Stainless Steel Razor Advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weishi Warrior, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

For those here who have used stainless steel razors, which razor or and/or combination of top caps and base plates shaves most like the Edwin Jagger DE8_ Series?

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use my Weber 3Pc. With Classic Handle. Or I use and ATT Kronos M-1 set up.
    On my TTO razors I use a 1967 Gillette or a 1951 Gillette I always use Wilkinson Sword Blades.

wristwatchb and Troy M like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use Wilkerson DE SS Blades. I use any of the three razors I have listed below. I like my Weber best of all of them.
    1967 M-3 Gillette Knack TTO/DE
    {issued to me in Boot Camp} *
    Weber 3pc. S/S Polished Head 85mm Classic Handle *
    {This is my Preferred Razor & Favorite}
    1951 Gillette W-2 Super Speed DE/ TTO {Birth Year Razor} *

I would say that a Weber is the closest to the razor you are asking about, but being as I do not own one I can not say for sure.

wristwatchb and Troy M like this.
  4. Weishi Warrior

Thank you for your input!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'd agree Weber's probably the closest to the feel of an EJ but sadly Weber's not making heads right now. An ATT M1 or M2 is in the ballpark though. I prefer the M2 just because the gap is so small on the M1 that it sometimes grabs my whiskers between the blade and baseplate. So I'd recommend an M2. Keep in mind Stan at ATT does give a free exchange (and maybe even money back - can't remember) within 30 days if you try it and think you might like something else better.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Having shaved with the M1, M2 and R1, I would agree in your assessment of the M2 being a great choice. And the 30 day guaranty is fantastic.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  7. Weishi Warrior

Great input!

8. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I have both the Weber and the DE89 but I think the Weber is more aggressive than the DE89. I havent tried the ATT M1 but I would probably say that one is closer to the DE89 in terms of shave! This is based on what a friend has told me! So YMMV as usual!

I also have an iKon Standard head (not DLC) and think that one is probably closer to the DE89.

PatrickA51 and Troy M like this.
  9. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

I would say the M1 is closer to the EJ89, although I'd actually go for the S1 over both. The S1 is in the similarly mild camp but produced a more comfortable and efficient shave.

To me the Weber feels exactly like the Merkur 30C.

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Weight aside, I'd say I'd have a hard time telling my R89 (counterpart to the DE8*) from my Weber 3pc.

Hi Brian

Do you know why? I just glanced at their shop, and it looks like a shop that's closing. I hope it's not the case.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  11. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

That is interesting as I would have thought the R89 (Muhle) would have been less aggressive just like the DE89! I have the R89 head so I will have to compare it sometime soon!

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have no idea why.

13. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

If you're considering ATT, go with the S1. The M1 is milder than the EJ. The S1 is much more efficient (like an R1, which would be more efficient than the EJ), but very smooth. I've had my S1 since December and it has replaced all my other razors as my daily driver.

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and PatrickA51 like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

By all means, don't take my observation as the holy truth :)

15. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

I have a question for the Warrior, do you not have the EJ DE89 or are you wanting something a little more aggressive, because I'm looking to do the same, really interested in the att but the price difference is WoW or maybe I just need to find the perfect blade,, I'll follow to see what you find out.

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For some reason I seem to be following in your footsteps. I can see how my newly acquired S1 will replace all of my razors.

VedderLG likes this.
  17. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

If I may ask what was the final cost of the S1 and is the razor really audible like they say?

18. Weishi Warrior

I have the 89 and get consistently good shaves from it. I think I am interested the stainless for its durability and lifespan.

RaZorBurn: Can you relate your experiences with the S1?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Weber Polished Head w Classic handle (my go to razor) is more aggressive than my EJ DE89 or Merkur 34-38c. Not sure if they are making the Weber heads anymore. From what I have researched RazoRock Mission @ Italian barber has a fairly good razor for a low price and is a bit more aggressive than the EJ 89,
    Hopefully for next Christmas I can get the ATT Kronos H1

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have been fortunate enough to have a great friend that has loaned me various ATT heads and base plates to try. From owning both a EJ 89 and Merkur 34c, the M1 head is milder and less efficient than either of these razors while the R2 is more aggressive. From the non slant versions the M2 most closely approximates the EJ89 and Merkur 34c in terms of mildness but is more efficient. I have loan of the S1 and S2 for the next couple of weeks. Just 2 days in, I can say that were I buying today, I would pick the S1 over the M1 or R1. It's very mild but really efficient. Looking forward to trying out the S2 next week and will be better able to offer a comparison at that time. I can say without a doubt that the ATT razors are very well made. As with all things, YMMV.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.