Stirling - A Tale of Two Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BaylorGator, Aug 16, 2017.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, I actually have 5 Stirling brushes, but the title was catchier with the whole Charles Dickens' two title. Anyway, here's what I have and a little background about each:

Badger - 24mm bulb, 24mm fan, 26mm bulb
    The 24 mm badgers are very good (and some of my favorite badger brushes), but the 26mm is phenomenal. Very soft, very plush, and it is developing "gel tips" only a few shaves in. I have more expensive badger knots and brushes than my Stirlings, but absolutely none better than the Stirling 26mm. If you are looking for a really nice badger, I'd recommend this knot to compete with anything out there. For value, I don't think this brush can be beaten. Period.

Having said that, I have replaced the handle on one and am in the midst of replacing the other two with custom handles, as the Stirling handles are reasonably plain. With a custom handle, I'd put these brushes against any other I've encountered so far. (Note... I have not experienced any $200+ brushes, as I think spending that amount on a brush is just silly. No judgement on those who do this, however. This is just a personal thing.) Could these $200+ brushes be marginally better? Maybe, but I've got more expensive knots than the Stirling that are well respected but they don't compete. There is no way you can convince me that any brush is 2 or 4 times as good to warrant the difference. Just no way.

Synthetic - 22mm (travel brush)
    I've tried (and own) a number of synthetics (including cashmere, tuxedo, plisson, plisson silver tip, etc.) Stirling's synthetics are as good as any of these.

Boar - new Stirling Boar
    This one I'm not as excited about. I love the handle, but I'm just not a big boar brush guy. I like soft and not a ton of scrub or scritch. As such, I don't really like omega boars at all, and prefer the slightly softer Semogue in a boar brush, but typically I'd still reach for a badger 9 times out of 10. If you like good backbone and scrubby this is a good brush. More in line with an Omega with a nicer handle.

Hope this helps anyone who is looking at brushes.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good post, thanks.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I just ordered a brush from Frank's Shaving on eBay. Now I'm going to have to have a look at Stirling. This will give me an excuse to try thier Electric Sheep also.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Awesome review. I'm super happy with my Sheng but you make me want to try that 26mm

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.