Sources of common beginner problems

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Leisureguy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. argus33

argus33 New Member

Getting Started

i am wanting to start out wet shaving with a straight edge. I dont know anything about this wet shaving except i love it when i have it done at a barber shop when i can find one and it is expensive. I want to learn how to do this so i can save money and treat myself to the wonderful clean shave. i have my eye on a couple of straights on ebay, is there any recomendations on what not to buy and things to look for too buy.:confused:

2. thepugilist

thepugilist New Member

Thanks

Really helpful.

3. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

Thanks.....

This is great info. thanks for your help

4. jasonlju11

jasonlju11 Member

definitely don't try to rush things learn technique then the rest kicks in.

5. coheedandme

coheedandme New Member

Great!!! Im a newb so this is right up my alley!!! Thanks!

6. GrimRep_er

GrimRep_er New Member

Hey, I'm a noob to this site and also to wet shaving. Just ordered some things last night and should be getting my stuff next week. I'm looking forward to giving this a shot. I heard about it on another forum, not related to shaving. I'll post pics of my stuff when I get it and report on my first shave. I'll look in here for tips!

awake2shave likes this.
  7. iulian

iulian New Member

awsome write up :D thanks for taking the time to father us who need it :D

8. USNCPO

USNCPO New Member

Lotsa great starter advice on here. Will start my DE adventure this weekend and will keep up on any advice and experiences others have had. until later...Nick

9. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Nice

Simple and straightforward. Mantic vids compressed on one post!

10. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

Excellent thread, I found a lot of useful information here. It is hard breaking old habits and creating new ones and wet shaving for me is a really new habit!!

11. This is brilliant, maybe you should make it required reading when joining the forum?

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

We do have a comprehensive sticky section too..but it's not required reading..only a good idea lol...

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Holy dead thread revival, batman.

This is a good thread, it covers the basics. I can't decide if LeisureGuy has over-simplified or over-complicated some shaving concepts in this post. Either way, this is solid information for new neophytes of the razor. As Slipperyjoe pointed out, the forum stickies have a section. Compared to many of them, this thread is a newpaper article (a quick read)- the stickies are a book and present not only this information, but much, much, more.

Like many here I have been inspired by LeisureGuy's self-appointed mission to spread the gospel of wetshaving. Without his and Mantic59's efforts, these boards would be a lonelier, emptier place.

14. TJM

TJM New Member

I have had a good deal of success by using the basics like the ones in this post. I have been wet shaving for about three months now and look forward to my morning shaveevery day. I have identified a problem area though: I shave right handed, and the left side of my face tends to be a little rougher (hairs I missed) and raw (spots I hit too hard I think), even after a touch up fourth pass. I know its something in my technique, but I can't seem to nail it down. Any suggestions?

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

TBH I just practiced using my off hand, and after some time it just plain works - for both Safety and Straight razors; it will just become muscle memory. Both sides are pretty much even nowadays for me.

16. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

it's funny because with a straight I use both hands, but when using safety razors I don't. Don't know why other than I just never had a problem with a safety razor, but it just seemed natural with a straight. Justin is spot on with the muscle memory. Several times with your off hand and it won't feel so weird. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you.

17. TJM

TJM New Member

I tried switching hands yesterday and it turned out really good. I'm still a little uncoordinated but I noticed a good deal of improvement. I will keep at it and try to refine my technique.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Good to hear! Just keep at it and it will get easier and easier.

19. LGBLST2013

LGBLST2013 New Member

Really liked the post about lathering only one side. I am up in elevation here in the Stan and there is no humidity. The lather dries really fast. I will try doing only half my face at a time.

Keep up the great posts.

Thanks again.

Wishing everyone has a BBS shave.

Jeff

20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great advice! Should I use up my Merkur blades before trying a sample pack?