Stepping up from my start up razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by virprobus, Jul 29, 2014.

1. virprobus

virprobus New Member

So I have been shaving with a safety razor for 3-4 months now and really am enjoying it. My first razor was a Lord L6. I have enjoyed this razor, and think it was a great starter razor but now that I know I want to commit to wet shaving I would like a nicer, more aggressive razor. I am looking for suggestions for a cost efficient step up.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would recommend a good DE Razor. I own a Weber 3pc. 85mm. W/Classic Handle. It's handle is 37/8inches in length. They cost about $75.00 depending on shipping in the CONUS. http://www.weberrazor.com/
    The Weber Razor is made in Missouri.
    Or you can Buy an Above the Tie Razor for a little more than twice the price. The ATT Razor is made in Tennessee. http://www.abovethetie.com/?store

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Vintage: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Modern: Merkur 37c
    Both are a step-up in aggressiveness from the Lord, yet neither will break the bank (approx $50 on the upper end)
    You'll see them come up for sale in forum classifieds or online auctions, The 37c can ,of course, be purchased new.

Bristle Me and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, and it comes down to a lot of factors. How thick is your hair, how sensitive is your skin, how much do you want to spend, do you think this will be your last razor or just your next razor?

For what it's worth, I have coarse hair and moderately sensitive skin, and had a budget of 50 so I went with a 37c slant. I'm also already looking for my next razor. I want to try an open comb.

If you're an average guy who wants a good quality daily driver at a reasonable price, I've read you can't go wrong with an EJ DE89L.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Vintage: Gillette Super Speed (any color - they are all good)

Modern:
    Merkur: 1904 Classic (I prefer the open comb, but the solid safety bar is good too)
    Edwin Jagger: DE89
    Muhle: R89

Of these the Merkur can often be found for less than $30.00
    The EJ runs $35.00 to $45.00
    The Muhle is most always in the neighborhood of $55.00 to $65.00

These are all very good quality razors and will deliver regular BBS shaves as long as your technique is up to it.

By the way, :signs046: to The Shave Den!

6. virprobus

virprobus New Member

Can anyone explain the advantages of 1. an open comb, and 2. a "slant"

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

1. Efficiency
    2. Efficiency

Both take a little more practice to wield without cutting yourself, but I think 1 to 2 months is plenty of practice. They both have the ability to cut closer, so they can mow down a little more hair in a single pass (with the same light to no pressure technique). I switched to the 37c after 6 weeks and it's taken a whole pass out of my routine. Because of that, they can really cut down on irritation if used properly.

The slant really differs by the twist in the blade that introduces a slant with respect to the direction of the pass (think guillotine). The example I like the most is cutting a carrot. You don't press straight down on the blade. You slice, which introduces a scything motion to the blade.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    GDCarrington likes this.