"Standard Razor"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JRod22, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Really nice looking razor JRod22...The price is somewhat of a bummer at $70, as is the lack easy of handle changability, I really prefer knurling on my handles...Do you know what size the threads are JRod? If they are 10/32 changing handles may not be any harder than with some SE shave heads...;)

JRod22 likes this.
  2. ArNav

ArNav Member

It's not EJ head.
    Shaves pretty good. Mild but effective.
    The only issue I have with mine is that the thread detaches from both the handle and the head! Anyone else has that?
    I asked them about it and they said "the detachable thread is part of the design". Weird...

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking razor.

4. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Whoa! That's great! It means you actually can use the head on any handle (with same thread pitch, of course!). Maybe a little LocTite on the threads to keep 'em where you want 'em, eh?

178-bplatoon and JRod22 like this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Not sure the size. Is there any easy way for me to figure it out?

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

email the company and ask them...they should be able to tell you..:)

From what ArNav is saying it sounds like the handle and shave head are attached with some kind of set screw arrangement, which will make changing handles much easier if the thread pitch is 10/32..:)

7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

It is a nice looking razor. Has some 'different' lines to it that makes the design unique.

8. ArNav

ArNav Member

9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Heh-heh... I was about to ask a question, but flashed on an image from childhood (whether it really happened or not doesn't matter!). I see a bunch of kids on the high dive, all wanting to jump into the water to be like the brave kids who went first.

"Did it hurt?"
    "No."
    "Were you scared?"
    "A little... at first... but not now!" OR "Nah! I never get scared!"
    "Should I do it?"
    "Sure! C'mon in. It's great!" AND "Anyone who doesn't jump is a chicken!"

<sigh>

OK, my own chickenness acknowledged... Can you early adopters recommend this over your experience with the razors mentioned to date (Muhle, EJ, and Merkur)? I mean... if I am about to add to my collection and "The Standard" is pretty much on par with the other three, then I guess I just let price decide... until I can buy all four!

Yeah... I'mma jumpin' in... just gimme a sec...
    Mr. Big Splash

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    JRod22 likes this.
  10. ArNav

ArNav Member

Well, I shaved with it a couple more times and now I can see the picture more fully.
    This razor is mighty weird/unique. Why? Well, few reasons. The first is that it's aluminum, and it glides over your skin better than DLC cover. That's a plus. Another thing is that it feels milder than an EJ DE89, yet it is much more efficient. Yet another thing is that during the shave you kinda have this weird mixed feeling of smoothness together with some sort of weird sensation of shaving with a DE blade without a razor, like you can feel it's mighty sharp and dangerous and can cut you any second. And yet another, also weird, and which leaves my trusty R89 as my go-to razor, is that after the shave I have a sensation of a major razor-burn, which doesn't pass for hours, although without any external sign. This is one mighty strange razor, IMO.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Interesting looking razor. At that price, I think I will pass.

12. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I've only had good experiences with it. No biting or burning. Very smooth and efficient. Think I like it better than my Merkur 34c, but I'll have to get back to you on that after a side by side analysis.

WetShaveObsession likes this.
  13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Bumping this - JRod, did you ever do that side by side analysis? Any further thoughts now after using the razor for a few months? Inquiring minds want to know!

14. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Haha. I got rid of my Merkur, wasn't as smooth of a shaver IMO when compared to the Standard. Still consistently getting good shaves out of the Standard. Getting equally as good of shaves out of my shavecraft 101 and my Tradere open comb. These 3 razors deliver quality comfortable shave every time. I'd still recommend it for someone looking for a quality closed bar razor.

15. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

I used mine for the very first time today. It is a mild razor. It handles a lot like a fat handled tech. Even feels like one as far as the shave but slightly more effective. The handle is Longer and Fatter than I thought it would be which it turns out is a good thing. It performs well. It is milder than a DE89 as was stated. Very lightweight, very maneuverable. All in all it is a very good performing razor. Is it $70 good. Eh I paid like $60 with the free shipping and discount code and I do not feel gypped in any way.
    Actually it feels a lot like the closed comb side of the Shavecraft 101. I noticed this about it, the base plate where it touches the skin before the blade cuts the whisker is sharper or comes to a sharper point. This seems to do something for the effectiveness of the razor.
    After my first pass I was like: Eh pretty good, handles well, After the second pass I was more impressed. After the third and final AG pass I was very impressed. The final result was a very impressive, smooth, comfortable and what felt like an easy shave..

maltedmilk and JRod22 like this.
  16. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Nice review!

WetShaveObsession likes this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Those are pretty sharp looking. Pun intended. For the price, I think I'll enjoy looking at the pics and hearing the stories.

18. jeraldgordon

Hmmm, just not sure... An EJ is too mild for me to get an effective shave. Sounds like this wouldn't work for me. That's a disappointment because the black one looks amazing!

19. ArNav

ArNav Member

I think that this razor is more aggressive and much more effective than EJ.

20. jeraldgordon

What would you compare it to?