SoS: April 17, 2017 - April 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Tuesday Planned SOTD
    [​IMG]

Vintage Merkur razor
    Rudy Vey beehive brush
    Soapmakers of Awesometown shaving soap
    Captains Choice Lime aftershave

Navarrsky, Jayaruh, poppi and 20 others like this.
  2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Love the aqua colored vintage theme. Great Photo.

3. Smooth Steve

Great looking shave and pics buddy.
    Steve

4. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Chatillon Lux + L&L Grooming - Blackberry Blossom Bay
    Island Bladeworks "Bullwinkle" | TGN Finest
    Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)

[​IMG]

I would have liked to have included some blackberry blossoms in the pic, but well, in light of our non-existent Winter and early Spring, they have already yielded to actual berries which the wildlife have pretty much pillaged. But, as always, we're covered up in bay out here. Specifically, our underbrush is probably 80% wax myrtle/bayberry (Myrica cerifera) which emanates the pleasant fragrance year-round, peaking this time of year.

Blackberry Blossom Bay is as close to bay rum territory as it can be without having an actual rum note. As such, it is very much a Spring iteration, which is not to be translated as light or short-lived. This is a robustly fragranced soap. The inclusion of blackberry blossom is a nice touch, and it's held up by soft vanilla and sandalwood. The overall accord almost tricks me into thinking I smell clove, but I really don't detect it, nor do I feel it. Additionally, my brain tries to fill in the rum, but it's not there. Instead there's a floral and blossom component that's not immediate but rather unfolds and sweetens a bit during the shave, succumbing to light cinnamon in the latter stages.

L&L's bison base is ridiculously dense and slick. I have enough of these under my belt that I can confidently say this is one of the elite soaps in the artisan realm. I'm a huge fan of clay in soaps provided it's done right. L&L's is one of the best applications of clay in a soap base I've ever encountered. It rivals Stirling's old formula, but it lathers easier. L&L is one of the easiest and consistent lathers I've used, provided I load with a barely damp brush until I get that sticky, stringy substance embedded in the knot's tips. Then, I dunk the knot in my hard water and go to town with a perfect scalp lather, completely skipping the big bubble stage.

So, to dance with who brung me, I finished with Chatillon Lux's splash. Again, the bay rum "suggestion" makes me anticipate the impending flush (my skin doesn't care much for cinnamon), but it doesn't happen. It's the perfect ratio of bracing and cooling along with a heavenly and unique take on bay. The floral and bay are initially more forward, but the dry-down introduces the sandalwood, vanilla and sweet citrus, but just as you think it's stabilized, a slightly pungent, but glorious berry blossom overtakes the fragrance and actually seems to intensify about an hour later. The staying power is one of the best in the business as I continued to enjoy it a good 6 hours later. This fragrance is very much a work of art.

When these two guys get together, they knock it out of the park!

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a freshly honed and restored razor. 2 pass BBS shave, without touchup. Excellent razor.

Razor- Griffon Cutlery. The Darrow & Comstock New London Conn
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- ARKO/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Arctic Blue
    P4170836.JPG

Jayaruh, poppi, Bobcat and 18 others like this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Steve!

clint64 and Smooth Steve like this.
  7. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

8. Smooth Steve

Great review and photo. You have me excited to try this combo. I just received mine in the mail today and will try it in the next couple of days.
    Steve

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!!!!

April 17

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (3)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

After yesterday's rather long and quite fun discussion about blades and how much difference they really make and, after probably surprising a few people by my basic conclusion that blades aren't the major determining factor in a shave, I decided to throw a little pseudo-science at the question again. I wanted to move back to my Fatboy for Arko Adjustable April, and decided to choose a blade that I have tried before and determined to be second tier. The Merkur Super Platinum from Germany fits the bill nicely. While this blade is certainly not among the worst blades, I have always considered it to be in that second tier of blades that are usable but not preferable. To me it's a bit rough, draggy and not all that sharp. That's my last impression of it at least but it has been a year or more since I used it.

Now, I will also state that I know a lot of people who like this blade, based on shave reviews and SOTD's around. But the general consensus would be more to the negative, again based on anecdotal evidence. For whatever that's worth. Did I mention this is a Pseudo-science approach yet? I did? Good.

So, with the JR46 and Arko I removed any possibility that the lather would be either too thin or not slick enough and went to work. Two passes and I found the blade to be smooth at the mild 3 setting. No issues with dragging and overall a nice feel. The finish is DFS, though not as high a DFS as I tend to prefer. Still, it's a good shave. And the fault of the result could be the mildness of the setting as much or more than the blade. That's why I'm giving it three shaves. Up to 6 tomorrow, then 9 on Wednesday. Standard blade trial but I'm being careful to judge only what I feel from the blade each time and the result.

Early results from tonight would suggest that my impression of the blade as being among the "not the sharpest" is probably correct but my impression of it being rough was not confirmed. We'll see how it works out the next two nights.

Tax day today! I trust everyone is all done with that. If not.....there's still time! But not much!

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, RyX, poppi and 16 others like this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Timeless Razor, Wolf Whiskers brush
    Chatillon Lux/L&L Grooming Blackberry blossom bay soap and Aftershave, Jayaruh razor stand, pre-war Gillette tech reworked by Delta echo razors

IMG_20170417_225824.jpg

Jayaruh, RyX, ram57 and 17 others like this.
  11. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone! SOTD 04/18/17

Gem Featherweight
    Gem Personna (2)
    Synthetic
    Col. Conk Amber
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Aqua Velva Musk A/S

Another Great SE Shave, Smooth And Comfortable!!

Have A Great Day Everyone! DSCF1239.JPG

12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Tue. 4/18/17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marvelous shave with the PAL Injecto-Matic this morning. Three passes for a dolphin smooth and refreshing finish. Enjoy your day friends. :)

13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Date: 18 April 2017

Brush: - Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
    Lather: - Tabac
    Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General" SE with The Stray Whisker "Howitzer" Handle
    Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) Blade #5
    Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Tabac Aftershave Splash & Balm

14. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Brass Colonial General SE
    Feather Pro (3)
    Esbjerg Orange Vetiver Shave Cream
    Charcoal Goods Aluminum Handle Synthetic Knot
    Nivea Creme Balm
    Clubman After Shave

alfredus, Smooth Steve, ilts and 17 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 18, 2017
    Wolfman WR1 OC
    Feather (3)
    “Amigos” Simpson CH2 Jade Synthetic
    Route 66 Lumberjack
    Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much.

RyX, Sparrow, Robyflexx and 1 other person like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Roby!

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

IMG_0061.JPG

April 18 SOTD:

Omega Boar Brush
    MWF
    Schick Type G
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Captain's Choice Bay Rum AS

alfredus, Smooth Steve, ilts and 17 others like this.
  19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks Jim. Have a great day buddy. :)

clint64, Douglas Carey and Norcalnewb like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Pretty picture, Roger!

Robyflexx, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.