Stainless steel blades. Worth the extra $

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Admiral Beez, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

In before the edit. You win! :p

swarden43 likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Steve said it first....BUY a blade sampler FIRST!!! Try as many different blades as you can and then try them again...Don't be in a rush to buy in bulk, there always seems to be a better blade...:) My first bulk order was for BlueBirds(100),followed by Astra SP's(300), then Voskhods(50) and the last bulk order was for PolSilver Super Iridiums(200)..In retrospect it's better to have a few of many types, than a bunch of only one type "UNTIL you KNOW" for sure it's the one for you...:) FYI I like all of these blades,but find the SI's work the best for me and of course are the most expensive....:happy097:

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I tried a small sample pack & after trying 4-5 varieties, finally settled on "...ONE blade to rule them all..."
    I've enough choices to make with regards to soaps, creams, brushes, pre & post lotions, razors, scents, etc.—so I figured I'd stick with just one blade that agreed with my face.
    Bulk order of 100 Astra SPs. I do still have a pack I've yet to try....the Feathers. :eek:

4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

There is no such thing. :)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Skoffs the unbeliever :)

ohpaos likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

heathen!

ohpaos likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Made me think of this...

8. richgem

double like.

ShaverX clearly weighs the same as a duck.

9. Shaver X

Heathen? Hardly. I bring you glad tidings and good news.

From some cursory Google searches:

"razor blade sampler"
    About 126,000 results

"Merkur 34C"
    About 60,100 results

"Edwin Jagger DE89"
    About 252,000 results

"Astra Platinum" "price"
    About 45,800 results

Not all of those results are online stores selling product, but many are. There were dozens of stores selling traditional wetshaving products in the recent past. There seem to be hundreds now. The Shavepocalypse will happen when hell freezes over. Or when an asteroid strikes the Earth, in which case we will be living in caves and sporting beards.

Alright, time to bow down before a bottle of Old Spice! ;)

PanChango likes this.
  10. Shaver X

I wish!

11. richgem

A very large duck. :p

12. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Please, we do not need facts & logic to confuse things. It's really quite simple-- A ginormous duck was sighted in Hong Kong Harbor. Therefore, Shavemageddon approaches. :D

[​IMG]

Slipperyjoe, jeraldgordon and richgem like this.
  13. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Thanks all. I didn't know that sampler blade sets were available. I'll definitely look into this before buying 100ct bulk.

The reason I was looking at this particular vendor is that I want a stand with bowl and brush holder for under $30, and this is the only one I could find, http://shavetools.com/chrome-plated-razor-and-brush-stand-with-bowl.html . So, my plan was to buy the stand and then also the 100ct Astra blades, thus amortizing the shipping cost over a larger purchase.

I'm considering the Astra blade as I thought this was the factory that made my Rexall generic blade 5pks. I will likely buy a sampler from the above firm, so that I can share the shipping cost on the stand. Unless someone knows a good stand for sale (bowl, bush holder and razor holder in one).

14. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Thanks all. I've just bought the following from http://shavetools.com/

Cyril Salter Pure Badger Brush
    $15.99​
    $15.99​
    1 Blade Sampler Pack (8 brands, 50 Total Blades)
    $14.99​
    $14.99​
    1 Chrome Plated Razor and Brush Stand With Bowl

ohpaos and swarden43 like this.