SoS: October 16, 2017 - October 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbo667

jbo667 Well-Known Member

2. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

SOTD Sunday 10/22/2017
    RAZOR: Sabi 3 Piece Extra Heavyweight - Gold tone (4 inch handle, 4 ounces)- there's a reason this remains my GO TO DE razor.
    BLADE: Dorco Platinum ST-300
    PREP: Hot water shower followed by hot water rinse.
    PRE-SHAVE: Bloom water from shave mug.
    BRUSH: SheaMoisture Ultimate Shave Brush - black badger knot. Plenty of rich lather for multiple passes.
    MUG: Repurposed coffee/soup mug
    SOAP: Hybrid (homemade) Col. Conk Bay Rum + VDH Luxury Shave Soap- face lather
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Aqua Velva Musk After Shave
    BALM: NONE NEEDED
    SABI_Heavyweight_SheaMoisture_AV_Musk.jpg
    Very good 3 pass BBS with touchups. I should probably change out the blade to get a more efficient shave. Yet, I got a very smooth shave on each pass.
    This SABI has the Gold Tone finish, which has partially worn off from use over the last 5+ years. I think it gives a nice vintage patina to the razor.
    I really like the way this longer, heavier handle feels during the shave. Gives just the right balance and control for my shaving style.

Hope you all had a good shave, and a better day.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wonderful shave.
    Stirling Electric Sheep is my favorite soap, it's so dang good.
    The RazoRock Mamba and BEEhive continue to shine, the Mamba surprise's my everytime I use it.
    IMG_20171022_114121675~01.jpg

4. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Lather Bros. - Galaxy Gladiators
    BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
    Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

Irrespective of the wet shaving hobby, I'm very much your typical shallow consumer. I admit, I purchased "Galaxy Gladiators" and "Hela Bad" from Lather Bros. Soaps simply for the theme. The artisan played dirty pool by waving the label art before me in social media knowing full well I'd strike at it like a largemouth bass on a topwater.

Lather Bros. uses a tallow base, and I've commented on its performance previously, noting a significant improvement in slickness from my first experience with them. This change correlated with a base change including the introduction of pineapple puree. The documented ingredients on Galaxy Gladiators (and Hela Bad) do not include the puree notation. However, this base performs like the prior Lather Bros. soaps that do. I just heard back from the artisan and can now confirm the omission was a labeling oversight, and it in fact does contain pineapple puree. Regardless, Galaxy Gladiators loads very easily and lathers quickly with an impressive tolerance for water. I recommend the water be gradually introduced on the back end. If you start with a generously saturated knot, you risk large amounts of useless foam. With that caveat, you can achieve a rather predictable, paintable, dense, and slick lather. Lather Bros. is right on the edge of moving into my top tier level soaps, but it's held back by the post-shave and a less-than-stellar residual slickness. It's not a bad post-shave by any means, but my top level performers all preclude the need for supplemental products. This is a minimal factor for me, since I'm going to use a post product regardless. As far as slickness, it excels on the first swipe, but caution is advised when attempting to make a pass on skin without visible lather.

Galaxy Gladiators is an interesting and pleasant fragrance. Upon lathering, it opens rather unassumingly as a fresh, airy, woody lavender followed by an unmistakable neroli. As it unfolds, the fragrance that separates this from your typical barbershop fragrance is a simultaneous mint and tea tree. This lends a coolness to the scent if not the feel. As I was shaving, I had to take a look at the ingredients again, but I'd assumed I'd overlooked menthol as an ingredient, but it's not there. My experience with tea tree oil is that it's not particularly pleasant and is somewhat medicinal. However, as used in this soap, the mint remarkably steers it away from that end of the spectrum, thereby lending it a cool, crisp, effervescent tone. All of this was completely unexpected based on what I'd detected from the dry tub. Galaxy Gladiators must be lathered to be appreciated.

The splash takes this profile to the next level. Instead of opening with woody lavender, a slightly medicinal tea tree does pierce through, albeit ever so briefly. It then showcases the neroli much more than the soap and finally woody lavender settles in. About 3 hours out, the lavender notes fade and yield to an herbal and minty tea tree along with a more muted neroli and an overall non-specific oriental vibe. This unique and pleasant fragrance lasts at least 6 hours. Note that while this mentholated splash contains alcohol, it also contains water, aloe vera juice, and witch hazel. Shaking the bottle just prior to use is necessary.

