some soap recommendations

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MrMattyV, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MrMattyV

MrMattyV New Member

guys i need a few recommendations on some soaps. i was discussing my decision to use a DE blade to shave with my mother and she told me to get bay rum. cus when i was a child i loved that smell. what are some great combinations out there with bay rum?

so far i have on my list to buy is a bay rum from pirates cove.

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Are you looking for straight bay rum, or a blend?

3. MrMattyV

MrMattyV New Member

well i picked up some straight bay rum. im looking for some blends or something that smells great

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

You might check out susie's bubbles: www.susiesbubbles.net

I haven't tried her bay rum- but I like the scents I have tried and the quality of her soaps are top notch.

5. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Suggest Ems Place Soaps

Suggest giving ems place soaps a try.

Very clean and natural feeling. Almost as though its not on your face. Puck also lasts longer than other brands. Wide range of scents.

emsplace.com

Balancing blend - Sandalwood, Amyris, Frankincense, Lavender, Ginger, Myrrh and Balsam. Has a deep, warm, soft, woody-balsamic scent with an earthy-green undertone. This blend is sure to give you the calm and confidence to tackle any occasion.
    » Bay Rum blend - Bay Rum, Orange, Patchouli, Lemon, Cinnamon, Sage, Cedarwood, Lime, Clove, Balsam and Frankincense. Has a full bodied citrus and spice scent with an exotic undertone from the bay rum and balsamic oils. Our version of the popular men's aroma. (Bay Rum is replacing Citruspice)
    » Lavender, Pure - Bulgarian lavender (lavandula officinalis) has an herbaceous-floral scent with a woody-balsamic undertone. Lavender is reputed to be one of the most versatile therapeutic essences along with tea tree, but smells great! Enjoy the nice aroma while taking advantage of all the beneficial skin care properties this essential oil provides.
    » Lime Citrus blend - Lime, Orange, Sandalwood Mysore, Jasmine, Frankincense, Lemongrass, Lemon, Mandarin and Geranium. Light, upbeat, zesty aroma for the lime enthusiast! Has a lime and mild citrus overtone with a subtle sandalwood and jasmine undertone providing body to the blend. Citrus oils are high in antiseptic properties. Not for use before sun exposure due to high citrus oil content.
    » Minty Menthol blend - Menthol with Rosemary, Peppermint, Spearmint and Frankincense essential oils. A refreshing and energizing blend. Can provide a tingling and cooling sensation which is normal due to the menthol content. This stimulating blend is especially good at the start of the day, during hot spells and anytime a lift is desired. Has a mentholated minty aroma with an herbaceous undertone.
    » Outdoors blend - Cedarwood, Rosewood, Frankincense, Geranium, Lime, Pine Needle and Lemon essential oils. Has a woodsy-citrus aroma with a hint of floral-spice. Great all-around skin care properties.
    » Skindicinal blend - Eucalyptus, Lavender, Tea Tree and Myrrh. Has a fresh, light, camphoraceous aroma with a sweet, balsamic undertone. This therapeutic blend is especially beneficial for troubled skin.
    » Strengthening blend - Rosemary, Frankincense, Peppermint, Spearmint and Lemon. Has a fresh, minty, herbaceous scent with a camphoraceous, woody undertone. This stimulating blend helps sharpen mental clarity and awareness. May provide an extremely mild cooling sensation from the natural menthol content in the mint-based oils.
    » Woodstock blend - Patchouli, Sandalwood, Balsam, Cinnamon and Ginger. Has a rich, earthy, woody herbaceous scent with a hint of spice. This masculine scent is appreciated by all patchouli and sandalwood enthusiasts with purifying skin care properties too.

For a complete listing of all our essential oil blends or for scent samples visit the samples page. Catch a whiff!
    About hydrosol - Also known as distillate or floral water, it is the by-product of essential oil steam distillation and includes some of the water-soluble plant elements not included in essential oil. Has its own unique, light scent.

