Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have also started some adds to diversify the box. There are some classics, some up and coming artists, and a couple I just think everyone should try (even though they may be more common). Here is a pic below of what I am adding:

IMG_20170119_085348.jpg

RyX, PLAla, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

I also put the Provence de Santa in a tin. Perry, if you want anything else in a tin, just let me know.

PLAla likes this.
  3. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

You are the man i want to try 3 of those you put in. Hopefully they sill still have some left when i get the box..

PLAla likes this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

I put generous samples. They should have no problem lasting. All these are VERY high quality, so they require no more than a pea-sized amount (at most) for a 4+ pass shave

RyX and PLAla like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

OK, here is some stuff that I added but didn't picture earlier.

@banks741938 I added mama Bear's Dublin tweed, catie's bubbles Celtic knot, and Stirling soap's sharp dressed man. (The full tubs of Stirling and CB are for reference, just the samples were added).

You guys haven't tried TOBS???! Tsk, tsk. I added some!!! I also put a sample of Truefitt and Hill along with a st. James sample.

IMG_20170119_100754.jpg

BOOM!!!

IDuck, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

RyX, PLAla and Straight razor dandy like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Thank you! I view these passarounds as a nice way to give back/PIF...if you will. There are just so many incredible products out there these days. It's a great time to be a wet shave enthusiast.

I try to really improve the boxes in these passarounds because I think everyone should use great products and find what they like best... this is a fantastic way to do it. I hope that there aren't any issues with the box as there were with the nationwide tour. I know Perry and me both put a lot of time/money into it so everyone can enjoy, and I'm really hoping it can be a TSD mainstay moving forward.

8. Straight razor dandy

I didn't mention it before, but the chiseled face "ghost town barber" is just incredible. I used to own one and I firmly believe it is one of their best scents. I wont swap it, but I don't expect it to last long. I would hope that whomever takes it would leave a sample in the box so that everyone can experience it.

9. Straight razor dandy

My initial impressions of @Crowne & Crane soaps:

They. Smell. Terrific.
    The tobacco leaf and amber has a nice sweet and smoky type of scent, kind of like your granddad's pipe smoking (NO! Not that kind of pipe! Don't be crazy...you know what I'm talking about). My wife also REALLY liked the scent. She said that this would be popular with the ladies (wet shavers significant others). The smell is nice and strong, which I prefer as well.

The Bay rum has a very crisp and refreshing smell that I haven't encountered before in a bay rum. It is tough to put my finger on it, but it has a "clean" type of quality to it. I could imagine this being a bay rum for people that usually don't like bay rums.

The packaging was also very nice. They come in a metal tin with a pictured front and the ingredient list on the back. The soap is wrapped in a brown tissue paper with a sticker.

I haven't lathered one yet, so I will get back to you on that. It is next on deck. I just wanted to give my initial impressions while they are fresh in my mind.

FYI, I always "sniff test" the contents of passarounds first thing and then pick out the best smelling items to use first. In a box that has 50+ soaps in it, these soaps are clearly amongst the best scented.

RyX, dustmite and PLAla like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

SOTD: Shave of the Day
    Crowne & Crane Tobacco leaf and amber soap, wolf whiskers silvertip badger brush, Phoenix artisan accoutrements Grackle razor, Chattilon lux gratiot league square aftershave, Georgetown pottery scuttle (not pictured)

This soap surprised me. It literally EXPLODED in lather with next to no working. I mean, it lathered so quickly and easily, I made a mess. I barely used any soap and I still had enough for probably 10 passes. It was ridiculous. Ridiculously good.

I used a mild razor (even though it looks aggressive as all get out) and the cushion was awesome. I really could have gone with a much more aggressive razor. In fact, the next time I use it, I will try a straight razor with it.

The post-shave was very moisturizing as well. My face feels great!

I have heard incredibly positive things about these soaps from some very trusted sources. They were spot on.

