Some Chinese Steel for Honing Practice

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dkeester, Jun 3, 2017.

1. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I am still a straight razor newbie, so this is may be a bit premature, but I decided to pick up some cheap razors to start learning to hone.

Optimized-IMAG0622[1].jpg Optimized-IMAG0623[1].jpg Optimized-IMAG0624[2].jpg

I still need to acquire stones, so it will be a bit before I get started. That is probably a good thing since it will give me time to get more practice shaving with my Whipped Dog razors. I am looking forward to playing around with these, however.

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice. I just received a ZY, the other day. I hear they take a very nice edge. What's the one with the Trident, on the right.

Billyfergie, dkeester and Spyder like this.
  3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Where did you pick those up at? I have been using a straight sense about February and just started honing last week. I enjoy my time in front of the stones when I can find the time.

Sent from my phone using some app

Billyfergie, dkeester and Spyder like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Billyfergie, Spyder and dkeester like this.
  5. dkeester

The Trident one is also a ZY. I got it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262593849132?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All were from eBay seller "greatbigbrain".

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

7. dkeester

Those are really cool looking.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

When I decided to learn to hone, I wanted it to be as easy as possible. I used new and NOS razors from well known German brands. I taped the spines to protect the razors from damage. After all the goal was to learn about honing not how to correct for wacky geometry. The Chinese razors have a reputation for wacky geometry and heel issues. They just ad issues to honing. I do understand that people are intimidated with messing up a $100+ dollar razor, and money is never easy to come by. I did initially learn to hone on my own. After about a year I traveled to a meet and got some face to face time with people who knew and it really improved the consistency of my honing. If you ever have a chance to travel to a meet, you will be amazed at how fast you can learn in person.

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Really great advice! How do you find these meets?

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have found them through other members. There is an annual one in Seattle, the guy that organizes it is a member of quite a few shave forums CBMatt? I thinks his screen name. Great guy and puts together small and large meets throughout the year. There is often one in Kansas that is put together through Razor and Stone. The one that I have gone to a couple of times is in Alberta. It gets passed around on the various forums and email when guys are putting it together. There is another in Toronto that is usually advertised on SRP that is on my want to attend list, and get together or two happen every year in Texas, that I hear about through SRP contacts. Pretty much if you put together a meet that is within a days drive of Gssixgun he will likely attend. He loves teaching and was at one of the Alberta meets. It is a long way for me to travel to get to meets. Essentially a meet can be anywhere in North America and it costs me pretty much the same to attend them all. I try to get to one a year, but have not gone to one this year. The Seattle meet is fairly close to where my mother lives, so that makes it fairly attractive.

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The ZY Razors are Great Razors..I Would be Carful what Other Razors You Buy from the Same ZY Factory Site..They are Crud..Made in the Same Place but Crud..The Only Ones I Trust are the ZY Razors...Which are Stamped ZY..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, GarnerPW and DaltonGang like this.