SOAPS - These are not your standard off-the-shelf varieties. The glycerin rounds are formulated with natural oils and extra glycerin for a long lasting shaving lather that rinses clean. The botanical soaps retain natural glycerin and clean without stripping the skin of natural oils. Both kinds of soap are facial grade and can be used on the whole body. Luffa rounds make an excellent facial scrubber for the forehead and cheeks before, or after, using a shaving brush.

Shaving and body soaps

Glycerin Shaving Rounds

3 oz. regular size glycerin shaving or cleansing round in your choice of essential oil blends is great for use with shaving brushes and is the refill size for our shaving sets (or use your own container). 2 3/4" approx. diameter. Enriched with extra glycerin. Can be used for gentle face or body cleansing too! What could be more convenient. (Video: Adding Essential Oil to Unscented Glycerin Soap) #mn-gbr

Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Elaesis Sp. (Palm Oil), Ricinus Communis (Castor Oil), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Oil), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Purified Aqua (Water), Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, and Vitamin E from Glycine Soja (Soybean) and essential oils as applicable. (It is the reaction of Sodium Hydroxide with oil and liquid that makes soap.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ >>

Select Scent
    Unscented, $4.95
    Outdoors, $6.25
    Balancing, $6.25
    Bay Rum, $6.25
    Pure Lavender, $6.25
    Lime Citrus, $6.25
    Minty Menthol, $6.25
    Skindicinal, $6.25
    Strengthening, $6.25
    Woodstock, $6.25

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I can also recommend JoAnnas shaving soaps. Jou can get them in Bay Rum and I personally recommend looking into the "TSD signature scent" which smells similar to Bay Rum :)

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

QED makes a good soap. His website is a mess, but you can call him up.

www.qedusa.com

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Glycerin soaps are fine and they certainly come in a wide variety of fragrances, you'll certainly find a decent bay rum with any of the reputable vendors. Not to mention they are cheap too.

However, if you really want to try a shave soap, I say just skip straight to a good tripple milled soap, DR Harris or Truefitt & Hill. That's where the real quality is at.

9. diamud

diamud New Member

Just use whatever soap you like and add a drop of good bay rum to the lather...viola, bay rum scent. Works for any soap.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I also am happy to do any blends someone may want.

TSD Signature Scent is a Bay Rum and Bergamot blend.

11. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

I like my Bay Rums with a little something extra. Check out Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum with a Twist as well as Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns Shaving Soap. +1 on the Pirates Cove - try their Bay Rum & Lime. :D

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    But they don't make a bay rum shaving soap. :confused:

13. msandoval858

Which is too bad, it'd prob be a nice soap.

I've just learned that sometimes you have to sacrifice fragrance for performance unfortunately.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

To each his own, I suppose - but I couldn't disagree more. I don't have a T&H soap, but I don't care for Harris (Arlington) or Kent's MWF at all. Harder to lather, virtually unscented and (especially Harris) seriously overpriced.

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I do have to disagree here. You can find many lousy and many great soaps in every department, be they triple-milled, be they glycerine-soaps or none-triple-milled handmade-soaps without glycerin.

However, as the original question was about a soap that does go well with Bay Rum or that has a Bay Rum scent, let's discuss the topic of glycerin vs. TM elsewhere.

16. msandoval858

I apologize, I guess I misread the original post and was thinking a suggestion for a good soap in general (didn't realize the focus was on Bay Rum).

Didn't mean to start an off topic debate :ashamed001

17. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

+1 on Joanna's soaps. The smells and the fells are second to none. U will be happy.

18. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

I will have to say the only two small vendors I will deal with are Joanna at TSD, and Colleen at TGQ. They both make fantastic soaps (and creams!!), they have some lovely scents (including various versions of bay rum), and the prices are very reasonable.

19. MrMattyV

MrMattyV New Member

the focus of this isnt on bay rum solely. i am interested in everyones opinions.

yea im going to order a few from tsd. what is tgq?

also what is the difference between essential oil and fragrance oil?

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

no need to apologize :D

@MrMattyV: EO means (natural) essential oils while FO stands for (artificial) Fragrance Oils

"TQC" is TheGentleMansQuarter