IMG_20170119_144804.jpg IMG_20170119_144242.jpg

RyX, PLAla and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  12. PLAla

Thanks to @Crowne & Crane for their offerings for the box!

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I looked away from this thread for a moment and
    batman-pow.jpg
    I've had conversations with the proprietors of several Beauty Supply shops in town. I'm thinking I will bring The Box for a visit to the more receptive ones. Maybe I can entice them to consider thinking about stocking some actual men's shaving products. They just don't know.

14. Straight razor dandy

That would be very cool

RyX and PLAla like this.
  15. PLAla

That's not a bad idea!

RyX likes this.
  16. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Glad to see this pass around being a success. Looking forward to my turn. I have several soaps to add and I will include some samples of I currently use.

youngunn, PLAla and RyX like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

SOTD:
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Bath soap, Floid black aftershave, blackbird blackland razor, Rolls Royce sampling spoon, Wolf Whiskers silvertip badger brush, Icelandic gilt lava bowl

I was very excited to find out this soap was in the box. JOHS is a veteran owned tallow soap company out of Buckner, MO. That alone would make it worth it for me to try, but what I didn't realize before is just how large these soaps are! Parallel that with the fact that it doesn't take much soap to get a good lather and my goodness! One of these tubs would last a very, very long time. It says it is 7 oz, but I tend to have a habit of weighing soaps, and even when I discount the weight of the tub, I can tell you that it is generously MORE than that. Wow!

Once again, I divide passarounds into making the soaps that I think smell the best as the first ones I try...well...this smells incredible. Here's what JOHS says about it, "Our Turkish Bath is sure to remind you of the bygone era of old-time barber shops. A masculine scent with a clean, sharp finish. Our take on combines the scent of aromatic spices, Merlot and orange zest."

I would also say there is a coffee not in there. Regardless, it is a very high quality scent.

Performance-wise, it was easy to lather. It is able to take a LOT of water as well. I found that I needed more than I would typically use. The slickness improved with the amount of water I added.

I alsoike the simple but elegant tub design. It is perfect for lathering in.

IMG_20170120_115248.jpg

PLAla, RyX and dustmite like this.
  18. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

By the way, where is the best place to pick up some of those sample containers you have in the pic?

Thanks

PLAla likes this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

The slightly larger white top ones with the clear bowl portions are found at the dollar store. They are the cheapest soap sample containers I have ever found at just 10 for 1 dollar.

The smaller see through containers in various colors are found 2/$1 at most all Walmarts in the travel section, which is usually right by the soaps and shampoos. That section is phenomenal for sample containers for wet shavers.

It is not pictured, but if you want to go more upscale, you can go to Ikea and get these containers called grundtals. They are cheap as well... 3 containers for around $7, but they look incredible. They also hold a whole puck, have a see-through top, and have a magnet on the back that gives some awesome storage options.

In one of my pics, I placed a soap that was originally in a baggie into a tin that is white metal on the bottom with a translucent lid (it is the Provence de Santae soap). That container can be found at Daiso Japanese dollar stores for $1-1.50. They are offered in silver metal or white metal. They are best for very large soaps or if you really like to lather within the tub.

Breakdown:
    I recommend the Walmart screw-top colorful containers for samples or if you are traveling, the small dollar store containers if you are low on funds or just need a LOT of containers, the Daiso Japanese containers for large soaps or lathering within the tin, and the Ikea grundtal if you want the all-around best container that is also the best looking.

I hope I haven't lost you with this long post, but I have tons of experience with this. This info cost me a lot of money to find out, lol. Here's a pic for reference:

IMG_20170120_122215.jpg

dustmite, PLAla and RyX like this.
  20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

@PLAla, I talked to the owner of Sudsy Soapery today in person, he said if you'd like a soap for the pass around box just email him and mention you talked to me, Tim, and he'll send you a tin for the box, to stay with it like the others.

Just include the thread URL so he can check it's legit pass around