SoS: October 16, 2017 - October 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Schick Type M Injector
    Schick blade
    Stirling boar brush
    Stirling Island Man soap
    Pinaud Clubman aftershave

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a newly acquired, and freshly honed razor. I had a very nice 2 pass shave, with this little powerhouse of a razor. I didn't have much hope, because it was a major "Rust Bucket" when I bought it. But, it delivered a very near BBS shave, without touch-ups. Great little razor, and I wouldn't hesitate getting another, if the price was right.

Razor- SurEdge. 4/8th.
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Arctic Blue

PA211278.JPG

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doug!

4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon, my friend!

Dan

Yehuda D, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  5. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    TIMELESS BRONZE :: PALADIN :: NUÀVIA :: SPEICK

6. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

OCtober 21, 2017
    Jamie's Saturday Night Shave.
    1. PAA ATG pre soap.
    2. Kshave Worx 12 hrs of shaving soap (Polo Red tribute, A.S. witch hazel splash, and post shave balm. Great tribute to POLO RED.
    3. Semogue 610. Gillette new long comb. Gillette Goal Blade.
    4. POLO RED EDT.

[​IMG]

7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Number six I love the colour of the Paladin brush handle is looks very cool.

[​IMG]

8. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated!

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great filter!

Yehuda D and clint64 like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 21

[​IMG]

Razor - '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Pre-shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

So how ARE you fixed for blades? Gillette Blue Blades, that is. Well, thanks to @BearCWY I'm quite well fixed for them. He requested that I try a shave or two with the original Gillette Blue Blades, all carbon of course, and sent me a pack with several in it. He even added some oil to the blades to keep them nice and rust free. I've gotten these NOS blades before with razor purchases and never tried any of the them, mostly because they showed signs of rust and I've read too many bad reviews of people trying it. Like that would normally stop me, right?

Well, by request, I'm giving them a go. My choice of gear is based on history a bit. The old Blue Blades were around back in the 1940's so my Aristocrat seems a perfect fit. It's also an excellent razor that should provide no issues in technique. For the soap it's Arko (on top of pre-shave soap) for its history and the fact that there is zero risk of making a bad lather. And the brush - my Wolf Whiskers Silvertip. Gotta have a natural badger to match up with the history as well.

As far as my stunt/shenanigan shaves to this one seems pretty tame. However, carbon blades can be tricky. Especially old ones that have had plenty of time to oxidize and generally feel the effect of time. I considered stropping the blade first but decided against it. It looks good under examination in a bright light. Edge looks nice and shiny with no visible rust or pitting. We'll give it a go without any extra help from the strop. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

The Wolf felt great for a change up from the synthetic rotation. It holds the hot water well from the soak so the lather goes on nice and warm. Got the typical great Arko lather and got ready to find out what this blade will do. The first stroke or two wasn't bad. I was pleasantly surprised. A bit rough feeling but not nearly as bad as some I've used. As I got down my right cheek and onto my neck the tugging and roughness seemed to increase a bit. My imagination or something else? Whatever it was it kept getting more and more obvious as I moved to the left side. By the time I finished the first pass I was about 2 seconds from throwing in the towel. Especially since it didn't seem like it had done much to reduce my beard by feel. But, I hate to throw in the towel so on to the second, XTG pass.

Better on this pass which told me it had done something with reduction. Still rough but not to the point of driving me off the blade. I finished the second pass including some sliding on the neck for touch up and called it good. Alum was surprisingly quiet but I could feel a bit of irritation sting overall. Still, the result ended up as a near-DFS. I shouldn't have to reshave for work tomorrow morning, though I'm sure my beard will be more obvious by the end of the day.

First day results - better than I could hope for probably and certainly not as bad as I was ready for. Carbon blades are usually a bit on the noisy side and can be a bit tuggy. If this blade is essentially the same as when it was new I can see why everyone was so excited when stainless blades came out. But, I can also see how it could be adjusted to and be a better and quicker shave than other options.

I think I'll give it a go again tomorrow night after checking the blade tomorrow. I dipped it in 91% alcohol and it's drying in front of my desk fan to stave off rust.

[​IMG]

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - 21 October 2017

[​IMG]

12. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Doug - greatly appreciate it :thanks:

Yehuda D, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  13. Navarrsky

Navarrsky Well-Known Member

Dubl Duck Wonderedge
    Mastro Livi loom strop
    Morris & Forndran
    Grooming Dept
    Penhaligon's AS + Balm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alfredus, ram57, sdguero and 19 others like this.
  14. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 10/22/17

Durham Duplex
    Personna (4)
    Barbasol Original
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel W/ A/S (American Fare Brisk)

A Nice Sunday Morning Shave

Have A Great Day! DSCF1826.JPG

alfredus, ram57, sdguero and 15 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 22, 2017
    Wolfman OC Ti (0.74mm)
    Personna 74 (7)
    Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    Reef Point Test Depth
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

alfredus, ram57, sdguero and 17 others like this.
  16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Guys, I changed my setup this morning mainly for the need to use some stuff which I've neglected for a long time. I found an old tube of Cerrus shaving cream which was a very cheap German budget brand and I used that. The scent is very nice, it lathers well, and it has a very mild menthol effect. This cream however, lacks in skincare a little. My balm was the Axe Chilled, which to me stinks but the cooling effect is good and I must admit it's pretty soothing. That container is finished now, so it's in the garbage can. Finally I splashed on some Alt Innsbruck aftershave for some real freeze, and that stuff smells awesome. Today's shave was a two pass quickie, but I still managed a good BBS.

Have a great Sunday!

alfredus, ram57, sdguero and 16 others like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Sun. 10/22/17
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A fine shave this morning with the Schick Xtreme3. I am smooth and refreshed. Enjoy your day friends. ☺️

18. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Roby!

19. Norcalnewb

53BCD84F-8E37-45E1-9CF4-B166EC98BE9B.jpeg

OCtober 22 SOTD:

Rubberset 400
    WSP Mahogany
    Gillette Sheraton
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    WSP Mahogany AS

alfredus, ram57, sdguero and 20 others like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great photo Jim ☺️

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.