Spotted this in the wild today -- Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shotwell, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Pretty much minty condition or close to it. Included instructions, beautiful case. The blade still had the inscription visible. It was on sale for $20. Think I may go back tomorrow to get it. They also had a Krona for $3 I will probably pick up. And an OCMM for $19 which I will *not* be buying. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412718956.715094.jpg

macaronus, 178-bplatoon and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's pretty good. I have a Rolls that is not nearly in that good of shape. Mine is well used, but the blade is from 1947, my birth year. So, it sits in my display.
    upload_2014-10-7_18-14-50.png

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

$20? It's a steal you will never regret. I gave almost $40 for an identical set a few years ago...don't use it as often as I should, but it was $ well spent. Just be sure to pop it open to make sure the hone and strop are good (but even then, they can be replaced fairly easily). And the $3 Krona is another you will never regret buying. Snag 'em!

178-bplatoon and Shotwell like this.
  4. Shotwell

Spotted this too. Would love to have it... But not at $475. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412724126.270181.jpg

5. tave

tave Member

Beautiful piece of shaving gear. Have fun shaving with it. I acquired one from etsy a few months ago for twice as much. You got a good deal. Haven't shaved with mine yet. If you shave with yours, let us know how it was.

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I actually attempted to shave with mine. I couldn't get a good enough edge on it.

7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Rolls need to be professionally sharpened before they are used for the first time. It is worth the investment as I wouldn't want a quetionably honed blade on my face. That model

That model is an imperial 2 with the round buttons. If you see one thinner with rectangular buttons and a single decorative row on the lid it would be a Viscount.

A quick reference: http://www.shaveworld.org/home/images/RollsPage3.html

And another: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-what-is-and-how-to-thread-for-the-rolls-razor.22371/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It looks like the stone is broken. That's not an uncommon issue with these. I'd pass it up. I've got two Ive found with good stones for $20 and $15.

9. Shotwell

What stone? My OP only had the exterior showing inside the blue case. I didn't post a pic with a stone showing in it.

10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Sorry, I confused myself by looking at the pic Jayaruh posted, His has it opened up and the hone in the front has a crack running across it.

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Excellent investment! Enjoy it!

Shotwell likes this.