SouthEast Texas Meetup?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bookworm, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

TX is both the "Old South" - and not. East Texas is distinctly different from North Texas, West Texas, and South Texas (AKA Mexico). Houston is different from all of them, because of all the carpetbagging Easterners and Californians who insist on coming and whining constantly about how guns are the core of all evil, etc, etc. (I can say that. I was raised here, and my family is Canadian. (Grandfather worked for Esso Exploration, so ended up based in Houston for a while)) I'd say that the 'Old South' portion is East Texas. Some parts of it, I expect to hear banjo music. (I remember driving up that way, and all I could pick up on the radio was C&W and religion. )

I had pretty good biscuits and gravy, if my memory doesn't suck, in Atlanta. I don't remember what I had for breakfast in South Carolina, and we won't talk about Florida and Mississippi. I think I had McDonalds for breakfast the last time I stopped in Louisiana :p

Bobcat and RyX like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If the date works out, for me, I will bring many DE, SE, and Straight Razors, for sell or trade. As well as a good collection of DE blades.
    I would even welcome any Non Southerners.

Bookworm and RyX like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Obviously, I'm not entirely fluent in the Lone Star state's regional dialect, having lived in Cali all my life .....brah!

RyX likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

I was born in TX, lived most of my life here, but have lived all over the USA, as well as abroad. So, this phrase makes sense to me, even if I don't use it. I also understand Southern Kalifornia speak(the Wife), Brooklyn, New Jersey , Canuck, and Ebonics. Oh, let's not forget East Texas accent, which is never to be confused with the West Texas Accent.

cmorris357 and RyX like this.
  5. Bookworm

Right. Just confused. (Man, the ability of people to talk with marbles in their mouth...)

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Paternal grandmother was from Longview, TX. That explains my choice of biscuits & gravy over grits.
    For all y'all grits lovers - salt and pepper or sugar?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

That would be the Cajun accents. Right @RyX ??? I had ex-in-laws from Morgan City LA. Man, man that's entertaining. Just watch the the movie The Waterboy, there is a guy that sounds just like the ex's relatives. Farmer Fran(Blake Clark)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

Ketchup??

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cajun French is antiquated. While other places continued to evolve the language, it got temporally stuck here a couple hundred years ago.

As to grits I understand salt and pepper, though I'm a butter and sugar user on my rare times eating it. Being a corn based produce, hominy, I just can't see ketchup. Another cultural thing I guess. My grand kids were taught to eat scrambled with both ketchup and grape jelly. I have a weird daughter.

Bama Samurai and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Bookworm

I like sugar on my rice.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

You also eat (shudder) Tapioca?
    I can make a meal of brown rice, butter, and hot sauce.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

We're here to help.

13. Bama Samurai

Butter and salt at breakfast
    Cheese at lunch
    Cheese and or crawfish at supper

Because GAWD

14. Bama Samurai

Grape jelly is regional to N Georgia

15. Bookworm

Allergic to mudbugs.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm a mustard man now muhself....ketchup days are history.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Bookworm

Do you know.. The mustard man?

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The Beatles sing about him:

"Mean Mr. Mustard sleeps in the park, shaves in the dark tryinta save paper"

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

How do you keep your card?

20. Bookworm

I can chew a chili pepper.