Straight razor beginnings

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PLAla, Feb 3, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

There are many straight razor users and enthusiasts on TSD. One of my shaving goals of 2016 is to try straight shaving. However, I am a total, complete SR beginner.

I'm sure there are some threads on here about SR beginning technique. What other resources are good or trustworthy?

I have three razors and two strops courtesy of a generous PIF by @Troy M. I would probably use straights on the weekends or on days with a little more time to shave.

I want to try SR at some point this year but I am not rushing into it. I need some further time to develop DE technique first.

My SR knowledge is truly that of a raw beginner. Any introductory resources, threads, videos, etc. that you guys recommend to me would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Marverel, J.R. and Troy M like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I keep rereading the info in the stickies. as my experience grows the information contained there means more.
    I'm not a member at straight razor place, but Google has taken me there quite a bit.
    I've found that chasing the best shave and learning to shave with a straight razor at the same time to be difficult.
    I got more by just concentrating on form with the straight.

PLAla likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Perry, I would recommend you develop a sound DE technique before jumping into straight razors. Each requires a different technique. You'll probably need to use a DE razor for clean-up as you are learning to use a straight razor. There is simply no rushing into the relatively steep learning curve in using a straight.
    There are plenty of YouTube videos depicting men using straight razors. Watch all that you able to in order to familiarize yourself with the techniques used. Not everybody uses the same technique, but you'll begin to see similarities in many of the repeated techniques (how the razor is held, shave direction, etc.).
    Learning to master SR shaving takes both ample time and patience— but well worth it, IMO. :happy088:

RyX and PLAla like this.
  4. PLAla

I certainly aim to try it slowly, and not any time soon. I want plenty of time to read and watch resources before I ever even try it, thereby allowing more and more time to develop DE technique.

5. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on you're experience, I want to get into SR a little down the road too. Need to get DE down a little better first.

PLAla likes this.
  6. PLAla

I will. I'm like you in that DE technique is more important right now. But down the line I want to try straights.

J.R. likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I watched Lynn Abrams videos and then in a quiet house almost three years ago I had at it. I learned as I went and didn't know forums existed.

Skin stretching, going slow, and only with the grain at first helped. There was blood, there was learning to strop and the damage to the strops I kept causing. But I won't go back. I will use a DE on occasion but I love my straights.

If your prep is solid and you can make lather you are farther ahead than I was

Rub your fingers on an alum block for stretching soapy skin. That trick also works for stropping. When learning how to strop you can use a butter knife and a rolled up newspaper so you don't nick your goods strop.

Go slow and good luck

PLAla likes this.