The bottom line is I would have purchased Galaxy Gladiators for the comic book movie poster-quality labeling, but the fragrance is what will keep it in use. Sure, I took the bait, but I enjoyed the meal. Well done, Lather Bros.

Disclaimer: Galaxy Gladiators and Hela Bad (review forthcoming) are limited edition products from Lather Bros. Soaps. I pre-ordered them and paid $31.99 for each set. I received no gifts or other incentives from the vendor in exchange for my comments.

5. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! It's an aggressive little beast!

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette 1930's OC Ball End Made in Canada
    Blade: Personna Tungsten 74 (13)
    Brush: Elite Razor Tres Amigo w/ Sunset Synthetic
    Soap: Jeeves of Hudson Street Private Study
    A/S: Floid Amber

Great way to start a week with different shave equipment. The brush easily whipped up the Private Study into a thick, slick, protective lather.

22 10 17.jpg

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Today
    Hot water wash with a washcloth
    FS silvertip
    Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood
    Ikon Shavecraft 101
    Astra ss (2)
    Crusellas Sandalo
    Mahogany body lotion

Smooth and soft, football time 20171022_175507_resized(1).jpg Hope y'all did as well, or better.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Matt.

RyX, clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonight's shave was with a newly acquired razor, that already felt shave ready. I had stropped it well, and it seemed ready. But it wasn't, totally. I had a not totally comfortable 2 pass shave, that left me with a SAS. The aftershave felt like fire. From now on, every razor I buy, hits the stones, in one was or another.

Razor- New England Razor Co.
    Brush- B400 By Tom
    Soap- Arko/Avon Spicy
    Aftershave- Family Dollar "Spice"

P1011279.JPG

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice picture Douglas.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 10222017.gif
    Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood soap
    Omega Pro #98 boar brush
    Ceramic soup bowl
    Fatip Piccolo
    Feather Hi-Stainless
    Alum, Barbasol Brisk AS

12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.22.2017

Pre-shave: shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, Synthetic
    Razor: Gillette Gold Fat Handle Tech
    Blade: Derby (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Walgreen's Cooling AS

Took a quick shower and applied the shave cream by brush. Had a pleasant, close, comfortable shave with the Gillette Tech and Derby blade. Hope all had a good weekend!

IMG_1472.JPG

13. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I am a sucker for label art also. Great photo. I think the only thing I'm a bigger sucker for is super hero comic movies!
    Steve

RyX, 120inna55, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Nice shot of some cool gear Doug!

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen. :)

PLAla, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

OCtober!!!

October 22

[​IMG]

Razor - '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Post - Alum

Well, here we go. Day two with the Gillette Blue Blade that was less than impressive last night. Using a blade this old, even NOS, is never a guaranteed good shave given the nature of carbon steel to degrade. These blades that @BearCWY sent are in immaculate condition but it still turned tuggy and rough in a hurry last night. My hopes for tonight were pretty low. I did take the extra step of stropping the blade twenty times on leather just to see if that would help. No signs of rust on the edges so that made me feel better. I also chose to go with just Arko without the pre-shave soap tonight.

One of the old vintage ads for a Gillette razor mentions the Blue Blade and calls it the "blade your face can't feel". Well, trust me, you can feel it. Right from the start tonight it was rough and pulling and....surprisingly.....very ineffective. I shaved my right cheek in spite of the feel and discovered it had barely removed anything. I have no idea how many shaves they originally designed these blades for, but as a NOS blade it appears to handle 1/2 of a shave, then the second half is rough and getting worse and a second just was in the cards. I switched over to my rescue setup - '59 Super Speed with a Super Iridium blade. That finished me up in two easy and smooth passes right down to a BBS.....AND....my face didn't feel the blade with the Iridium.

There's a lot of great history in these old Blue Blades. Thanks to @BearCWY for sending me some usable ones to play with and I'm glad I can say I took the challenge. I'm also glad to say that one's in the books!

Hope you have a great Monday!

[​IMG]

FranklinFurter, Jayaruh, RyX and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.