Splitfire cap R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chaddy187, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I got my splitfire cap for my R41. What does this suppose to do for the razor?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's suppose to make the 2013 a 2011 with the cap on.

3. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

So a little more aggressive?

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Smaller cap allows greater blade exposure— trying to replicate the 'feel' of the 2011 version of the R41, which many find harsh, by the way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The thing is the base plate on the 2011 is also significantly smaller than the current so I'm not certain how a smaller cap will play out on a larger base.
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A lot

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Thanks for all the help. I report back in couple hours when I shave with it.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I got a BBS shave with it. Going to have to shave with it a few more times to tell if its better than the original cap. Great shave I need and love these mean razors.

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I still can't believe how loud mine is.

Billyfergie and burnout961 like this.
  10. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Doesn't just using a R89 cap do the same thing?

11. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Yeah it is way louder. So can you use a R89 cap and have the samething?

12. shawnsel

shawnsel New Member

Good photos, but aren't they are more showing Cap Span rather than Blade Exposure?

13. shawnsel

shawnsel New Member

For reference, here are photo illustrations of each:

14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've never heard the term "cap span". I've always used the term "blade exposure " to indicate how much blade is visible sticking out from under the cap as you look straight down from the top. When talking about the distance from the blade edge to the top of the bottom plate I call that "blade gap".

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Same here Sir....Two razors can have an identical blade gap but one can be more aggressive than the other because it has more blade exposure on the Horizontal Plain because the comb is sitting further back...Some razors like the PAL Adjustable have a tiny blade gap on the Vertical Plain but have a lot of blade exposure on the Horizontal Plain...That smaller cap above is going to allow more blade exposure on the Horizontal Plain ...;)
    Billy...:chores016:

16. shawnsel

shawnsel New Member

Cap Span is a less used term, but as Gillette is likely considered authoritative, you can find "Cap Span" on page 3 of this vintage (1957-59) "New Salesmen's Manual" from Gillette.
    (note: I don't believe this is the original source of these scans, but somebody else combined some uploads into one easily accessible imgur link)
    https://imgur.com/a/s0S06#f8G7U13

If a top cap is decreased in depth, then the Cap Span will increase (the amount of blade that can be seen when looking straight down from the top). Shrinking the depth of the top cap might also increase Blade Exposure ... but not if the top cap were also increased in height/thickness. Blade Exposure is the part sticking out past the plane as drawn between safety guard and top cap. Blade Exposure is usually very small. Even microscopic differences can make a difference ... I believe even 0.1mm of Blade Exposure makes for a moderately aggressive razor. I believe ~0.2mm of Blade Exposure is around Muhle R41 territory. Differences such as these aren't really discernible from typical razor photos....

For clarification of the various measures, I made these photo illustrations based on definitions shared from commonly-accepted wiki pages and from a vintage (1957-59) Gillette Sales Manual.
    (note: These images are not associated with any forum, and I license them as public domain, "No rights reserved" Creative Commons CC0 license.)
    • Blade Exposure (Primary measure of a razor's aggressiveness. Even microscopic differences can make a difference ... I believe even 0.1mm makes for a moderately aggressive razor)
    • Blade Gap (While this is easier to measure, I believe it is mostly relevant towards its influence on Guard Span.)
    • Guard Span (Not as easy to measure as Blade Gap, but probably more relevant towards influencing a razor's pressure sensitivity.)
    • Cap Span (Probably only relevant in reducing blade chatter (bending/vibration). Sometimes confused with Blade Exposure.)

Do these help to clarify?

Cheers,
    Shawn

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    dominpe and Billyfergie like this.
  17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Truthfully I don't have an engineering or mathematical bent. I've gotten great shaves from all sorts of razors. Some aggressive, some mild, so the actual measurements mean little to me. In my world, if a razor looks sexy, or unusual, I'll try it. If I like it, it goes in the rack. If I don't like it, it gets sold or PIF'd.

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Ok from what I've been reading you should be able to get a good shave with any razor you pick up. Technique they say. I don't thank for one min that a micro touch one will give a shave that a R41 will. Somebody tell me if I'm right or wrong?

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

IMO your correct depending on what you mean by the same shave. A R41, a Micro Touch or a Gillette tech will all shave differently even on the same face. Are all these razors capable of delivering an irritation free shave? YES Are all capable of giving you a BBS? Absolutely. Technique is the factor IMO that most determines how a razor will shave your face.:happy088:

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Ok can somebody give me the definition of "technique" in wet shaving? Please.