Sta-sharp

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Paul76, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

My sta-sharp made it here fast, little bit of cleanup and hone. Then time to give it a test run! Sotd coming soon. IMG_0815.JPG

AGHisBBS and BigMark83 like this.
  2. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

the one thing that I noticed bad was the scratches on the edge, is there a way to get those out without sacrificing the etching? Thanks for the help and looking

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice razor. @DaltonGang should be able to offer some suggestions.

Paul76 likes this.
  4. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Jim99 he does do some nice work. It looks like hone scratches from way too much pressure.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Try cleaning the blade only, with rubbing alcohol, to get all grease off. Then steal some of your wife's, colored fingernail polish and coat the areas you want to avoid. When dry, sand with 220-320 wet/dry, under dripping water, and just be very careful around the painted areas. Very very time consuming. After the scratches are out, use 600-1500 progression on wet/dry sandpaper, over the entire blade. Use oil to coat it, it will be less aggressive with oil. Then, when done, use non acetone nail polish remover, to remove the paint left in the etching.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For a higher shine, use metal polish, after all sanding is over.

RyX and Paul76 like this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Cool that should work great. Thanks @DaltonGang for the advice. I'll post some pics after I'm done.

RyX likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Just so I'm clear, is the fingernail polish to fill in where the letters are and that way any sanding in those areas will sand the nail polish and not the letters?

9. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Covering the letters and around them with the nail polish should keep them from being sanded off. That etch is not deep at all, that's the bad part about etchings on sta-sharps and craftsman razors. It doesn't take long to sand it away just a few ribs with the paper and it's gone.

Jim99 likes this.