Stainless steel Ardent?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cool Breeze, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

While cruising the bay I saw several stainless steel Ardent razors. $35.00 brand new, they also have a stainless & black plastic model for I believe $12.00. They look like Gillette copys but with long handles (which I love) who knows what?

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. I just checked the ad out on eBay and it looks a little sketchy to me. 2 pics look like a 40's SS. 1 Pic looks like a Feather Popular with a new handle or something like that? I'm not sure what to make of it. Also found one on Amazon with a pic of a 3-piece and description saying it's a TTO. I think I'll keep my money for now :)

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I believe they are cheap copys, but stainless?
    Had to ask

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just went looking for these Ardent safety razors on ebay and amazon....They claim to be "brass framed" what ever that means..On ebay I found the country of manufacture is Pakistan....Enough said definately a waste of money......:)

5. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

Well I purchased this razor

http://m.ebay.com/itm/321335958432?&txnId=1272055365011

It was to have an asymmetrical (open/closed) stainless steel head.and a stainless steel handle with diamond knurls.

It showed up with a closed head that appears to be chromed. The handle too, seams chromed and no knurling but nice engraved lines the length of the handle.
    After 4 emails from me and 4 broken english responses they claim to be sending the correct razor, we'll see.

Short of whacking thing with a hammer, is there an easy way to tell what this razor is made of?

6. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Have you shaved with it yet? Is it very aggressive?

Hthomas likes this.
  7. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Thanks for the link! It is impossible to tell from a picture for sure, but I am convinced that the razor head pictured is cast metal, not machined (I buy a LOT of machined parts in my day job and know what they look like!).

Short of a hammer, material will be a little difficult to determine... unless you are willing to sacrifice a small scratch. You could take a needle file and try to peek through the finish and see what lies below. A magnet is useless on brass and some stainless steel is non-magnetic, too.

I can summon some empathy for people who do not speak perfect English but still want to sell in American markets. I also pause over anything that might smell like a ripoff. In the end, you sort of look at the total cost and roll your dice, don't you?

Well, since you were adventurous enough to try it out, please let us know how it shaves!

8. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

PayPal makes the dice roll a little easier. Lol
    In my opinion this razor is Not carved out of a single piece of stainless steel. .[​IMG][​IMG]

My first shave with this ARD razor and the free Dorco blades was great! It gives a close yet gentle shave. There is a lot more blade exposure than I'm used to and my daily shaver is a Muhle R41.
    Shave two: the blade was tugging a little so I put in a Red Personna. Two passes and a little clean up. The shave was little more exfoliating than the Dorco. Still no nicks or rash. It's hard to tell must after two shaves, but so far so good.
    You have to pay attention when you load the blade. It is possible to just slightly cock or misalign the blade. Not really a problem after you load it a few times.

Adonis likes this.
  9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    EXCELLENT! Thanks for being the first to test the waters. I really appreciate this kind of info.

(Also... I've decided that aligning the blade is not that big of a deal. Sure, high dollar razors align the blade for you, but there are some real shaving deals — with great shaves! — for those who can develop the habit of simply checking alignment as they put in a new blade. )

I'm glad your dice roll paid off. Good on yer!

Hthomas likes this.
  10. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

It's really nice chrome and a wonderful razor, but I'm looking for an inexpensive stainless steel razor. Any ideas?

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Weber is the cheapest available but they're great shavers and a very good value.

Hthomas likes this.
  12. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

I agree, but somebody else in some third world country must make a stainless razor.

I'm told that another Ardent razor is being sent to me. If it arrives I'll let you know.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

God luck. I know the desription says one side of the head is OC and the other is safety bar, but the pics they have show the exact razor you posted. I never have good luck with that combo on Ebay. It seem 9 times out of 10 regardless of the description, whatever there's a pic of is what they're selling.

Hthomas likes this.
  14. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

I have no idea what eBay would do. In my experience most sellers that I deal with are very reasonable and understanding people.
    in spite of the deceptions, I'm please with the razor. It feels good. It just little longer than my Muhle Grande and about 1/3oz less in weight.. It shaves closer the my R89.
    This seller seems interested in trying to please . I hope I can convince him to correct the discription, but it's difficult to communicate with them.

15. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

Ok the seller is a jerk in my opinion. Although he has auctions for 3-4 different razors, he says this is the only razor he sends out.
    He says it's stainless steel. It looks like poor quality brass under that chrome plate.

So do I pay to return it or keep it. I kinda like the blade exposure ...what to do...

Adonis likes this.
  16. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Well regardless of the circumstances, if you like it, and feel its worth what you paid... I say keep it! :)

Hthomas likes this.
  17. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

Well I decided if keep it and ask them to change the description to describe the razor they are in fact selling. THEY TOLD ME , "WE HAVE ONLY ONE RAZOR-this one" in spite of the fact that they have four different razors listed on eBay

These Pakistanis appear to want to take advantage of EBay buyers. They have had weeks to change their description but nothing.... Well I feel like is my responsibility to open a case.

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I would definitely file something against them with Ebay. Others probably have, and others probably will, and when they get enough they'll do something about it. I'd send ebay and paypal everything they sent you saying they only send out one razor.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You get what you pay for. A stainless steel razor for $13.99. Right! What the heck is SILIVER?

20. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

It's actually it's not a bad razor. If they would be honest about it, I would be a supporter .
    I went into this know it was a gamble. This could work out good or just ok...Not being Stainless Steel is only one issue. The Head description is why I took the chance on this razor .
    In the grand scheme of things a minor bump.