Some precautions to consider when cleaning vintage razors.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Jan 19, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've used Scrubbing Bubbles on all my razors, to include my gold ones - zero issues.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The last couple of times I've had to clean a razor, I've been using antibacterial hand soap instead of Dawn. The results have been good, at least from my perspective. Anybody see anything that might cause an issue?

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm using a small one also, I heat the water in the microwave and add some soap, works good. I've cleaned a bunch of razors with it. I'm going to get a more industrial strength one sometime but have no idea what to buy.

Red Rider likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I used the dishwasher on cruddy nickel plate. Works on my nickel plated utensils just fine, too.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    These are my two newest razors. I use Scrubbing Bubbles and an electric toothbrush followed by a hot water rinse. Then I used toothpaste and an electric toothbrush followed by a hot water rinse. Then, I used a little MAAS Metal Polish to finish them off. They came out pretty good.
    Pic 1 - before cleaning
    100_2559.JPG

Pic 2 - after cleaning
    100_2562.JPG

6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wow! Those cleaned up real nice. I hope you can replace the head on that toothbrush. ;)

Karl G likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a cheap Equate toothbrush I got at Walmart, $5. After I am through using it to brush my teeth, I get a new one and the old one becomes my razor cleaning brush.
    toothbrush.jpg

Karl G, Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Decided to repurpose a toothbrush disinfectant to help remove stubborn crude and disinfect all metal razors. (Only those without colour tips)
    Recently used on SS Rocket and Fat Boy.

image.jpeg

Germ Terminator. Basically a steamer.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Rob, very ingenious! :happy088:

Karl G likes this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I use Simichrome to clean up vintage razors. Havent had a problem with plate loss or any negative side effects, it does clean up razors very well.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Red Rider

Thanks, it has it's limitations and I use it only after a hot cleanser soak.
    Would not use on razors with plastic or paint. Reluctant to use on thin electroplated gold razors also.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Red Rider

I use the steamer mostly for TTO razors with gunked up internals as it helps loosen those.
    I still polish after cleaning. Simichrome sounds like a good polisher. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    SHAVEWIZARD420 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Agreed buddy, I also use it on my razors but had originally bought it to polish my car's rims. It was a natural progression to use it on my razors. :happy088:

Red Rider and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I found a tube in the garage, and decided to give it a try on my razors, and it has worked better than anything else I have tried. The good news is there has been no damage from using it. That was my biggest concern.

Red Rider likes this.