Storing your Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Blah, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

2 months, for 1.75 oz? Y'know, I'm beginning to figure that those who order large size pucks don't do canned anymore. (That may deserve a "DUH" so I'm prepared, lol).

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Pucks last sooooo long. I have ones that just seem to last forever (tabac and klar especially). They are actually cheaper in the long run over canned goo...and lord knows they are better for the skin and smell nicer

Paul Turner and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It took me a good 20 uses before I couldn't see the word "TABAC" that is stamped into the top of the soap any more. And I load HEAVY!

PickledNorthern and Paul Turner like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I keep soaps that are not in the current rotation in closed containers or ziploc bags in the basement fridge. To optimize my storage and to prevent mistaking a soap puck for a late night snack, I keep everything together in a small basket.

upload_2016-10-5_12-46-23.png

:ban:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. Goodlad

Goodlad Active Member

As @Straight razor dandy mentioned, the IKEA Grundtal containers work really well. They are stainless steel with a clear top and a magnet on the bottom.

Attached Files:

Shaver X likes this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Most of my soaps I keep in their original tubs. I do buy some stand alone pucks such as the Art of Shaving Lemon seen below. I shred the soap with a cheese grater and press it into a 1 cup size glass pyrex storage container with plastic lid. Works great. They're stackable and I load my brush right in the container.
    Pyrex.jpg

7. Paul Turner

This is a good thread-I don't know where I'll be with my current and future pucks by the time warm weather comes and Ill go to cooler items.

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I think Stirling soaps make the best warm/hot weather soaps, bar none.

ohbrian and Paul Turner like this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Those outlets look like they've seen something that cannot be unseen :D

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

That's why I normally keep the soaps stacked higher in that area.

PickledNorthern and tuxxdk like this.
  11. Jeeves of Hudson Street

Jeeves of Hudson Street Active Member

i keep soaps that come in a container in the container, but when it comes to storing pucks i normally keep them in a few of my old spice mugs or other such shave bowls. if i do need to move a soap out so that i can do a bowl lather on a sample of soap I have a soap dish (looks like a small plate, that has some ridges in the bottom) that i will set a puck or two on and it will allow them to air dry and not make a huge mess.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I do the same thing, some of my pucks are in original containers such as my Razo Rock., the others in original wrappers. Once I open those I store them in Ziplock plastic containers, they function the same as the pyrex, but are unbreakable and cheaper. I also load from the container. My Arko sticks(my soap of choice) I cut up and mash into Ziplock containers as I prefer to bowl lather..:happy088:

Col C likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You should be just fine in the foreseeable future.

Paul Turner and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Paul Turner

right-there's good space below my sink for "off-season" stuff.

15. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I usually just use the original containers to store the soaps. If I am using a soap regularly, it goes into a mug or bowl.
    Most times I end up using a soap until it is almost gone before switching, and then I will experiment by combining other soaps or creams as I finish it off.
    But I will put them back in their container if I switch them out altogether for another soap.

Just found these at an outlet store for $.89. Small Plastic Reusable Snack Containers with Lids 8 Fl Oz.
    They are microwave safe, so plan to use them to melt and then store some combo soaps.
    Minnie Mouse Snack.jpg

MObigfoot likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I like that...will look into getting something similar to yours, English.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  17. DanielLee5

DanielLee5 New Member

looks stunning!

leepalmer likes this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My soaps are all in their original containers or an aftermarket 4 oz tub that I purchase from West Coast Shaving. My storage situation requires me to "label" my soaps on the side, rather than on the top. Works for me.
    IMG_9696.jpg

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I need to hire you for your organizational skills! What are your brushes hanging on? Looks like the solution I should have thought of.

HERM

Primotenore likes this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They are old tool hangers that were on a wooden board attached to my basement wall when we bought the house in 1994. There that sat unused until I had my wet shaving renaissance in 2014. Not all my brushes fit and I don't put my CH 1-3's in them. They have a more distinguished place of honor.:)
    IMG_9697.jpg

PatrickA51 and wristwatchb like this.