Stirling Review (Sharp Dressed Man) no menthol

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Just shaved with Stirling Sharp Dressed Man and I'm not disappointed. For starters the scent on this soap is great just strong enough for you to know it's there but not overpowering. It's based on Creed Irish tweed and it's pretty close very masculine sweet yet musky.
    This soap lathered up incredibly easily and in seconds I had a nice thick dense lather. I only spent a few seconds loading and less than 30 seconds face lathering and it just exploded onto the face very luxurious lather indeed.
    On top of being thick this soap provides a very slick lather as well. By the second pass there was enough residual slickness that I could shave where there was no lather and get away with it. This is possibly the slickest soap I have.
    Post shave this soap feels nice my face still feels hydrated and smooth it definitely does the job in this department. Not surprising given the ingredients like Tallow, lanolin. and Glycerin. During the shave I did feel a slight burn not sure what it's from possibly castor oil or the fragrance oils I'm not judging the soap on this yet though need a few more uses to dial that in.
    At about $14 delivered for 5.8 ounces of this soap it's a steal. A little over $2 an ounce for a product of this caliber is a great deal and everyone should have a puck of this soap. This seems like a go to brand with the great prices the variety of scents and the high quality of the product it's a no brainer to recommend this soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody, brit, Shaver X and 5 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As part of my NB18 prep, I'm going to get a Stirling soap-not sure which one, but thanks for the review to get me thinking.

Jim99 and Yehuda D like this.
  3. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have thirty-some Stirling soaps------they are my top soaps for sure!!!

banks741938, Jim99 and Yehuda D like this.
  4. Paul Turner

that's an average of about 3 per type, right?

Yehuda D likes this.
  5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great review.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D and LevelupShaves like this.
  6. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

There is nothing average about them, for sure. I'm glad you like Sharp Dressed Man, scent and shave is tops!

Yehuda D and LevelupShaves like this.
  7. Paul Turner

well, I hope you know what I meant by "average". ":). Great company.

Yehuda D likes this.
  8. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Great review and here's my opinion on this magnificent soap:

Ease of lathering: 10/10--Explosive, rich, slick lather so easily and fast.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Perfect stability for a multi-pass shave.

General skincare: 10/10--Leaves the skin so well-moisturized and protected like all Stirling soaps I've used.

Scent: 10/10--Gorgeous. That Green Irish Tweed fragrance is exactly spot-on. Rod really nailed it.

Price: 10/10--Even with the exchange rate from CAD to USD it's very reasonably-priced.

Would I buy again: 10/10--As long as Rod keeps making it and as long as I live and breathe, this soap will be in my den. I LOVE it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've written more than once that Stirling Soap are the best on the market, if you love SDM you will go bonkers over Electric Sheep. The best overall soap I've ever used.

Paul Turner, Yehuda D and PLAla like this.
  10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I remember looking this one up, but shipping to Canada doesn't make it such a great deal. Unless anyone knows of another way to get my hands on it...:angry032:

brit likes this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Gentleman's Blade Company and Canadian Blade Company sell Stirling in Canada and I think one has $7.50 shipping and possibly free over $75

jtspartan and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I just got an E-mail from Doc Ezlovan about them introducing Electric Sheep as an Aftershave Splash. Gives me some thought, I'll say that.

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yep, I was pretty much there for about an hour already! Thanks! ;)

14. LevelupShaves

With $7-$8 shipping that puts it at around $20 still worth it in my opinion. Most soaps that perform this well are in the $18-$20 range for 4 ounces so at nearly 6 ounces Stirling is still a winner.

Stu929 likes this.
  15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im what ways are SDM and Electric Sheep similar? I saw the comment and scratched my head. I have several samples electric sheep being one of them. Not sure if mutton lathers easier but it worked like a champ. My only issue was while I wanted to love it the citronella was stronger than I had hoped and while performance is great I can't get past the smell.

That being said out of the samples we got Executive Man, Witchy Woman, and Sunflower Fields will all likely be constants in our future. Already have Ececutive man soap and AS on their way to me.

I should have mentioned I have not tried SDM I meant to get it with the other samples and missed it.
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

16. LevelupShaves

I kind of wondered the same thing lol. From what I've been told Electric Sheep is similar to an Arko/Williams kind of smell. SDC is fashioned after a Cologne made for Clark Gable not sure these things line up. That being said I'm sure Electric Sheep is an excellent performer though.

Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Don't take my comment the wrong way ES performed great, possibly the best of my Stirling samples I've tried. I just wasn't fond of the citronella and the wife doesn't like the smell.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

18. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice review. SDM is a great Green Irish Tweed clone with the performance and value as all Stirling soaps are.
    ES along with a few other scents uses the mutton tallow base which performs great and has a nice post shave feel though the scent of ES, while not bad, was not my favorite.

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yeah at least one of those two sites were in canadian dollars. I put in my samples order!

20. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Look at maggards . They carry stirling and I know thier international shipping is reasonable. Also you might want to look into their international edge program. One time fee for unlimited free shipping for a year and they may also have one for 6 months

Paul Turner likes this.