Soviet Super Shavers (SSS ☭) home for fellow fans of Russian shaving products)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, May 23, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

A couple of days ago I was asking about the various organizations found on this and other Shaving forums. I told one of the guys that I had a specific interest in Russian shaving products and he agreed that would make an excellent basis for a "club".

So with out further adu I present the Soviet Super Shavers (SSS ☭).

This group shall be for the promotion and study of shave related products of Russia and the former Soviet Union (known as the FSU on the Web at large).

Everyone is welcome, so long as what you share pertains to products from that part of the shaving world.

Let the fun begin!

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Keithmax, Frijolero, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I always keep my eyes open for a soviet era razor, once i pick one up I will join. I almost pulled the trigger on a rubin, looked identical to a gillette super adjustable, but found a birth year gillette, ill probably pick one up next payday.

Frijolero and NCoxSTL like this.
  4. Joe Nobles

Cool, Rubins and Ideals are very much like a super adjustable and slim adjustable respecivly.

Frijolero, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a Rocket straight, two САЙВЕР Razors, many DE blades of various brands, and now just added the CTAPT shaving soap.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Been using Voskhod all week. Russia makes the best DE in the world.

7. Joe Nobles

Okay let's keep it coming!

The company that makes Rapira and Voskhods is called Mostochlegmash they are in Moscow and of course Gillette makes many DE blades in St. Petersburg I'll list what these two blade giants make a little later. Dzintars and SVOBODA are makers of creams, soaps and lotions. So we have tons to try and talk about.

Keithmax, Frijolero and NCoxSTL like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As the Czar of the Russian Blade Cartel (see the 30DC thread) I welcome any and all discussions of Russian/Soviet shaving stuff. As those who have been around can attest I'm pretty much a fan of Mostochlegmash, though I will concede that the St. Pete blades have their place within the cartel. And vodka. Lots and lots of vodka.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's a good razor to emulate.

Humm, more Gillette engineering? Supers & Slims - any Fat Boy or Red Tip inspired Russians?

Are those all aluminum? Bakelite? (Edit; I looked at the photos - double DE!)

Frijolero, Linuxguile and NCoxSTL like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

;)

Frijolero, Linuxguile and NCoxSTL like this.
  11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I hope you guys aren't considering becoming an SSSKGB wet shaving :p

Keithmax, Frijolero and NCoxSTL like this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Привет! I have a few Сайвер razors and if I shave in the sauna, I almost always use one of them loaded with only one blade. They are belonging to the smoothest razors I own. I feel a bit reluctant to join any club, so this post is more for information.

Besides this I have some more Russian equipment: some Восток (Vostok) and Электроника (Elektronika) watches, two Горка (Gorka) suits, Плащ-палатка (plash palatka) poncho/tent, old вещевой мешок (veshevoy meshok) aka вещмешок (veshmeshok) backpack, and some old soviet tubes in my amplifier. If I would go out for a really long walk or if some shoes are uncomfortable I am saving my feet by wearing портянки (portyanki) foot wraps.

Some of these products might interest people liking Russian gears... and if anyone got questions about them, just ask.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I use Gillette know how with Russian steel- blades that seem to do the job & we all like to use GSB, ASTRA, 7oClock Y-G-B, Gillette Nacet, Polsilver SI............

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    NCoxSTL and Frijolero like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

There are some "paired" blades between Mostochlegmash and Gillette. So if you prefer one you might like its "cousin" from the other plant.

Voskhod = GSB or Sputnik
    Ladas = Nacet
    Rapiras = 7 o'clocks - just match coatings.

cliffb599 likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I use Ladas, Astra SP's, and Polsilvers. I love Russian blades, except for Voskhod and Sputnik. As for Russian razors, I have an old Soviet DE somewhere around I think. It was about the poorest quality razor I've ever seen. I've used Tet-A-Tet shaving cream, which is a decent menthol shaving cream.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Joe Nobles

@Engblom,

I have been using FSU photo equipment for years. I have owned at various times Киев 88, Киев 4АМ, Зоркий 1,2 & 4 and fair number of ФЭД 1,2 & 5с фотоаппарат and I listing the lenses I've owned we could begin with Вага, Волна & Арсат lenses.

So let's keep it rolling!

Keithmax likes this.
  18. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Ok, here is one of my favorite straight razors. A Russian made 1954 cnaptak.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Are those scales original? Very Interesting!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Brickman301 likes this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Today I used the only Russian steel that can cut an alligator in half, the Gillette Nacet! Very sharp blade in the St. Petersburg lineup. Here is a vintage Nacet wrapper, just for fun!
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.