Step-by-step Ever-Ready brush restoration

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mercV12, Aug 16, 2008.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Do you repaint the lettering on the handles?? If so, what do you use??

2. mercV12

mercV12 Member

No. that's the only thing I regret about my process. I have no way to save the white lettering during the polishing phase.

3. mercV12

mercV12 Member

Let me further inspire you; check out these threads:

Rubberset Brush project

Ever-Ready Brush project

Now go Crazy!!!!!!
    :shocked003

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I plan on doing this after I move at the end of the month. I have an old plastic NOS ever-ready boar brush. I figure I can fit a 20mm silvertip knot in there or file it out till it does fit. I'll probably use some JB weld to epoxy the knot in.

5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

What a great thread; thank you!

6. mercV12

mercV12 Member

you're welcome, Irena.

7. APC

APC Member

My first brush, VDH boar, is shedding hairs in clumps with glue/epoxy from the center. I have been toying with the idea of restoring it with a badger knot. Would you happen to know what size knot a VDH handle takes?

8. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Thanks for the pictorial.
    It has inspired me to pick up a couple of old brushes and give this process a try.
    I have a little Klenzo that just came in today and I'll be picking up an Ever Ready (of similar model to the one you re-knotted) if I manage to win that auction.
    The Klenzo is going to be a little dicey with the drilling out part... it's so small, I hope I don't break it. :eek:

9. mercV12

mercV12 Member

I don't know what sizze it takes, but once you get the old bristles extracted, simply measure across the hole in milimeters.

10. kevtex

kevtex Member

Thanks for starting this post,it motivated me to replace a boar hair brush handle with a silvertip and it's my favorite brush.

Attached Files:

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Besides the bristles, I love the handle!

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

WOW... That is a sweet brush. What brand is it? I must find a handle like that.

13. kevtex

kevtex Member

It was a boar and badger hair mix brush that came from C&E. I bought it from another member here on the forum. I saw one for sell a few weeks ago on the BST forum.

14. Adeptus_Minor

Ok, here's what I'm starting with (stole the roomie's camera for a couple of pics)

[​IMG]

The Klenzo is about ready for the new knot.
    [​IMG]

15. mercV12

mercV12 Member

Nice job Skkid!

Adeptus those two handles are going to make very nice brushes.

16. Master Mason

Master Mason New Member

I just got an old everready brush to give this a try with, where do you buy the flitz?

17. Adeptus_Minor

That's a good question.
    While I admit that I haven't looked *that* hard, I've yet to see Flitz or Maas anywhere locally.

18. Spk282

Spk282 New Member

Looks great

19. DV8_JERM

DV8_JERM New Member

That was cool of you to do the step by step reknoting.Mayby more vintage brushes will be saved now. I prefer the vintage brush handles they look and feel different than the brushes of today.Had alot more styles,shapes and colors to choose from.Great Job:happy096:signs097

20. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

YEP!

Thank you for sharing the excitement and your knowledge

Tom