SoS: November 30, 2015 - December 6, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Correcting an error I made-I shaved today just as I said I would, but the Army-Navy game is NEXT Saturday. Found out earlier today from the mom of a Navy gal-can't get a better source than that.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

SOTD
    Route 66 Sweeney Todd soap
    AOS Pure Badger brush
    Birth Quarter Gillette SuperSpeed (G4)
    Feather blade (5)
    Witch Hazel
    TSD Iced Egyptian Spice AS
    Have a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I missed the "tant mieux" part. Deja was easy-my education, and Yogi Berra :)

Morman Bridge, ram57 and clint64 like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sunday's planned shave:

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Astra day 7
    Gada Cool Mint SC :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Gold Bond Moisturizer :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

It's a good thing for me that I have a couple of extra tubes of this Gada Cool Mint cream for my own pleasure because I have to send away a few to some friends of mine both overseas and in the US. It's such a delightful cream with wonderful lather and an awesome scent, as well as nice cooling and plenty of skincare. The Gold Bond moisturizer gives lots of menthol goodness also with plenty of great protection against dryness and irritation. I swore that I'll never not be with my Aqua Velva aftershave because it's such a top-favourite of mine! ;) :D

IMG_0544_1.JPG gold-bond-medicated-body-lotion-400-ml-600x600.jpg 17603_2c8c1bdbfd620179fecedbe7006d439a.jpg

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Merkur 38C Barber Pole
    Blade: Wilkinson (6)
    Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
    Soap: Route 66 Barbershop Hop
    A/S: TSD Iced Barber Shoppe
    5 12 15.jpg

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod151206b.JPG
    Sunday's

ZCOLDWATER.jpg

Dove Men Face Wash
    Jabonman Pepperilla Shave Soap (gift from @Redrock )
    Jayaruh #28 two-band finest badger
    Pal Adjustable/Schick C
    Personna Super Stainless
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Cucumber WH
    Pinaud Clubman

The Jabonman Pepperilla Shave Soap face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #28 two-band finest badger brush. This is the two-band from my old Frank Shaving brush. It will still be a favorite. The JPSS was a gift from @Redrock . It is a very nice soap. The first pass I used my new Schick C. I was very respectful of it because I have never used one like it. It did a fine job. Then I finished off with my new to me Pal Adjustable Razor and a Personna Super Stainless blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Cucumber WH and then Pinaud Clubman after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  7. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

So is that knot just as good as you remembered?

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

December 5 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
    Pacific Shaving Co Caffeinated SC
    CJB Pain Stick
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Barbasol Pacific Rush AS

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I will let you know in the morning.

Edit: It is as good as I remember. This will continue to be a favorite knot/brush.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    wristwatchb, Karl G, JR Reyes and 5 others like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Sundays Planned SOTD

Razor: Steampunked Gillette Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (D6)
    Brush: Shavemac H4414024 Horn 24mm Silvertip
    Bowl: Symmetrical Sheet Metal
    Pre Shave Scrub: MRGLO
    Pre Shave Balm: Proraso Sensitive

Shave Soap: Mickey Lee Grand Havana
    Aftershave: Small Batch Shave Tonic

[​IMG]

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF the day
    20151205_171727.jpg

Prep: shower with RR Son of Zeus soap
    President shave: musgo real orange amber
    Razor: 1920's OC ball end old type
    Blade: laser sp (1st shave)
    Brush: omega s synthetic
    Soap: speick (grated into puck)
    Aftershave: barbasol Pacific rush
    Balm: arko maximum comfort

Had a good 3 pass shave. Started out a bit rough but once I got the angle right it was smooth sailing. The Speck and other shave sticks seem to lather better in puck form for me for some reason . Finished shave with Pacific rush and Arko balm. Hope everyone had a great shave and a great day!

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

December Focus

The Twelve Blades of December!

Hard to believe we've almost put this year to bed. Wow. Where did the time go? But, here we are and as a gift to everyone here I'm offering up my shaves with twelve blades that have never touched my face, randomly paired with twelve of my DE razors. Two shaves with each setup to finish on Xmas Eve. So, sit back, get the fire burning and enjoy what I hope is an enjoyable month of further proof Technique Trumps Tools. I hope for that....my expectations aren't as optimistic.

December 5

Razor - '47 Gillette Super Speed
    Blade - gentle-man small.jpg (1)
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold water, Alum, The Veg

Day five of the twelve blades and it's the first day for a mysterious blade. The Gentle Man Platinum Steel. When I first encountered this blade the information connected with it said it was from Russia. Aha! Something new from.......Moscow? St. Petersburg? Chelyabinsk? Siberia? Kiev? Oh wait, that's Ukraine. I enquired as to the manufacturer and discovered that it is not a Russian blade, as far as we know. I was told it was made in America for sale overseas. But, that made little sense to me and, in fact, the seller was not able to confirm that from the supplier. There is nothing on the tuck that states a country of origin or manufacturer. And, a search of Google produces absolutely nothing. Other than, of course, the info from tryablade.com that I was working from in the beginning. So, off to the bay. Searched the name in all its forms there as in Google. Nothing. It's a ghost. Amazon? Same thing. B&B? Nope, nothing. I even posted in the razor blade forum asking for info and got nothing (though that's actually how they seem to work over there...post a question, get three answers that have nothing to do with the question and then silent). The blade itself is blank, no printing on it at all. And, nothing on the wrapper. I thought perhaps Chinese but can't find anything to prove anything. It's a silver blade, stainless steel, says it's platinum coating and that's that. So, what's left to do but shave with it, right?

