Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im not home right now but it wasnt there at 230pm.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Going to have to lean on the wife to pick them Ive been under the weather since last Thursday.

Good news is she finally tried my flare today and she seemed to like it. So I may have yet another convert as my buddy is completely sold after letting him test drive a tech, then I gave him a flare for his birthday. :)

PLAla and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Two criteria for picking samples;
    • Brands you've heard are good so you can try them.
    • Scents that flip your switch, good for SWMBO to do.
    Hoping you feel better before you send The Box on it's way. Still have to consider trades!

PLAla and ob1page like this.
  4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Until I get over this mess I can't smell so ill let her help...Prob is I have nothing to trade except my bigelow

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    PLAla and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Soap Makers provided non-tradeable samples for the purpose of having folks try their products. If you don't have anything to swap, you'll still find at least 30 or 40 soaps to sample.

PLAla and ob1page like this.
  6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I was diplomatic. I grabbed a sample of everything!!! :)

RyX, ob1page, Stu929 and 1 other person like this.
  7. RSHWETSHAVE

RSHWETSHAVE Member

You did get the box right? This USPS tracking is whack and I can't tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Not here

PLAla likes this.
  9. RSHWETSHAVE

RSHWETSHAVE Member

Huh. Let me see what the hell is going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

RyX and PLAla like this.
  10. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

May 29 - Caties Bubbles Tonsorial Plus

With a trip into Manhattan being planned in order to attend a museum trip with my daughter and her class, I figured I would get in early and hit Pasteur's Pharmacy. Before I go, I would like to sample as many soaps as possible to get an idea what I will be buying!!!

Today, I reached for my sample of Catie's Bubbles Tonsorial Plus. Soap took a good amount of water and resulted in a thick and slick lather. It was amazingly great!!! The scent was not filling the room strong but was more along the middle of strength. Strong enough to smell but not so strong as to flood the room. The scent, to me was rather sweet and seemed to have a pink grapefruit scent. I have no idea if the lack of power was due to the age of my sample and if certain smells had dissipated. This must be old since I no longer see it listed. If the scent was a little less sweet, I think I would like it more. It was not offensive and could grow on me but for now, it was rather sweet.

Perma Sharp blade was still sharp and moved quietly. I kept the pressure very light and even tried , on one side of my face, to switch XTG and ATG order. Usually I do ATG last. For some reason, I feel the XTG is more irritating. Unfortunately, changing the order did not improve things. Alum was still stinging. Also felt a little sting after that dried and I applied which hazel. Did get a BBS shave after 3.5 passes.

I will say that based on this lather, I will be searching Catie's website for a scent I do like since this soap is really good. The lather was what I would consider to be perfect. Possibly up there with Martin de Candre in it was beautifully thick and nicely slick. The razor slid like warm butter in a hot skillet. I will say I am surprised I got any irritation. I am sure my technique is to blame... again. Since this one is no longer on their website, I would suggest trying CB soaps after this experience. Un Jour Gris was a great soap as well but the soap was not uplifting for me. It was a perfect representation of the smells of a grey day but that wasn't for me. I did like it though. Now, to find one I love from them....

PLAla, ob1page and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yet?

PLAla likes this.
  12. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

You need to check out their Le Piment de la Vie and La Marche Du Rusage. Amazing scents

PLAla and clint64 like this.
  13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im not home. Should be back in an hour, went hunting after work.

RyX, Straight razor dandy and PLAla like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Hunting for....soap?
    ;)

RyX and PLAla like this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Hunting for brushes and razors. Found some neat stuff but someone had clearly picked the place over. 4 huge buildings and not one double edge.... unlikely from what Ive seen so far.

ob1page, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Oh and.... Huston the eagle has landed!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ob1page, RyX, BaylorGator and 2 others like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Excellent! Glad it's there!

RyX and clint64 like this.
  18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Will do
    Thanks

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

That sounds like where I live....dry.
    I rarely ever find any shave stuff, and when I do, it is insanely over priced.

ob1page and PLAla like this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I usually find some, especially if I havent been there before but not today. Some straights and a few odd ball items but no DE so I think someone prob running ebay store in area. 4 20k sq ft buildings plus and not 1....