Something I Always Do To My Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill G, May 4, 2016.

1. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Some may think I am crazy but I have found these steps to go a long ways in care with a safety razor.

#1 A lot of folks do this.. I completely disassemble and wipe down my razors & remove blade for storage (a must in my opinion on S/S razors)
    #2 Some may find this strange and think I am crazy but this little step works well and it protects the razors threads in the handle and on the top cap. I apply a small dab of Vasoline to the threads on the top caps threads when I reassemble the razor. This minimizes thread wear and prevents thread gualding and just keeps things nice and smooth (also cleans off very easily).

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Bill, not long ago the guys were talking about using a little bit of Teflon tape, I think it was Kerry Razorburn......Mike

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

That is pretty much what I do. Except that after I clean the razor and wipe dry the blade, I put a drop of mineral oil on the handle threads and run a bead on each edge of the blade after reassembly. I wipe the excess oil off of the blade after it sits a minute, so that nothing drips on the counter.

AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  4. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I kind of do the same thing I take my slim after I shave completely disassemble it clean it lubricate it oil it polish it put it all back together again and by then I'm almost 3 hours late for work

AGHisBBS, Bill G, BigMike and 3 others like this.
  5. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I strop my safety razor on a towel, two or three times then dry/polish it with the towel after each shave. I disassemble and clean with a soft toothbrush each blade change. I find the cleaning part to be quite therapeutic. I like shiny!

6. gregkw1

I do the same almost. I clean polish and disinfect my blade and put it back in its wax paper and seal it again with some wax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Bill G, BigMike and 2 others like this.
  7. gregkw1

I also remelt my soaps pour them back in their original container so it looks like they were never used

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Bill G, blashe and 2 others like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am almost ashamed to say that I put the razors I use in the ultrasonic cleaner every few months, and that's about it. With TTOs I apply a drop of mineral oil after cleaning and drying.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BigMike and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I disassemble mine after each use, rinse the razor parts and blade, dry them off and then reassemble it. It takes just a minute. My razors are always clean and ready to shave.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To all who "disassemble", or "completely disassemble", please define. I can't imagine that you are pulling apart, "disassembling", your TTOs. 3-piece I can understand.

I take the blade out, wipe the razor down with my towel, strop the blade and pot it into the next razor up.
    With 30+ DEs in the rotation, only getting use Mon-Fri, they get a Scrubbing Bubbles cleaning and oiling maybe once a year.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    preidy, Dzia Dzia and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I remove the blade, give it a spray of rubbing alcohol on both sides, then set it aside for the next shave. I also spray the razor down then rub it with a microfibre cloth.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If it's a 3 piece razor, I unscrew the top, remove the blade, rinse everything and wipe it down with a dry cloth. If I plan on using that razor the next day, I put it back together and it's ready for action the next morning. TTOs are even easier. It takes no more than 60 to 90 seconds and my razors are always spotless, clean and dry when I'm done.

Terry Williams, AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  13. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Not unreasonable to take such care of a vintage razor but keep in mind that it did not get that level of care before and has lasted over 50 years. I operate on the premise that excessive disassembly and reassembly reduces the lifespan of a razor so I only do a thorough cleaning when I replace the blade and I don't use a lubricant.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Put me in the lazy camp with 3 piece razors to include vintage and modern SS razors. I rinse my razor off after each shave. When I change the blade I give it a more detailed cleaning. Meaning I wipe it down on the inside. No lubrication at all.

15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I respect a man that takes good care of his tools....especially tools that are very sharp and can draw blood. I change my blade (and lately my razor) every Sunday. I don't remove the blade during the week...I discard the blade on Sunday. The razor: I clean and polish and store it until the next time I use it. I do put a drop of mineral oil on the threads.

Judging by the condition of some of the vintage razors I have found in antique stores...they were never cleaned...ever. :sick007:

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  16. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

I clean mine after each shave. I don't lube them though. After reading this I may start.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jim99, AGHisBBS and Bill G like this.
  17. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Lol at Greg's comments

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And most still work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I wipe down my three piece razors when I change the blade, usually after one use, and lube with a drop of mineral oil about every 3 times.

Jim99, Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  20. NickMach007

NickMach007 Member

I'm not a precise as most. I don't disassemble. I give them a quick scrub with a soft toothbrush. Pat dry with a towel and move on. They may be a little damp, but they dry reasonably quickly. I only oil after a deep cleaning (or if I can feel that they need it). Honestly I don't see how a little moisture is harming stainless steel, nickel plate, chrome, etc. If they stay wet for long periods of time that's another matter. But maybe I'm wrong.

AGHisBBS and BigMike like this.