The razor for the ghost blade is the '47 Super Speed. Love this razor. It was the second vintage razor I ever bought and was replated by Chris at razorplate.com. It's BoSFat for a lather since I want the best protection I can get against this blade. Just in case. Lather was perfect and rich, thick, and very slick. All's well in the beginning.

The first stroke was somewhat surprisingly not bad. Notice I didn't say good, but not bad. There's a bit of built in drag with this blade. Not really a pull or tug, but dragging. Reduction on the first pass wasn't horrible but wasn't great either. I began to think it might perform about as well as the Dorco Prime. Second XTG pass and the dragging continued. It's not horrible but noticeable. Clearly not as sharp as most. Definitely needed a third pass to finish. ATG and Gillette Slide and I ended with a DFS. Not the best, not the worst, but satisfactory. I didn't feel too irritated, nor was my neck terribly red so there's that. Alum provided a bit of extra sting than usual which I'm blaming on dullness and drag.

Overall for the first shave with the Gentle Man I'm not impressed. Yes, I got a decent shave, even to the point of DFS, but again I worked three full passes to get it. And, the dragging just didn't make it enjoyable. It wasn't miserable, just annoying. Now, to see if it gets worse tomorrow or stays the same. Hope your Saturday was a good one.

13. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Good Morning folks! Today's SOTD as follows;

1937-39 Gillette Sheraton.
    Polsilver Super Iridium blade.
    Chinese Badger hair brush.
    Proraso Blue Shaving cream.
    Proraso Blue Post Shave Balm.
    Avon Mesmerize cologne.

Pre shave shower was with C&E Moroccan Myrrh bath soap, and it complimented the Proraso Blue perfectly. I had one of the best shower shave combo's I've ever had. And a two pass BBS to boot! Here's the photo-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449385045.317837.jpg

Have a Blessed Sabbath everyone!

14. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Beautiful Sheraton. It looks like a well built work of art. Have a blessed sabbath as well. Our family also remembers to keep the Sabbath holy

15. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

SOTD : Sunday
    Setting sail for the seven seas this Sunday
    uploadfromtaptalk1449386989549.jpg

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Sunday

[​IMG]

First time using my new homemade Bay Rum splash. This is my first run, so some things might change for the next batch.
    It smells amazing! It moisturizes my face after the shave so great.
    The Matas Men soap still performs like a champ. It's a hard puck, but it loads easy.
    What threw me off my game with the splash was that my girlfriend immediately after my shave went "you smell great!".
    Why did it surprise me? She has never said that before with any of my products!
    She generally dislikes scents and, this being very old school, I suspected she would hate it like the plague. What a win for me!
    This is almost BBS - I cannot go ATG on a small area of my neck, hence I can never call it a true BBS. Rather that, than ingrowns.

Great great shave. Have a nice day, my fellow shavers!

17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING ALL!!! 12/06/15 SOTD

Razor-Gem Clog Pruf
    Blade-Gem Personna
    Lather-VDH Deluxe
    Brush-VDH Boar
    Three Passes-Wtg,Xtg,Atg
    Post Shave-Cold Water Rinse,
    Witch Hazel,Gillette After Shave Gel

A very nice Sunday morning shave,The VDH Deluxe always provides a nice rich lather.
    The Gem Clog Pruf is becoming one of my favorite vintage razors.
    All three passes were smooth and comfortable.
    So all in all a BBS shave = ONE HAPPY ILTS:happy088: HPIM2345.JPG

HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY EVERYONE!!!:)

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

12/06/2015
    Razor – GEM 1912
    Blade – GEM Stainless PTFE (2)
    Brush – Romera Olivewood Synthetic
    Lather – TSD Signature Scent
    Post - Witch Hazel and Captain’s Choice Bay Rum

[​IMG]

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

December 6

Z3 Gillette Super Speed
    Feather (1)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Alt Innsbruck

This was my first shave with the Super Speed. It's a Z3 in honor of my Bride's birth quarter. Two passes (WTG and ATG) plus a few touch ups yielded a darn fine share. I like everything about the razor - the size, feel in the hand, ease of use, and, of course, the super shave it provides.

Enjoy your day!

SOTD_120615.jpg

20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

:santaSt Nicholas´s Day Shave:santa

[​IMG]
    Mongoose on a Scott Pavkovich Handle // Soap Commander Endurance (Sample) // Dorian Brush // Feather Proguard // Tabac Man Aftershave

Great shave.

I wish all of us a Happy St Nicholas´s Day.

Greetings
    Thorsten​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.