Straight razor honing?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Jan 15, 2018.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I am deciding wether or not to send off my razor or do it myself. I enjoy learning and doing things myself. What all do I need to do it?

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If this is your first str8, send it out so you know what a true shaving edge is.
    For the diy, you’ll need either lapping film or a set of hones, and time to learn the skill. Of course a strop is a must have.

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  3. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

As far as what grit hones you need, I've heard differing opinions. The first set of advice I got was a 5000 and 8000, so that's what I bought. That seems to work for getting my new razors a little sharper, but I was having trouble with my antiques. I also have a 12000, but that's essentially perfectly smooth and has not noticeable effect on anything. Then I was told 5000 is way too high to have as the coarsest stone, and that I should have a 1000 and 3000. Since my barber has some straight razors in his shop, I ask him. He admitted he wasn't sure because he uses shavettes, but he said, "I've got a hone just sitting in a draw since I bought the shop, you can have it." Now I'm not completely sure what it is, but it's double sided and my best guess is a 400/1000. Combining the mystery identity of the hone with my admitted lack of experience, I've been a little nervous to actually use it, but I did give it a try with one of my worst razors. The results weren't exactly miraculous, but it did seem to help. I'm sure more guys on here can add their advice, and hopefully, not too conflicting. But I will say this, if you buy new hones, they can be EXPENSIVE!

4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

IMO, to do honing yourself all you really need is an 8000 and a 12000. Some would say that you need a 4000 to set the bevel but if youre learining, you probably dont want to try to set the bevel yourself.
    For the most part, the 12000 should be all you need, with maybe using the 8000 occasionally when the strop and 12K isnt enough and if you need more than that, youd probably better just send it out.
    With the more aggressive stones, you need to be careful because they can remove material quickly.

5. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

Well, that certainly contradicted what I said. I honestly didn't notice any change when I started using a 12000 stone (but maybe I'm just not any good at honing... I'm really not sure). I'll admit, in my frothing excitement to try new things, I tend to buy first and research later, but I've seen other people say to skip the 12000.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Honing and refreshing an edge are totally different topics. You can "get by" with say a Norton 4/8k combination stone. You can set a bevel on the 4k with some time and effort, which is where the 1K comes into play. You can shave off the 8k, which is where the 12K comes into play.
    I get good results with the Nortons 1/4/8K and 1 micron lapping film as the finisher. I also have the translucent Arkie as a finisher. I also have a couple barbers hones for touch ups. I get good results from my set up and see no reason to change (get more stones) anytime soon. With that said; I hone as a means to get decent, sharp edges and good shaves, not for the actual fun of honing. To some, honing is a hobby in itself and enjoy the whole aspect of it, including the ad's that drive them to acquire multiple stones.
    If one wants to sharpen a few razors to use and to maintain, I would still say lapping film is an excellent gateway to the process. LF is as simple, affordable and repeatable as it gets.

Newcreature, Karl G, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Back in the day before laws and bloodbourne pathogens forced the move to shavettes, barbers uses to hone their straight razors between clients using what was called a, "barber's hone" that was typically 18k or finer.
    For the most part, a strop or the fabric side of a strop with some kind of abrasive compound should be all you need, with a Touchups hone every few months. You could easily pick up a barber hone for when you need that.

Arnout, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If I could like this ^^^^, more than once, I would. I have only been sharpening my own razors for about a year now; mostly maintaining edges, but have sharpened some from the bevel up.

If you start with an already properly honed razor, a guy rarely needs any coarser than a 12k and/or some 1 micron film. I don’t think I have had to take a previously well honed razor any lower than 8k to put an edge back. It is a lot of just learning to work with the tools you have, and then figuring out how you like your edges to feel.

Newcreature, Karl G, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  9. jason koonce

Lol it’s a restoration so it has to get bevel edge I’m about to take a file to get rid of the frown at the heel

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Jared, I have a Franz Swaty and a Frictionite barbers hone, that I use when a razor gets a little “ tuggy” , A half dozen laps and a good Stropping, brings the edge back.

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

Barbers hones make me nervous, just because of their small size. I had one that I PIFfed to a newbie, and I always felt like I should sit down with it at a table, to keep the blade properly flat on it. Then I figured if I was gonna sit down and touch it up, I could just as well use a finisher. I am a little less timid now in general, but still have never tried one.

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A file may chip the edge - sandpaper on plate glass or lapped marble/granite tile would be better if you don't have a diamond plate or coarse stone.

Cheers, Steve

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This yahoo demonstrates how to use a barber hone. He acts like he knows what he’s talking about ;)

gssixgun, Karl G, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree. Stay away from files.

15. PickledNorthern

I don’t know, think I can trust him? Lotsa bad advice on YouTube.

gssixgun, Karl G, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:happy097:

17. jason koonce

Lol ok I will avoid fines and stick to the paper to get rid of it. I just got to find a deal on stones I normally do pretty well at new things so I may give it my best shot.

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Best Advice I Can Offer..Learn to Strop & Shave..Send the Razor Out to get it Honed..Jumping in to Hone SRs without Learning to Shave & Strop will Just Confuse a Beginner..Also Mixed Well Intended Advice..Learn to Shave & Strop for a Maybe 4/6 Months..A Barbers Hone Wont Help You here..;)

Learning to Hone a Razor without being Competent with Shaving & Stropping & Knowing what a Proper Shave Ready Razor Feels Like...Is Like Looking for a Black Cat in a Dark Room..:shocked003:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Newcreature, RezDog, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great advice Billy. That is exactly the route that I took.

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:signs011:

Karl G, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.