SoS; March 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Queen of Blades, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Today's shave turned out nicely. Although I had to adapt and improvise to overcome.
    My elements included;
    Hot water wash with a washcloth
    Brothers bristles/ ace black badger
    Route 66 A Perfect Gent
    PAL Adjustomatic
    Schick vintage blade
    Grand Shave King self lubricating razor
    Persona lab (5)
    Test series of botanical balm from Route 66
    Avon Exploration aftershave balm
    Avon Exploration cologne
    Today I tried a new (to me) razor. The PAL Adjustomatic. I had some difficulty cleaning it up and replacing the blade. I may have inadvertently inserted an old vintage Schick blade I acquired with my H model. The newer injector with the chick Schicks wouldn't inject. I had thought i put new blades in the older injector. The first pass proved the blade to be too dull to achieve the desired results. The GSK from yesterday stepped in nicely to accomplish the task. My stock (test series) of botanical balm, seemed to lost it's scent. Avon Exploration (Not as nice a A Perfect Gent) pinch hit and completed the shave. A spritz of matching cologne, I'm ready for church.
    Hope y'all did as well, or better. 20180318_122524_resized(1).jpg after church I loaded a new blade in the PAL.
    If your still reading and are interested, the PAL seemed really easy to find the angle and very maneuverable. I'll try again tomorrow. It'll be my third attempt at injectors (bunny v1, SchickH). I'll post tomorrow with my second try with PAL. Ty, for reading.

sdguero, clint64, alfredus and 18 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Kept reading til the end David. :) Someday I will give an injector a go.

3. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interest, but you have to remember that dogs don`t belong to you, you belong to them, and dogs love their possessions (like a soup bone?).
    I may be looney tunes at times, but I know the difference between figurines and the real thing. I remember the last dog that had me. The sweetest thing on four legs. he possessed me completely. God be with you Paul, Bill

sdguero, clint64, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  4. Vesalio

Vesalio Well-Known Member

Shave of the day.
    Soap and after shave cologne Russe B & M, european white badger plisson brush, razor of tio sentado Solingen 8/8, eau de cologne Old Spice. Excellent shaving and better Sunday.[​IMG]

Sent from the Wolf's Den

sdguero, MR41, clint64 and 20 others like this.
  5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SUNDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Bath Soap:
    Better Bath Better Body Arthritis Soak Bath Salt
    WSP Tobacco

[​IMG]
    Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Astra Superior Platinum *Fresh blade
    Shave Brush - Beauty7 Professional Premium Synthetic Nylon
    Pre-shave Oil - Lather & Wood "unscented"
    Suds - Henri et Victoria "Cognac and Cuban Cigars"
    Razor/Brush Stand by Royal Shave
    Aftershave - Chanel Egoiste Splash Lotion
    Post-Shave Balm - Nicci Marie Hyaluronic Acid Anti-Aging Face Serum
    Deodorant - Chanel Egoiste
    Fragrance - Chanel Egoiste EDT

The fresh Astra blade on the Edwin Jagger gave a nice BBS result and I could tell it was cutting close due to the very tiny 'micro weepers' that went away immediately after a split-second spec of blood. That's cutting it close. I'm glad I had good soap and pre-shave oil going for extra protection. I think the underlying products protected me from the aggressiveness of the fresh/sharp Astra. The Edwin Jagger Kelvin still seemed to impart a comfortable shave with no feeling of irritation during or after the shave. I was able to achieve a BBS 3-pass+cleanup.

I noticed that the Astra blade from this 5-pack doesn't have the usual black lettering on both sides but rather this blade has laser-etching on a single-side of the blade. So, my question is, did Astra re-vamp/change their blade manufacturing methods? This blade did feel a tad sharper than my usual Astra Superior Platinum. It performed more like a Feather blade. Although Astra's have always leaned towards the sharp side, this blade seemed even moreso.

That said, every blade I've tried shaves great in the EJ Kelvin except Derby's. So, I cannot say for certain just how much this blade changed with the manufacturing process being altered but it seems to be a sharper, more aggressive blade.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    sdguero, MR41, clint64 and 21 others like this.
  6. billdog2

I had one exactly like that , if I remember right, it`s a Schick. Got it on West Coast Shave, but that was years ago. The head didn`t swivel, so I had to get rid of it. I liked the way you slid the handle onto the cart. May God Bless your Sunday.

Bill

clint64, ilts, Boru62 and 3 others like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Beautiful photo Jim ☺️

clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks Jim Have a great day buddy ☺️

clint64 and Norcalnewb like this.
  9. billdog2

Very nice layout Tim. Eye candy for those who love simplicity.

Bill

clint64, jimjo1031 and Tim Spencer like this.
  10. billdog2

I really feel for you, may God help you! Admiration for someone with that kind of fortitude, Bill

clint64, jimjo1031 and Str8on2 like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Today's shave was with a Japanese Straight. I had a smooth 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS. Ine little nick, because I was in a hurry. Oh well, it woke me up at least.

Razor- Japanese. YAMA Super Extra.
    Brush- JR#262. Ebony/Birdseye Maple, w/Silvertip Badger.
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice

P3180071.JPG

12. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yeah. I like the neat, clean layout. Although some of my sets have fancy items, I organize them a certain way on the sink for ease of use.

clint64 and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not fortitude my friend. But when you have to suck it up, you suck it up. :(
    Stay frosty amigo..... ;)

clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

03/19/18 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Prickly Pear ATG Pre-Shave Soap
    Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Shaving Soap
    RazoRock Rosso Corsa F-400 XXL 34MM Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Timeless Polished Stainless Steel OC Razor with 0.95mm Blade Gap, Scalloped Cap, & Dimpled Handle
    Bolzano Superinox Blade - 11th Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel Astringent with Aloe Vera Formula
    The Sudsy Soapery 100% All Natural Rose & Black Pepper Creamy Aftershave Balm
    Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel - Eau de Toilette Spray
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength

D IMG_8876.jpg

sdguero, MR41, clint64 and 21 others like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

'48-'50 Gillette Aristocrat Razor
    Bolzano Superinox Blade
    Omega 10066 Boar Brush
    Omega Shaving Cream
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Clubman After Shave

In my opinion, I think that this razor is one of the best Gillette has ever made. It has yet to fail me on any blade that I've used in it. Also thanks to @Morman Bridge for introducing me to these Bolzano blades, they will always be on my top list of blades. Very sharp and very smooth, my favorite combo. Two passes with a hint of touch up for a fantastic BBS shave on a blade that has been used a few times.

Untitled.jpg

16. billdog2

If you must be on the road a great deal of the time, you might consider a plastic handle with very cheap carts that shave like the big boys. The Gillette "Guard" is very surprising!! I get a BBS on almost every shave with it. Easy to pack, all you need is a little gel and you're good to go. Just a suggestion, but I think it deservers a look, you never know, oh I forgot, the head swivels, so that might kill the deal. Sincerely, Bill

MR41, clint64, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Thank You Bill, I Got It In A Lot Puchase Enjoy The Rest Of Your Day!, Steve

clint64 likes this.
  18. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Thank You Roby!!

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Nice shave today with my Suzy Q. The Rose Petal Thayers was a nice change of pace as well. Feeling very smooth and smelling good. :rofl:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
    Suzumasa AA FBU 13/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

Suzumasa AA FBU 13-16 AOS MNSHL SM TWRP.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

20. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill. I will definitely give that idea some serious thought..... :happy088:

clint64 and Edison Carter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.