Stabilizing Wood in a Homemade Vacuum Chamber

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gssixgun, Jun 2, 2012.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I am putting this in the general forum becasue anyone that works with wood can help out here..

I built a Vacuum chamber to stablize wood straight razor scales, the blanks are 1.5 x 6 x 1/8 approx. everything is working and I have held a 25-27 in/Hg vacuum for a steady 12 hours now..

My first two batches were done with Daly's and I have used Minwax Wood hardener in the past..

My question is what other products should I try, in the chamber????

Thanks in advance

old okie likes this.
  2. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Glen, I've never heard doing this before, am I right in guessing the vacuum chamber removes moisture and allows the hardener to super saturate the wood?

3. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Jar = Valsic 1 1/2 quart $3.42 with Pickels
    Daly's = $16 per Qt x 2
    Fittings & Washers = $8.69
    Silicon Sealer = $4.49
    Pump Kit $24.99

Feeling of success when it worked, and didn't implode like so many people warned about = Priceless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tricks I have learned already,
    Slowly bring the pressure down about 5 in/hg at a time let the foam up occur and then bring it down again
    After 1 hr release the pressure, and then let the wood sink lower, and drop the pressure again
    I have it holding at 25 in/hg and it has held there today for over 4 hours so far
    Do NOT let the sealer touch the fitting inside the jar it will wreck your pump if it gets sucked in
    You can create a double "Boiler" type set up and keep things really safe if you can get the right size glassware ie: a smaller jar of finish inside a larger jar that holds the Vacuum

The first batch of Burls

[​IMG]

So far the hardest parts were finding the right jar
    Finding and adapting the fittings
    and Resisting the urge to keep testing the wood every couple of hours to see how it is drying [​IMG]

BTW This is NOT my idea, I just simply adapted it specifically for my usage

Ok holding at 27 in/Hg for 12 hours now I just put the Brake Fulid Reservoir that came with the kit, in line between the Vacuum chamber and the pump, so that should solve the problem of an accident with the foam up possibly getting to the Pump... [​IMG]

I bought the one at Harbor Freight here

Brake Bleeder & Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Kit

I priced them locally at the Auto parts Houses and the cheapest was $49 and they went up to $99 so I figured I would at least try the HF one and see what happened, heck I could buy 2-4 of them for the same price as the others and every one on them looked the same except for the packaging, and all were made in China anyway...

Enrico, dscaver, sol92258 and 6 others like this.
  4. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    It removes the air from the wood and by doing so draws in the finish, It works and it works well but I want a more substantial set up with the finish...
    I am really wondering what the limitations are, I am thinking perhaps a Polyurethane, as that should set up very hard and soild

5. Woodshavings

Woodshavings Member

I don't have any first hand experience to offer you but I know that some people are using various casting resins to stabilize wood that would be otherwise unusable and some of the results they are getting are spectacular. I think that it started with some of the pen turners but I have seen it used for bowls and goblets as well. One name that I have heard for a casting resin is aluminite but I believe that there are others around as well. If you do a search for a guy by the name of Dave Bell he seems to be doing a lot of this kind of stuff.

gssixgun and sol92258 like this.
  6. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Thanks Glen, Neat idea and good luck with the finishes. I can understand why you were warned about implosion, I would have been concerned too. Of course building a plexiglass safety shield ala Mythbusters wouldn't be a bad idea either:happy097:

7. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

This is really neat.

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very interesting, Glen. Thanks for sharing.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Wow that is quite the setup you have there.

10. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

11. Jon Kennedy

Jon Kennedy New Member

If i can help any of you out with youre stabilizing questions feel free to ask!! I have stabilizing chambers of all sizes up to 8' long and also two types off stabilizing resin that i can help you out with.:)

Jon

alpla444 likes this.
  12. bridger

bridger Member

im interested to know what kind of resin you use.

13. bridger

bridger Member

do you build your own vacuum chambers?

14. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

15. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

16. Stephen Harrell

Stephen Harrell New Member

You should try Cactus Juice from Turntex. It is what 90% of the pen turners and call makers use. It is a heat cured resin so it must be baked at 200° for about an hour after saturating in but you can feel the weight difference in your blanks and it practically turns the whole blank into resin without losing the figure of the wood. And you can call the owner himself (Curtis Seebeck) with any questions you might have. We all have little toaster ovens in our shops to cure our blanks. Just wrap them in foil (don't forget that part) and bake away. You will be glad you did.

17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I know this is way off thread, so I will ask a little tolerance.

Vacuum is my favorite way of introducing marinates into meat. The same physics at work here work with meat and marinate. 5 Minutes for a fully marinated steak.

18. Silversides Shoppe

Silversides Shoppe New Member

Mark, that's genius! Do little bubbles come out of the meat like with the wood?

19. Silversides Shoppe

Silversides Shoppe New Member

Thanks for sharing this! I whipped one together and am testing it right now with a mixture of acetone, minwax stain, teak oil, and linseed oil. I have no idea how it's going to turn out. Let the experimentation begin...

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Yup. It is a weird type of bubbling, though, because as the air comes out the marinate goes in. Wow! old thread.