SOTD - on paper

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I am just now getting into 'pens and papers'. I know..as if my wallet need another hole in it....

Just yesterday I picked up a Uniball Jetstream 0.7 and a 5x5 Rhodia notebook (total cost $9 so not razor-prices..yet) and am excited to start using my hands for some writing and sketching.

Now, the thing is...I'm not very good at writing OR sketching...but I want to improve.

I also have a Hobonichi on its way to me (found a place where the 2016 Techo is $17!) along with various notebooks.

So...I wanted to create little mini projects for me to keep me motivated to draw and write something each day...and...for me I think it will be my other passion Wetshaving!!

I have enough razors and stuff to mix it up on a daily basis for quite a while to come, so the plan is to;

- SKETCH what I'm using each day, and

- WRITE a bit about how it worked out for me.

That way I get to practice both drawing and writing and it's about something that I can easily switch up every day. I'm thinking I will use the Hobonichi for it or maybe just dedicate a larger notebook for it...we'll see...

Does anyone else do something similar - i.e. have a 'daily' project to keep you working on your drawing and/or sketching?

This morning, for instance, I shaved with a Wilkinson T70 razor as can be seen below;

[​IMG]

And I then spent a minute or less quickly sketching the razor..well...as I said...I'm not very good but it was fun!
    [​IMG]

Look at that....I was able to combine my two hobbies w/in one day. :D

KLF, wristwatchb, crackstar and 11 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

i spent twenty five +years as a commercial and fine arts illustrator before giving up the pen & pencil for the digital realm. Few things are as satisfying as creating images (quick sketching) while brainstorming or simply capturing a subject with pencil or pen. Now a good deal of my work is done as vector line illustration via tablets, etc. It certainly lacks the emotional connection of pen to paper.
    Have fun with it!

Bama Samurai, twhite and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I keep meaning to get back into drawing again. Your idea sounds like a good and simple way to get back into it. Nice razor, is it a DE? Nice sketch too. I'm looking forward to your next one.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'd love to see some of your "SOTDs on paper" :)
    No, it's a vintage cartridge razor that uses Wilkinson Sword bonded cartridges.
    Good shaver

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a dog house architect ;)
    Drafting class in high school set my foundation for mechanical drawings.
    Working in a lumber yard gave me opportunity to create quick blueprints for customers.
    I appreciate a decent isometric drawing. Being a carpenter, mechanic, & all around handyman I keep a pad of paper and pen within reach most all day. Never know when inspiration might hit.

Bama Samurai, Darkbulb and twhite like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Cool, me too! Except I can't draw.
    max - 1.jpg

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I disagree, Sir! Your sketch is the kind of dinner napkin drawing that got folks like our @twhite started on his Bunny. I had an art teacher back in the day that required five pages of sketch every week. Sometime it was work, but mostly it reinforced skill building. You have zeroed in on a subject. Soon you will broaden your subject matter. Keep it up and see your improvement in a month!

Bama Samurai, Darkbulb and twhite like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Today the attempt was to sketch the King Cobra.
    I'm trying to do it in a minute or less so that I don't fuzz about details and such.
    Ok, so it's not good per se...but it's really fun to do :D

[​IMG]

King Cobra
    [​IMG]

10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I love this idea! You are a pretty good sketch artist, too!

Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I'm really not - BUT it's really fun! :)
    You should join in!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

March 23, 2016 SOTD
    This was supposed to be an Ever Ready Lather catcher. Well...eh... :)
    The pen worked well though - Parker 25 RB, Fine 0.5

Not a huge fan of the Rhodia paper or the flip-over notebook design so will probably move on to my newly arrived Hobonichi! :)

[​IMG]

The actual thing:
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah...so...uh...this is a Gillette Bluetip.
    No, really it is.

[​IMG]

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Cool project.

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok who can guess what I tried to doodle here without cheating? :)

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

Wilkinson Sword Bonded cartridge razor

Click image to view full version -
    or right click and select 'Open image in new tab'
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Tdmsu, Bama Samurai and PLAla like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

I guessed a tuba. But, alas I was wrong. Your drawing does look like the razor though. Long ago I took a line drawing class. It's easier said than done!

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

At least you didn't guess a football :)
    Yeah, I'm pretty terrible at drawing but if I had limited me in life to only do things that I was good at I would had been a much less fun journey :)
    Thanks for playing!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

If you read a line drawing book, I bet you'd be pretty good! I can't draw well at all, FWIW.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

20. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I know exactly what that is....I bought one...lol. Wilkinson cart.

Bama Samurai likes this.