Still in a Jam :(

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Apr 2, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

My Super Adjustable, with which I was so happy, and whose silo-doors stopped opening the day I received it in a trade, is still locked up.

It was working beautifully for some time - I was changing blades, dialing up and down and having a ball with - no problems whatever.

Finally after loading it with a Keramik and completing my first shave with it, I noticed the TTO mechanism was jammed.

So far I've left it in dishwashing liquid mixed with water over the course of a night, submerging it in mineral oil the next, and still no luck.
    Any other suggestions?

I badly want this phenomenal razor operating flawlessly again :(:(:(

All help will be appreciated immensely!!

PS - Attached is a pic of it. It's been suggested I try boiling it. Given its appearance is this the type of razor which can withstand such a thing without comprising the appearance of the handle?

Attached Files:

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

try throwing it in a pot of boiling water. Some have told me that is the best thing for this problem.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look to be a model with plastic parts. However, what is the date code?

I am surprised Guido hasn't chimed in on these threads.

4. boyextraordinare

I'm willing to hold off doing anything that'll potentially damage the razor...

!

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm pretty sure the black is laquer or something of the sort. I dont *think* it is plastic.

6. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I have boiled that exact model without issue. BUT, I wouldn't advise doing so for more than a minute or two at a time.

Best of luck.

J

7. boyextraordinare

It's not damaged - it's jammed. And it'll be unjammed soon enough.

And yes there are others, but I just got this and don't intend to discard it so readily.

8. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Hopefully he can fix it.

9. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

SO the tto won't turn? I have had that before. Soaking didn't do anything for that. I wrapped a towel around it and turned hard and it final opened. The towel gave me so much more grip to turn it.

10. Austin

Austin Member

Soak it overnight in dish soap. Good luck.

11. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Blow torch, vise, and big pliers. Have a big hammer on hand just in case.

12. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

if you get to this point:
    dish soap
    two thick towels
    optional: two pair of pliers

liberally soak the joint between TTO knob and handle, turning back and forth on the knob repeatedly, using towels, and if necessary, pliers. patience and diligence, along with lots of careful attention, should get things spinning again. I had a similar problem with mine, and this was what I did to get it going again, did this for about 10 minutes.
    Just be sure there's not a jam with the adjuster knob/spring/doors/etc., and the problem is definitely at the TTO

13. Will

Will Nevermind

+2 on what I said a few days ago.

BOIL THE THING!

If it ruins it (I don't think it will) you can always buy another.

14. boyextraordinare

Mottern, I hear you and I know you know more than I about razors, but why boil??? What does it do? I'll do it as a last resort!

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I'll def. try the towel, already tried manipulating with pliers and so on.

How the hell did this razor finally jam the day I got it? It was working fine for hours; I was dialing up and now while it was closed - no prob.

Then after my shave: locked up :sick007

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

but did you do so WITH the dish soap on joint betwixt the knob and handle? keeping plenty there to work up into the mechanism, that was the key with mine

as to why?
    why is grass green? water wet? who knows....perhaps some gunk inside the handle was loosened and fell in just the right place

16. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

You're not supposed to dial down while the doors are tightened down (unless I misunderstand the mechanism). Have you tried dialing it up to 10, then trying the TTO again?

Regards.

J

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Simple really, if their is gook in it the boiling will loosen it up. Not to mention clean and sanitize. After that rub with a cloth when cool and watch her shine (not as good as MAAS polish but good enough).

As for the finish, I have boiled a 70's black handle Super Speed and I think they have the same "paint" not to mention a Red Tip and a Blue Tip, A gold Tech....etc. They did not get hurt one bit.

The only thing you have to worry about boiling is if it has plastic on it. Check first.

Don't flatter me, I do not know that much about razors. :o

18. boyextraordinare

And boom goes the dynamite!

It's open, baby!

Thanks for all the tips, because I basically used everyone's advice to get it open.

I soaked it in mineral oil all day, then washed it clean, then immersed it in exceedingly hot - but not boiling - water replete with dishwashing detergent for some 20-30 minutes before twisting the damn thing open with a towel-clad hands.

Can't wait to use this sucka tomorrow.

A Big Thank You to All! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And if I buy another razor again, it will be a 38C. I AM DONE!

-Kaveh

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i remember when you said that about safety razors :)

20. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Whattttt???? You finally are on your way to becoming a Journeyman Gillettician and you want to quit???? Yikes!!

Stay the course! Next you will learn to take apart and clean a Fatboy in the dark in under 3 minutes! It will happen!!