Soaps on your "to try" list

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jramire2, Jan 16, 2008.

1. momo360

momo360 New Member

next on list in no particular order:

TSD Rose
    DR Harris (any sent)
    Trumper's Coconut
    TGQ Cavendish Black

Can anyone recommend a particular DR Harris soap?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

They're all great, but I particularly like the Arlington soap with its powdery, citrussy scent.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Klaus, I love the scent of the Arlington soap, too, but the irritation it gave me was unbearable. The cream version did the same thing to me. :( :(

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I have the arlington cream..and must say its nice.but very potent

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'm sorry to hear that, buddy. It's too bad when you like the scent but can't use the soap/cream due to allergies or skin reactions... :(

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thanks, Klaus--that's happened to me with so many different nice brands, because my skin had an opinion. I was once given some Trumpers Almond cream, which I think smells amazing, and the lather was heavenly, but the burning and irritation made it impossible for me to use it for more than 1 shave.

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Jeff,

If I recall correctly, it's been a while since I used it....it was very subdued almost non-mentholated :(

Still made a nice lather and provided a good shave, just not what I was hoping for..

8. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I am continually amazed in the differences in all of our faces. It seems to me that the face is among the most sensitive area we have.
    I know guys and read here of folk who use a quality product but have some adverse reaction to it.
    I'm fortunate to have missed any bad reactions
    Tom

9. momo360

momo360 New Member

Thank you very much. Could I bother you fellows to describe Marlborough?

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Marlborough is just pain woodsy. Cedarwood mostly as well as hints of pine. And that's about it. Ingeniously simple ;)

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Sounds delightful.
    Does it have staying power and Sillage (I've been to basenotes :) )
    I know everyBODY is different..
    Tom

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Any of the Triple Milled or hard soaps on my wish list. I think that's about 10-12 of them.

13. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

I added Old Spice Soap to my list cause it's a window to yesteryear...
    Tom

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

No, that one would be on my list too - along with every other vintage soap I can lay my hands on :D

15. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Yes! Vintage is tallow...
    Tom

16. Dave_D

Dave_D Member

The 'to try' list:

D.R. Harris Almond
    Institute Karite
    Haslinger
    Speick

17. a-cut-above

a-cut-above Member

Wish list:
    Gold Dachs Spezial/Revivage
    Pre de Provence

18. jramire2

jramire2 Member

PdP is good stuff IMO, and more readily available in the US than some soaps.

The scent is light, but I like it a lot, kind of piney IMO.

Of the two that are fairly easy to find locally, I like the performance of Provence Sante' a bit more than PdP, but I like the scent of PdP more.

For those that have already tried the Gold Dachs, can the soap be lathered fairly easily in the tin. I can get a fairly good lather right out of the tin from my PdP (albeit w/a small brush) w/minimal mess. Was wondering if the GD was the same as it makes it good for travel.

19. a-cut-above

a-cut-above Member

Thanks for the response. I have the Provence Sante but wanted to try the PdP. You are not the first wetshaver to say the performance of the PS was a bit better than the PdP, so I'll take the advice and just go for the Revivage/Gold Dachs.

20. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Wasn't on my to try list, but just placed an order for some Eshave avocado & linden shave soap. I'm really liking the french soaps right now, and I've heard that eshave soaps are pretty similar (or made in france for all I know).

Got a good deal on the soap from whatshebuys.com, about half of retail.

They still have some eshave brushes on sale, but the soaps are out (they even had to cut down my order from 2 to 1). :ashamed001