Straight razor honing?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Jan 15, 2018.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Also if you want accurate info you need to post a pic of the razor you are trying to fix..

If it is the same DD from your other thread you need a 1k at the least, as you are looking at Edge Restoration before you even start honing.

3. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

This is very good advice.

4. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

There is really no mystery to it, honing is simply that, honing. The only way you will learn is to do it, pick a single teacher and follow that advice until you are proficient at it, then branch out and try new things or stones.
    You will need a 1k to set the bevel and a 10x loupe (belomo), to see if the bevel is truly set. If your bevel is not 100% set nothing else matters, you will never achieve what you want. As for the loupe, don’t buy cheap crap, a $4 eBay Chinese made thing will never be a $30 belomo
    Next move to a 4k and hone until all of the scratches from the 1k are removed (loupe).
    Do the same on an 8k and finally a 12k or natural finisher. Strop and shave.
    A paddle strop will work best for the beginning as there is really no learning curve. If the shave is rough, either you didn’t strop enough or you didn’t spend enough time on the finisher.
    Other things I’d recommend are a stone holder, atoma 400x for keeping your stones flat (Atoma are the better of dmt in every single way, you will go through multiple dmts before a single atoma). A dressing stone to clean the stones and 3m or kapton tape for the spine. Especially if you are new to honing, tape will prevent you from unevenly wearing the spine. Use a sharpie to paint the edge, this will show you exactly what is happening with the edge on the hone, you may need to use a rolling stroke to ensure the entire edge contacts the stone.
    Other than that it’s time, patience and practice.
    There are other cheaper options available and if you’d like to discuss them further I’d be happy to help.

5. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I still haven’t had a chance to work on the frown yet but hopefully I can make some time today to do it and post pictures. I’m still pricing around options for it all thank you all for the help so far!!

Spyder, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.