SoS: August 14, 2017 - August 20, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

Just had the best shave I've had yet. I'm starting to get my Merkur Vision dialed in. I switched from the Merkur blades to some store bought at the grocery store for comparison. The new blades are much smoother. I dialed in the adjustment to a little more aggressive than my last shave, which didn't feel all that close, and a little less than the one before that, which left me nicked up with razor burn added. And hardly any sting from the alum block afterward. Only from the two weepers.
    This time, I just had two small weepers, and the shave is the closest I've had yet. It felt smooth all the way through. I'm starting to get better at my technique, but I still need more practice. Under my chin, and under the ear is still a little rough, but still better than before. Here's to tomorrow! :eatdrink047:

PLAla, alfredus, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) August!!!

August 20 Grand Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (3)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - 30DC LE
    Post - Alum

With the Dorcos behind me it's time to move on. How about some time with Gillette blades? Yes? Cool. I think I need a break with some pretty much guaranteed good shaves. Not that the Dorcos were all that bad, it's just that I've usually found Gillette made blades to be above average. Some are outstanding. Of course, those would be the Russian ones. :happy036:

I have 19 Gillette blades in my stash and I think that covers all of them. I'm starting with the Gillette Stainless from St. Pete. It's obviously a stainless coated blade (Duh) and I don't think I've ever used one before. I'm back to the Slim for the Gillettes and I'll be rotating brushes as usual. I'll stick with one soap per blade and rotate through them as well. No need to stick too tightly to a rule here as I know a lot of these and am expecting no surprises. Tabac is the soap chosen for this blade and the first brush up is the LE brush.

Two passes and touch ups and to say it was smooth is an understatement. Now, it could have been more effective. The angle seemed a bit tough to find on this blade at the mild 3 on the Slim. But, once I had it the results were acceptable. DFS finish and no blood. No complaints and I expect it to improve with aggression.

I'll be on the road tomorrow looking for clear skies and a disappearing sun! Have a great Monday!

[​IMG]

PLAla, alfredus, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 21 August 2017 is nearly 6:25am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush: - Envy Shave '8 Ball' 25/53mm Black Wolf Fan Knot
    Lather: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
    Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
    Blade: - Feather Hi-Stainless #1
    Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
    Fragrance: - YSL L’Homme EDT

WOW!! Didn't realised the Feather blade cut like pure butter with the Gillette Ball Tech with only 2 pass shave WTG & XTG like magic :eek:.......I've been so bloody blind and I should've got a Ball Tech 3 years ago when I started wet shaving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    RyX, PLAla, alfredus and 6 others like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup Matt.

clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Steve.

Yehuda D and clint64 like this.
  6. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doug!

Yehuda D, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.