SoS: November 13, 2017 - November 19, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great setup and pictures Chris.

clint64, Bama Samurai and Yehuda D like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember!!!

November 19 - Pot luck shaves

Razor - Kai Captain Original Pain Stick
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Pre-Shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Stirling Electric Sheep
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post - Alum (ouch)

Well, as I posted a bit earlier in the 30DC thread, the Qshave has been retired. Long live the Qshave. The clicking sound followed by the wobbly head turned out to be a defect in the razor that was also present in some of the actual Futur razors that the Qshave cloned. The blade support/guide is what is wobbly in the handle and there's no real way of fixing it short of destroying the razor. So, for now, the Qshave is retired. It was cheap so no great loss. I'll probably replace it with a Ming Shi just to have a workable version around. In the meantime my focus is unfocused. Considering this is NOVember, my no variation ideas have varied greatly. My original plan was undone by slow boats from Russia. Now the replacement focus, which I was really enjoying.....gone as well. So it's time to allow my focus to blur and just have a bit of fun.

So, haven't used a pain stick for quite awhile. Since the danger of the Qshave was the blade position shifting and drawing blood, what's the worst that can happen with a pain stick? I went with the pre-shave soap, the high voltage mutton and the 30DC brush for some super slick action in the lather. And, on my first pass with the Kai which was sporting a new Feather Pro blade I had a great run. Still seem to have all of the requisite skill for this thing. On the second pass it was quite obvious that my skills had either abandoned me or else the curse of the defective Qshave was at work. A little blood here, a little blood there. Here some blood, there some blood, everywhere some bloody blood. Well, ok, not quite that bad but at least a half dozen nicks and one nice "tip dip" that scored a nice bloody mess. Clearly I need to remember I have these razors and use them a bit more often. Alum was a nice reminder of what nicks and cuts feel like, everything sealed up nicely and I do have a nice medium level DFS. Good enough for tonight as I'm off the next two days.

I may give the pain stick another run tomorrow night or I may do something else. Eleven days left to wander in the wilderness of my gear. This could be fun.

[​IMG]

PLAla, SpeedyPC, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  3. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SOTD 11/19/2017 SUNDAY
    RAZOR: Drug Mart CALIBER 5 Pivot Razor (disposable) - Personna/Schick Wilkinson Sword
    BLADE: FIVE (*compare to Gillette Fusion 5 Blade razor) - this was my 6th shave with this razor.
    BRUSH: NO - applied by hand
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory Soap, hot water rinse
    PRE SHAVE: None
    SHAVE CREAM: Gillette Fusion Proglide Sensitive - Ocean Breeze
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    BALM: Gillette After Shave Gel
    Caliber5_Gillette_AV_IceBlue_Gillette.jpg
    Got a VERY efficient 2-pass BBS shave this morning - in record time!
    This razor performs well if I adhere to the technique of slow, heavy pressure strokes. One pass WIG, followed by one AGT - DONE!
    The lube strip on this razor has settled in, and is no more leaving strings of wetness as it did on the initial shaves. That's fine with me.
    I noticed that the reverse side single trim blade seemed a bit dull on squaring off my side burns. Maybe that is just because I have been using my DE's lately.
    The Gillette Fusion Shave cream is very cooling and refreshing. Seems like the menthol amps up with each application & after each pass.
    By the time I'm done, I have a great dolphin smooth, highly chilled face feel. AV Ice Blue turns it up a notch.
    Applied the Gillette After Shave gel because the shave cream is a bit drying to my face chemistry.

Hope all had a great week.

PLAla, SpeedyPC, mrchick and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.