Soaps vs. Creams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by brandron, Dec 18, 2007.

1. brandron

brandron New Member

Greetings to all from a relative newbie who seems to be catching the contagious bug that's been floating around TSD (and I don't mean a computer virus).

Love reading the posts, and have already treated myself to an SR3824 and Kent BK4 (just arrived yesterday - 20% discount worked beautifully, thank you!). I've been using CE Sweet Almond Oil Cream (tube) and Taylor Avocado Cream (tube), and am considering trying some soaps.

I apologize if this has already been covered in a previous thread, but I would love to hear the opinions of my fellow shavers on the pluses and minuses of soaps vs. creams, and why you select one over the other (especially since many come in the same scents).

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome!
    (Well, you've been a member longer than I have, but it's your first post!)

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Cream = Protection

Soap = Slick

I get better shaves from soaps but If I need a gentle shave I reach for cream.

Welcome Aboard! :cool:

4. Razorburne

Razorburne New Member

I tend to use more creams than soaps...but if you want the best of both worlds, go for a superlather!!!

Superlather = charging your brush with soap 1st, then combining with your choice of cream (add water as necessary).

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

This is one of those YMMV subjects. Some folks like to use both, some prefer one over the other. When I started I was all about creams, as I progressed and eventually moved to shaving with straights I moved to using soaps. You can get cushion and protection equally from both. I still use creams every now and then. I do get a nice slick and cushioned lather from soaps which is what I want when I shave with a straight. On the other hand you can get the same from the lather of creams. I guess the best answer is that you may have to try both to see which you prefer. Nothing wrong with that.

I will mention that if you use soaps a brush with stiffer bristles will get better results than a softer floppier brush that is design for creams.

Welcome to the Den.

Raf

6. brandron

brandron New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will make the plunge and do some experimenting with both. Still using M3/Fusion (and getting great shaves with C&E and TOB creams), but want to try different lathering media before making the hardware switch to Merkur.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, brandron!

I think the guys have covered all the bases on the cream vs. soap debate, I think.

So, I'll just say, I like creams better.

8. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

This seems to be the predominant thinking, but I have to admit I haven't noticed that. Maybe there's enough variation from one brand to another that I can't generalize that much. I generally prefer using soaps, but I think that's largely because of the process of generating lather from a puck of soap. However, there are some cream out there that I really love, such as Truefitt & Hill. Try lots of both and see what you like.

9. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

I thought I was totally converted to soap, in my case, Floris JF soap. Then, this weekend I shaved with my TOBS Rose and C&F Lavender and realized that the shaves I obtained were just as close as the shaves the soap provided, but with a little less irritation.

So, I'm doing a little experiment. Last Saturday I shaved with Taylors Rose, got an excellent shave. Sunday it was Castle & Forbes Lavender Cream, another fantastic shave. Monday (Yesterday) I shaved with my Floris soap, got a great shave, had to be a little more careful on me neck area, where I'm prone to irritation. I do think the shaves with the creams were a little better...

I'll keep the experiment going, but so far, those creams are winning me heart.

Steve

10. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome brandron!

For what it is worth, I am a 100% soap guy. I try creams once in awhile but aside from a TSD cream I do not keep them around. Just never use them!

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My opinion too.

12. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Welcome Brandron!

I use both creams and soaps. IMHO soaps take a little more work to get a good lather, but that's me. Try both and enjoy!

13. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

Isn't there also a marked difference between traditional hard soaps and glycerine based soaps? Other than the fact that some hot vapor will melt away your puck?

Generally speaking, isn't superlather based on the use of a glycrine soap?

14. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Welcome to TSD, Ziggy !

::

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome Ziggy!

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, ZiggyDeath!

ummm....is anyone gonna answer his question?

I would if I knew the answer. :o

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

After giving it some thought, I believe the difference between the traditional hard soaps and glycerine is basically the longevity of the soap.

While I do not superlather, I believe you are also correct that it is typically used with a glycerine based soap.

I should however, not be quoted on these answers.. but I seem to recall them being correct.

18. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

Thanks for the welcome, I'm not a fan of hellos and goodbyes.

The reason why I posed these questions was because, if memory serves, but Mantic specifically specfies that Superlather is to be generated with a glycerine core. Unfortunately I do not have any experience with traditional/triple-milled soaps. All the soaps in my collection are glycerine based and lather up quickly; another difference I believe is the speed at which a lather is produced between the two.

19. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I have both glycerine and traditional soaps and I find the lathers build just as quickly for both of them.

20. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

Really? I really ought to get a hold of some hard soap. I don't know where to start from, plus I still have a bunch of creams which are hiding in a cabinet somewhere, at least a half a dozen kinds, which haven't been tested yet :eek: