samples to try out. With so many soaps in the box, it is going to be a while before I can get through them all and I plan on trying every one out. When I opened the box, the first thing I said was that even if I do not care for the scent, grabbing a sample will give me an idea of how the base soap is so try it anyway. Also, you never know what you will like.

A few things I can say I have gained from this experience:

1. Citrus scents are my thing.
    2. Bay rums are as varied as are sandalwood scents
    3. As much as I love sandalwood, there are some I am only OK with.
    4. Savory or herbal scents like T&H 1805 and MdC original can be a good change of pace and will grow on you.
    5. Musgo Reale soap is impossible to lather even following youtube methods. They 'Must Go, Really'.
    6. I wish Castle Forbes made more than 3 scents
    7. You almost cannot go wrong with Stirling. Every scent is a winner and they will put you in the poorhouse with your subsequent orders.
    8. Love all menthols especially glacial/arctique levels
    9. With practice, lathering will improve, especially when you decide to start using more soap. More soap makes it easier to find the sweet spot for water mix ratios.
    10. Italians are also great soap makers and I have enjoyed Saponificio Varesino and Razorock.
    11. Still not sure about barbershop scents. Some seem to be too powdery and floral for me. I have a tendency to like more bay rums than barbershop scents.
    12. Vegan soaps can make great lather.
    13. Martin de Candre deserves the praise of being a top and maybe THE top shaving soap.

That's all for now. I will continue to post my thoughts about the samples I have selected. I have lots still to try :) !!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Soap Box Update: I just got into my car and I think I forgot to drop it off at the post office. Nope it's not in the truck of the fastback. 4 hours later and my car STILL smells like SOAP!!!!

It sure is nice having a good smelling car :)!

RyX, PLAla and ob1page like this.